1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Peeling dash

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tomwopat, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Mar 15, 2012 at 7:26 AM
    tomwopat

tomwopat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Prerunner
    I have a 2012 with a peeling dash... It's a small area on the driver side, near the defrost vent. I believe the truck was manufactered Oct/11 (from the sticker on door) and I purchased Dec/11. I've used Armor All to clean with 1 time, other than that no other chemicals. The dealer is going to "fix" it but I was wondering if anyone has heard or seen this before?
    Thanks

IMG_2702.jpg
    IMG_5365.jpg

2. Mar 15, 2012 at 7:30 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    I have never seen this, and did not even know it could peel. I thought it was a solid color all the way through the material, not just a coating. Anyway, I would suggest that the dealer replace the dash, and not "fix" it, as in trying to touch it up, since there might be a manufacturing issue and it will just peel elsewhere sometime soon.

3. Mar 15, 2012 at 7:31 AM
    floridaoccifer

floridaoccifer Civil Servant

Member:

WOW! :eek:

I am sorry but that is pure BULLSH**, I dont know if I would be happy with a "dealer fix" on my brand new truck for this...

Please keep us updated and best of luck on the outcome

4. Mar 15, 2012 at 12:15 PM
    angrysam

angrysam Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Somebody's Shit List
    Vehicle:
    2.9 Gen- Not a cunt.
    Fleshlight and an old Farrah Fawcett poster.
    I've seen it on GMs when I was there. We used a company that came out to the shop. They'd clean the dash, prep it, custom mix the color and spray it. Guy did an awesome job.

My big concern here would be if the dash was prepped right at the factory. Hopefully they just missed this one little spot and the entire dash isn't suspect. Keep an eye on it and make sure you report other areas right away.

5. Mar 15, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    808hiker

808hiker Taco addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Looks like the factory just dipped the whole dash in plastiderp. :eek:

6. Mar 15, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    DueNorth

DueNorth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 BSP TRD Sport DCSB 6sp
    Never seen our dash peel like that! If that was my 2012 I'd be demanding an entire new dash...

7. Mar 15, 2012 at 3:27 PM
    spithead051

spithead051 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4x4 OR S/C'ed!
    Supercharger, ICON 2.5VS w/ CDC, TRD T/X Pro Wheels, 255/85/R16 BFG MT KM2's, APEX three hoop bumper, Smittybilt X20 Comp Gen 2, Allpro IFS skid, All-Pro Sliders, Dynomax exhaust, aFe Stage 2 si, URD 2.85 stealth pulley, Oil pressure, oil temperature, boost, A/F ratio gauges, Devil horns, WO seat covers
    Request a new top dash piece, that's a good sign that they might have used bad paint or the surface wasn't prepped right or they didn't let it dry long enough before install at the factory.

8. Mar 15, 2012 at 3:48 PM
    Hairy Taco

Hairy Taco Jungle of Love

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    North of Hell
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    Is Armor All really that damaging to the dash. I have been using it periodically since I bought my truck new in 08. My dash is in perfect condition.

What do most of you guys use to clean/maintain your dashboards?

9. Mar 15, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    Navigator

Navigator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport 6spd
    17" American Racing Assaults on 265/70/17 Goodyear AT/S, TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Toyota Roof Rack, XM install with antenna out 3rd brake light, Red LED Map Lights, AUX Amber LED rocker switch for LED footwell lights, LUND Bug Screen, EXTANG Tri-Fold Tonneau, Hertz Component Speakers w/ TacoTunes Mounts, Infinity Kappa 4 amp, Image Dynamics 10" sub in TacoTunes enclosure, Pop n' Lock, Toyota Aluminum Wedge Running Boards, BHLM, Self Performed '05 Cowl Leak TSB, E-Z Cool Insulation/Sound Deadener applied to floorboard, headliner, and cab bulkhead, 896 Foglight bulbs as backup lights, Weathertechs, Pioneer Double Din, Scan Gauge, AutoSoft Remote Start, 2010 4Runner Heated/Signal/Puddle Mirrors.
    I have always just used a clean micro-fibre rag. I can't stand a slimy glossy looking dash.

10. Mar 15, 2012 at 5:56 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    aerospace 303 protectant

11. Mar 15, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    I had a 2007 Tundra ... and that "first year model" had problems with "peeling dash"s (maybe water based primer problems).

The problem with "fixin the dash" is the "fixin part" ... it is super hard to get the dash back to how it was originally bench manufactured.

Have you ever seen a photo of a dash taken apart ... :eek: ... one was posted on TW somewhere. ... but I can't find it ... :confused:

It is worse than seeing sausage or hot dogs being made. ... :eek:

Good luck man ... and keep us posted ... :D

12. Mar 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    TastyHuman

TastyHuman Oh. Bummer.

Member:
    I'd be wary of having them install a new dash, sounds like a formula for rattles and squeaks.

