1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Collinite 845 - Paint sealant

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by S7ICKlVlAN, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Mar 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM
    S7ICKlVlAN

S7ICKlVlAN [OP] Cpt. Bubbleguts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD badged | Hunting Cage | Smoked Tails | LED Everything | Slim Cubby HID bi-xenon's | Spidertrax 1.25" | BHLM | FLM | S2000 Ant | 20% Shade | PL 8521 | OME 885 | Bilstein 5100's | Toytec 2" AAL | FN 18x9" Bronze BFD's | 275/65-18 Duratrac's | Wrinkle Red Valve Covers | 3M Di-Noc Wrapped Interior | Kode MB Push Button Ignition | Relentless Sliders | URD TCAI | Mr.Marv Enclosure | Arc Audio 10" | Hybrid Audio Clarus F/R | Alpine PDX-5 | Alpine INE-S920HD
    I finally got a chance to go to work on the finish on my somewhat new Tacoma. The white is a single stage and I felt the most important thing to do was get a good sealer on it. I spoke to a couple of local detailers, but wasn't satisfied with the products they were using which seemed more profit-centric rather than quality oriented. After quite a bit of research, I ended up grabbing some Collinite 845 for a couple of reasons:

1) Its for my daily driver and 845 is widely considered the most durable/longest lasting sealant.
    2) My Taco stays out in the elements on my driveway and it need something tough.
    3) Though 845 doesn't look shabby by any means, it's not on par with products like Souveran but it's durability is paramount and the cost is on point.

I started by stripping off the Meg's Ultimate carnauba with some Ultimate polish. I used my Makita to buff the panels till they were squeaky clean. I then used Adam's detail spray to wipe clean all the remnants of the polish. I used the baggy check and locate a couple small patches where fallout had set in and I commenced removal with some fine clay. Following that, I swapped pads to a finishing pad and started applying the Collinite 845.

Per the sticky's on Autogeek, the Collinite needs to be shaken vigorously and heated/left in the sun to get it to liquify completely. Once this was done, I poured some into a spray bottle to ensure a thin application. 845 application is straight forward and simple. I went around the whole truck and allowed time for the layer to flash completely before using a plush MF towel to remove the flash.

The finished product is glossy and seems pretty hard. The Megs Ultimate carnauba provided a slightly deeper gloss and felt more slick to the touch. As the 845 cured throughout the day, it seems to have gotten a little more slick and I can tell by the residue left on my hands, that this stuff is gonna be tough. Adhesion of the product is largely dependent on the amount/quality of the prep and by all indications, it seems to have adhered quite well.

I finished up the job by applying the 845 to my new wheels. Again, application was easy and removal the same. It's safe to use on powdercoated kicks.

I feel much better knowing my paint is protected and I think Collinite 845 is going to replace a lot of the other finishing waxes I have sitting in the garage. Good stuff, super durable, and cost effective. Check out the link at the top of the page for more info and history on Collinite 845.

2. Mar 24, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    S7ICKlVlAN

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD badged | Hunting Cage | Smoked Tails | LED Everything | Slim Cubby HID bi-xenon's | Spidertrax 1.25" | BHLM | FLM | S2000 Ant | 20% Shade | PL 8521 | OME 885 | Bilstein 5100's | Toytec 2" AAL | FN 18x9" Bronze BFD's | 275/65-18 Duratrac's | Wrinkle Red Valve Covers | 3M Di-Noc Wrapped Interior | Kode MB Push Button Ignition | Relentless Sliders | URD TCAI | Mr.Marv Enclosure | Arc Audio 10" | Hybrid Audio Clarus F/R | Alpine PDX-5 | Alpine INE-S920HD
    Thought I would follow up my initial review. Went through some pretty hard rain this week and the truck was filthy about an hour ago. I decided it was bath time and as usual took the hose to the truck to soften up the dirt before giving it a wash.

The first thing I noticed was that the water would bead (not sheet) off far too fast. The finish was so repellent that the water wouldn't stick!

Secondly, most of the stuck on dirt just washed off with the first/second pass of the hose. This left me a fine layer of dirt water spots to wash off. Upon washing it off, I decided to start with a new fine wash brush I bought for the lower panels. To my delight, the dirt/water spots came off with very little effort and minimal pressure on the brush.

Finally, in wiping the truck down, I usually use a water blade to get the beads off. I noticed the finish that the 845 left was more tacky and that using my Absorber was actually faster. One pass with a well wrung out Absorber left no water/streaks at all....NICE! I'm thoroughly pleased with the results so far and the 845 cut my wash time by about 30%.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I sealed the wheels with 845 as well. Brake dust was almost zero and cleaning the wheels was a snap with a single pass of the Absorber following a quick brush with my wheel brush.

