1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rail Mount Fishing Rack!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mitchbuck, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Mar 18, 2012 at 8:09 PM
    mitchbuck

mitchbuck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cape Cod
    Vehicle:
    12 Taco 2xCab SR5
    I used a lot of advice that I found on this forum and was able to construct a fishing rod rack in my bed! I wanted to be able to keep my rods secure in the bed and out of the cab. The cross bars are made out of 1" square aluminum tubing that are attached to the bed rails using right angled pieces of aluminum (not sure what the name is). The right angled pieces are fixed to the rail using the T-bolts that I found at fastenal using info I read here! Since the crossbars are attached to the rails I can move it to any position that I want in the bed. I mounted a 4-rod rack on it for now, with plans to add different styles of rod holders in the future to hold fly rods and such.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Mar 18, 2012 at 8:10 PM
    YoaterBoater

YoaterBoater Well-Known Member

Member:
    Running tubes, Toolbox
    Dang man thats great! Ill have to post a picture of mine me and my dad made. Same rod racks, but mine is hinged. Great job!

3. Mar 18, 2012 at 8:14 PM
    jeckel7234

jeckel7234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Add-a-Leaf, Leveling Kit, 31.5 Nitto Grapplers, Mag-Lite Mod, Anit-Key in the ignition beep mod, Tail gate theft mod, Trifecta tonneau cover, washable cabin air filter,
    honestly cant believe that hasnt come to me. good stuff though i think i may just make one where to pole holders go vertically up the bed rail so they dont take up all that room

4. Mar 18, 2012 at 8:16 PM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    I have been thinking about a rod holder for a couple of weeks. I like this set up but I usually have some kids and some of my brothers in the bed of the truck while I am on my way to fishing. I was thinking more of the line of the pvc pipe rod holder style, but I really like how this one looks , nice job!!!

5. Mar 18, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    mitchbuck

Member:
    Cape Cod
    Vehicle:
    12 Taco 2xCab SR5
    Thanks guys this was my first attempt. I have a literider cover and the rods are completely covered when the cover is rolled out. One thing I want to do is cut the right angle pieces down so I can raise the bar as currently they sit really low in the bed. The one downside is that it does take over the bed making it difficult to put other stuff or people in there. If I do need to put other stuff in I can slide the rails back/forward to get them out of the way. I also considered doing it vertically, but I have a lot of big saltwater setups that need a lot of space.

6. Mar 18, 2012 at 9:43 PM
    SxDx

SxDx Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX
    Looks great man. Im in the process of figuring something out for my rods as well. Also thinking of going vertical as others have stated here but your setup looks awesome.
    Do you mind if I use your picture to illustrate what I have in mind?

Very interested in seeing the hinged setup, Sounds like it would be exactly what I want to do.

7. Mar 18, 2012 at 10:39 PM
    cliffhucker

cliffhucker Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sam
    idaho
    Vehicle:
    10' Tacoma SR5 TRD Off Road
    Weather-Tech
    looks cool, but why not make the front rail shorter so the rods fit over a closed tailgate? If they're angled that high, then there really isn't any way another car or person will bump them or anything, and then your bed doesn't have to be open and you can safely leave you're day's catch in back. my $0.02

8. Mar 19, 2012 at 6:03 AM
    mitchbuck

Member:
    Cape Cod
    Vehicle:
    12 Taco 2xCab SR5
    Go right ahead! I mainly didn't go vertical because I have literider cover and want to be able to 'hide' the rods in the bed if needed. I was also thinking that you could lay rods horizontally, but in a vertical configuration so they go up one side of the bed wall.

Most of my rods are 2 piece (the one in photo is 1 piece) so I should have no problem with the tailgate up and cover on. I was playing with that 1-piece rod in the bed yesterday and if I angle it over the tailgate, I found that I can close the cover and the rod tip just sneaks out between the gate/cover. I will end adjusting the crossbar height or adding additional rod holder configurations that allow me to get 1 piece rods up over the tailgate. I will post back when I make adjustments.

9. Mar 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM
    soup1279

soup1279 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Pottstown, PA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road MT Quicksand/Black
    Looks nice!

I've been trying to come up with something for a while now for mine. Problem is I have a cap. With the current set up I have it's a pain to get them out. I almost have to climb on the tailgate to lift them out. It's a shame too because the current set up functions well otherwise.[​IMG]

As a test (not pictured above) I reversed the holders so that the loop is in the front (closest to the cab) and the hook is in the rear (closest to the tailgate) This has made it much easier to get the the rods into the truck but harder to get them out w/o getting up on the tailgate.

10. Mar 19, 2012 at 10:08 AM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Great little rack. I'm looking for some solution that allows me to pack gear, and then have the rods project over the top of the gear. All of the rods I usually pack are 7' or larger, so the hard travel cases I have only fit diagonally in the bed and stick out up over the tailgate.

11. Mar 19, 2012 at 10:53 AM
    SxDx

SxDx Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX
    Here's an example of what I've been wanting to do. I'd like the rack to be able to swing out towards the drivers side so that it can be easier to load/unload the rods.

[​IMG]

12. Mar 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM
    mitchbuck

Member:
    Cape Cod
    Vehicle:
    12 Taco 2xCab SR5
    SXDX - That looks like a sweet idea too! I wanted me rods horizontal so I didn't have to worry about driving around town or on the highway. Another option is you could take those rod holders, turn them 45 or 90 degrees and mount them on the side rails. That way the tips are lower and you can access them from one side.

Products Discussed in

To Top