As far as Armorall, IMO it promotes rot rather than preventing it. I used it years ago and it turned out that vinyl that had been armoralled cracked faster than vinyl that was just left alone. Read an article about it once that it "works" by wicking oils from the inside of the vinyl to the surface causing it to rot from the inside out. Nasty stuff.

The aerospace 303 is good because it protects against UV. I've always used neatsfoot oil to add oils back to old vinyl, new materials are better protected from the factory so if you use anything the 303 is probably all you'd need.

13. Mar 15, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    808hiker

808hiker Taco addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island, Hawaii
    I would use 303 Aerospace Protectant too.

On the Taco though, I've never used anything on the dash and gonna just keep it that way.

That's pretty disappointing for a Toyota. The dash of the company Chevrolet Silverado is peeling away just like that but worse.

14. Mar 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM
    pickle

pickle UAW made TEAMSTER driven

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    tacoma, wa.
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd or 4x4 access cab
    5100's, rear leaf tsb, snugtop shell, wet okole's, weather-techs
    amorall is oil based, which causes the cracking so i been told. i use stp conditioner, no petroleum in it. i wouldnt use anything that is petroleum based.So let dealer repair it, if it doesnt hold up, then ask them nicely to replace it. Dont be mad, shit happens. Be reasonable and rational and dealer will take care you. My dealer in Vegas(Findlay) took care of all my wants&needs i.e; arm rests loosened, rear leaf tsb, replaced 2 tires and re-balanced, checked& recharged A/C, all for free and free car rental. go to service department, sit n watch service advisors work a while. Decide which one is the friendliest, ask for him to wait on you. Treat him with utmost RESPECT, be NICE, LISTEN to what he suggests and be willing to NEGOTIATE any work as he sees fit. If it doesnt work out, Then demand Gently for complete satiafaction on second try. These workers are diligently monitored for customer satisfaction by Toyota, They will make it right even if it takes many visits.

15. Mar 16, 2012 at 7:02 AM
    tomwopat

Member:
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Prerunner
    Thanks all for the suggestions/responses.
    I was debating on new dash or dealer fix but a few mentioned a new dash wouldn't be the same, which is what I was thinkin...
    Thus far the service writer has been very polite and willing to "right" the problem and give me a free rental. So for the next visit, I'll let them attempt the fix and just keep a close eye on it (and needless to say, beat the $hit out of the rental). I'll post back with the outcome.
    Thanks again.

16. Mar 16, 2012 at 7:10 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    I have a feeling that you will always see the repaired section but anyone that did not know there was a problem will never see it.

303 is one of the best products out there. Just use a clean microfiber to apply and remove.

17. Mar 16, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    I see no problem with "fixing" it, but thats cause our guy that comes here does a excellent job, but at the same time, i wouldnt hesitate to replace it either. There is absolutely nothing wrong with replacing it, there is no reason it "wouldnt be the same". I have yet to install a new dash in any vehicle that the customer wasnt happy with. Plus the upper part that you are having the problem with can be swapped in an hours time, or less.

18. Mar 16, 2012 at 7:21 AM
    MrGrimm

MrGrimm Mall Crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD w/TRD Sport Package
    See build page
    ^yuuup

19. Mar 16, 2012 at 7:59 AM
    spithead051

spithead051 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4x4 OR S/C'ed!
    Supercharger, ICON 2.5VS w/ CDC, TRD T/X Pro Wheels, 255/85/R16 BFG MT KM2's, APEX three hoop bumper, Smittybilt X20 Comp Gen 2, Allpro IFS skid, All-Pro Sliders, Dynomax exhaust, aFe Stage 2 si, URD 2.85 stealth pulley, Oil pressure, oil temperature, boost, A/F ratio gauges, Devil horns, WO seat covers
    I use this stuff called Ice. It comes in a blue bottle from Advance. It seems to work pretty well at keeping things clean and it doesn't leave much of a film on things I wipe it clean with, plus it doesn't smell like cleaner. I might take a look at 303.

20. Apr 5, 2012 at 7:14 AM
    tomwopat

Member:
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Prerunner
    Well my dash started to peel in multiple areas, so when I scheduled the appointment with Toyota, I requested a new dash. They couldn’t agree to a replacement until pictures were sent out to get approval. I dropped the truck off 4/3/12 @ 9:30am and was called around noon saying that it was approved for replacement and they would order the dash.
    I asked the service writer and the service manager if Toyota had changed the way the new dashes were made (I.E. paint, dip…) and they could not confirm any changes.
    Received a call 4/4/12 @3pm that the truck was ready. They asked what type of cleaner I had used and I told them about the armor all. Apparently there is some sort of issue going on because the service person was instructed to ask me what I had used and was to report back. She just said that Toyota has had some complaints and they were looking into what was causing it. I’m supposed to have someone contact me to ask a few questions.
    Overall the dealership did a good job: (1) Polite (2) Free rental (not a truck though) (3) A decent job replacing (a few minor scratches) (4) extremely fast turnaround.
    Thanks again everyone for the advice.

Products Discussed in

To Top