1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

No need to wax for a year??

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by TNDrew, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Mar 23, 2012 at 3:27 PM
    TNDrew

TNDrew [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 Reg Cab 4x4 Silver
    WeatherTech DigitalFit Liners, Bench Seat Angle Fixed, Fog Lights (Nokya 2500k HyperYellow bulbs), aFe ProDry drop in, DeeZee bed mat, UWS black low pro tool box, Marathon Seat Covers (ordered should arrive mid-May). iSimple iPod adapter, Blacked out badges, SockMonkey WhiteTail Toyota Horns decal, LED Dome and License Plate Lights (LEDSolutions), Black Headlight Mod,
    Just talked to dealer. Taco came off the truck today. I told him they can spray wash it but don't scrub it or wax it. He said no need to wax it for a year do to factory base coat? Is this true

2. Mar 23, 2012 at 3:30 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    I don't know what the base coat has to do with waxing. There is a clear coat in between the base and wax.
    But, I have heard the same thing, that you do not have to wax a new car - not sure if it is acurate statement or not.
    I would say it is safe to wax it after a few weeks or sow, what can go wrong?

3. Mar 23, 2012 at 3:36 PM
    Superx2

Superx2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Iowa
    I was told the same thing. But after 6 months or so i wiped it down with maguires stuff. Comes in a maroon spray bottle.

4. Mar 23, 2012 at 3:39 PM
    drubacca117

drubacca117 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Eglin AFB, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '12 PreRunner V6 SR5 Double Cab
    I think that most pople here will tell you that not only is it safe to wax your new Tacoma, but that you should do it regularly and shortly after purchase. A lot of people will even recommend taking a clay bar to your truck right away and doing a full wash / wax and polish right away. I personally hand wash mine every couple of weeks, wax it every other month, and try to get a professional detail a couple times a year (or at least I did on my last Tacoma)...

There are a few great posts in the Detailing area with more info than I can provide...

5. Mar 23, 2012 at 3:40 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    I waxed my 2010 the day after we got it...

6. Mar 23, 2012 at 7:43 PM
    SocalMGM

SocalMGM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 Longbed
    Spindle lift, Bilstein 5100's on all corners, Ultragauge, CB radio, BFG all-terrains 285/75/16, satoshi grille, Desert guy's Light bar, 4 Hella 700's converted to HID, 5000k HID headlights, 3000k HID foglights, Raceline "predator" wheels
    I clayed and waxed my truck the day after I bought it. I highly suggest you do the same. There are all types of contamination on the paint even if it's a brand new truck!

7. Mar 23, 2012 at 8:01 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    This.

Rail shipment and storage near railroads results in rail dust being deposited on the paint.

Ever notice old white vehicles look kinda rusty... and it's worse if they live/work near railroad tracks?

Rail dust is steel. Steel rusts. Rail dust embeds itself in your paint and rusts, causing spotting on the paint, and also leading to scratches/spiderwebbing if anything rubs across the paint when the rail dust is present.

New vehicle, or after a vacation parked at the airport near the Metrolink tracks... the full monty. Wash with Dawn, wash the Dawn off with a milder soap, claybar, sealer/glaze, and a P21S or S500 topper to make it "pop"

To see if you NEED a claybar, do a complete wash, then slip your hand into a sandwich bag and run it across one of the upper surfaces. Any "grittiness" you feel is contamination that a claybar may clean.

Get a couple or three bars. You WILL drop one. When you do, don't bother to pick it up... just kick it into the dumpster.
    For lubricant, I use Meguire's Quick Detail spray... it's a good lubricant for the claybar and is cheaper than the claybar-specific lubes.

8. Mar 24, 2012 at 10:17 AM
    mcdee

mcdee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Northern Cal
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner OffRoad TRD
    TRD center cap, quick bed mat, Gatekeeper, WTs, TRD skid plate from bpfab, plastidip emblems, security slider bar, interior LEDs, AFE Pro Dry air filter
    I'm no expert but have always maintained/detailed my own vehicles. I recently purchased new tacoma and had heard somewhere not to wax for awhile but did some research and felt ok to proceed. I have had good results with the Klasse products over the last several years. I applied both the wax and sealant and I do know that the first wax job is the easiest!

9. Mar 24, 2012 at 10:49 AM
    Gooch

Gooch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    X2 except that I wax mine every time I wash it.

Of course I get my wax wholesale though...

10. Mar 24, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    mcdowell

mcdowell My name is Mudd

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    mobile al
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner SR5
    2in Toytec leveling kit TSB 4 leafpack 130w KC driving lights Wsetin 3 tab lightbar Black headlights Trex eyelids TRD sport wheels Firestone MT Hood protector Vent visors Tube stepbars Colormatch grille
    Had mine for 7 months now and about to clay bar for the first time.

11. Mar 24, 2012 at 11:02 AM
    mcdowell

mcdowell My name is Mudd

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    mobile al
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner SR5
    2in Toytec leveling kit TSB 4 leafpack 130w KC driving lights Wsetin 3 tab lightbar Black headlights Trex eyelids TRD sport wheels Firestone MT Hood protector Vent visors Tube stepbars Colormatch grille
    LMFAO

12. Mar 24, 2012 at 12:14 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    That was (is) the case with non-baked finishes, especially the classic lacquer paints, but today's acrylic enamels are both harder, and are oven-cured.

By the time the vehicles drives off the truck, it's safe to wax.
    Ditto. My preference was the Klasse "twins" followed by a P21S or S500 topper.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Mar 24, 2012 at 12:16 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Bought my truck and had the detail guys run clay bars very lightly over the whole truck. Took all of 10 min with 4 guys on it. LOL

Brought the truck home and put 3 coats of wax on it the first week i had it.

My truck sat for a while as it is a early 2011 but did not see that much on the paint. I think i lucked out. Wax is your friend with UV rays etc so IMO protecting the clear coat can't hurt.

14. Mar 24, 2012 at 12:16 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    We'll under-oil our engines and you can under-protect your paint ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top