845 is the truth!

3. Mar 25, 2012 at 8:01 AM
    cintocrunch

cintocrunch Special Substitute Guest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport MGM 6MT
    Anytime fogs, Leer Tonneau
    I also use 845 and love it...I use Opti-Seal every 6 months and 845 every 3 months and never have beading issues...Not the warmest gloss but for the durability on a DD I love it!

4. Mar 25, 2012 at 10:45 AM
    S7ICKlVlAN

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    Good stuff Cinto. I have been contemplating jumping to Opti-Coat 2.0.....I like the idea of never having perm protection.

5. Mar 25, 2012 at 11:06 AM
    Noobaru

Noobaru CAPS LOCK FTW

Member:
    Federal Way, WA
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB OR Voodoo Blue
    Stock for now...
    I've been using a opti-seal and OCW combination for a few years as my final steps after polishing and has been working well for me on white vehicles. I was looking at opti-coat again when i bought my truck but decided against it. I like to mess with the paint too much on my vehicles and it sounds like (according to OPT) the only way to remove the coating is by polishing.

I was reading a thread on autopia about the 845 vs plastic protectors/restores and seemed to blow away the others it was compare to. Actually made the textured plastics bead like paint and kept them nice looking color wise.

6. Mar 25, 2012 at 12:35 PM
    cintocrunch

cintocrunch Special Substitute Guest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport MGM 6MT
    Anytime fogs, Leer Tonneau
    I used the opti-seal, not the opti-coat...I like polishing and claying and all that too much to buy a permanent coat...The opti-seal was real easy to apply, basically just apply a thin coat over the entire vehicle, let it sit overnight, apply your wax the next day and you're good to to...

7. Mar 25, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    S7ICKlVlAN

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    That sounds pretty good too. I think Imma give Opti-Coat a shot though. I'll just spread Permanon all over it when I feel like detailing. I'll be sure to post up feedback. You on AG forums too Cinto?

8. Mar 25, 2012 at 8:39 PM
    COMAtose HI

COMAtose HI Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD SPORT 4x4
    6" Procomp Stage 1 Suspension Lift, Custom 6" Alcan Springs, N-Fab Side Steps, Husky Floor Liners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Debadged, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, 13" Antenna from AntennaX.com, 35% Tint for front windows, Procomp 7032 Series 18x9 wheels, 33x12.50 Nitto Mud Grappler tires
    mahalos for the product review!!! i gotta look into this

9. Mar 25, 2012 at 8:57 PM
    S7ICKlVlAN

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    You'll like it. Well priced and hella protection.

10. Mar 28, 2012 at 12:34 AM
    DDZPyrite

DDZPyrite Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite 4x4 TRD Off Road
    I used Permanon on my truck when I got it new in January and so far it has been excellent. When it rains on the H3 I don't really need to use my wipers (@ 60-65 mph) the rain just runs off. I'd have to say the best thing about Permanon is how easy it is to apply and take off (the worst is the price:eek:)

I also use Wolf's Nano Bathe. That stuff is really good as well. They claim a barrier (nano) between wash mitt and surface of paint to prevent scratching, and I must say the wash mitt slides and glides across the surface very easy. All products are from PakShak on Sand Island access road behind Aloha Power Equipment.

11. Mar 28, 2012 at 12:42 AM
    S7ICKlVlAN

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    Werd! I was just there today buying more stuff. I asked Ron and Ranney to bring in some Opti-Coat 2.0 for me. I am going to give it a shot on the Tacoma on the next go round. You on the Pakshak or Autogeek forums too?

12. Mar 28, 2012 at 8:10 PM
    DDZPyrite

DDZPyrite Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Yep, I just joined Pakshak's forum this week. :headbang:

13. Mar 28, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    S7ICKlVlAN

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    Sweet. I'll see you there as well then. :cool:

14. Mar 29, 2012 at 7:20 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    845 is an excellent product!
    476 is arguably more durable though due to it being in a paste form. Downside would be 476 being slightly more tricky to work with. I always swayed customers to 845 for the afformentioned reasons though and especially if working on lighter colored vehicles.
    And yea, opti-seal is probably the fastest product to apply out there. Its a life saver for detailers who want to optimize $/time and don't want to sacrifice quality.
    At any rate, nice write-up! Definitely an outstanding product :)

Products Discussed in

To Top