1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lockable track based bicycle mount?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Thighmaster, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Mar 27, 2012 at 8:58 AM
    Thighmaster

Thighmaster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ward, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red TRD Off-Road
    June 2016 OME Dakars + 3" ToyTec Boss Lift
    Does the bed track, bike mount system lock to the truck? Can the bicycle lock to the mount?

2. Mar 27, 2012 at 9:00 AM
    RockyMtnTRD

RockyMtnTRD Wanderlust.

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR
    hack job
    Rocky Mounts Clutch SD.
    They attach to the bed rail with security bolts and are lockable. Work great.

3. Mar 27, 2012 at 9:54 AM
    Thighmaster

Member:
    Ward, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red TRD Off-Road
    Awesome, thanks.

4. Mar 27, 2012 at 12:05 PM
    novataco

novataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Aries bull bar, Lund grill screen, blackened h/l, Weathertech plastic all over, Access LE tonneau, window tint, tube steps, DF-Toy aux adapter, cig plug always on, console vault, hitch step, 1700 watt in-cab inverter and dual battery (in-progress), Delta bike hitch mounts
    I have these

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ACAM7E...d=19323186841136657307&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

[​IMG]

You can also run a cable through the frame and wheels and lock it to the d-rings, which I do more often than padlocking the bike mount.

These mounts are a lot more stable than the Toyota mount that screws to a cleat.

5. Mar 28, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    Thighmaster

Member:
    Ward, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red TRD Off-Road
    How does it mount? Screw into the plastic bed?

6. Mar 28, 2012 at 10:23 AM
    novataco

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Aries bull bar, Lund grill screen, blackened h/l, Weathertech plastic all over, Access LE tonneau, window tint, tube steps, DF-Toy aux adapter, cig plug always on, console vault, hitch step, 1700 watt in-cab inverter and dual battery (in-progress), Delta bike hitch mounts
  7. Mar 28, 2012 at 9:10 PM
    DIVERMAN

DIVERMAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cullen
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica 4x4 TRD O/R SWB
    Tailgate theft prevention, Locking rear window, Blind spot mirrors, Fogs on anytime, Rear diff breather relocated, Bed storage locks, LEDs in/out, Relocated trailer plug(custom!), OEM bed mat, OEM running boards, OEM bed divider, Bed lights, Rev lights, Raptor lights, WeatherTech floor mats and window vents, Extra D-rings, ImMrYo Bracket, UWS low pro black toolbox, Carhartt seat covers,
  8. Mar 30, 2012 at 11:44 PM
    Thighmaster

Member:
    Ward, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red TRD Off-Road
    Thanks. I ordered a pair, great price.

9. Mar 31, 2012 at 11:10 AM
    novataco

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    You're welcome. They're good solution. They are sturdy, simple and inexpensive.

You will see that a padlock is more of a visual deterrent and prevents theft of convenience, like when you are eating in a diner or running errands, but a pair of pliers can unscrew the locking nut opposite the quick release. But that wold involve forethought by a thief and they would have to look at it closely to figure that out.

If I am going to be away from the truck for a long period of time I run a cable through the bike (through the rear stays, the rear wheel, and the loose front wheel) and secure it to a d-ring in the bed. I keep the cable and lock in the covered storage cubby in the bed when I am not using it.

10. Apr 1, 2012 at 9:32 AM
    Thighmaster

Member:
    Ward, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red TRD Off-Road
    ^Great advice.

11. Apr 1, 2012 at 11:34 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    As mentioned, great advice.

I have a pair of the earlier style Rocky Mounts called a "Fly Trap"

http://www.rockymounts.com/bike_rack_flytrap_p/0150.htm

When we carry the Mountain Tandem with a Fox 40 the design and location make it very tough to get the bike. With our Co-Motion road tandem, yes the bike is not secured by the mounts lock, so we cable lock it up. It's not uncommon for the Ventana mountain tandem to get cable locked also.

Typically the front wheels are put up front.

I had the mounts on the track system and did not like the setup. So the "Fly Traps", yes two of them, are secured to the beds floor along the front edge. Pretty easy install and if removed will appear to be additional drain holes.

I also installed a Delta or similar brand non locking bike tight centered on the forward track. This is for the single bike or a third bike if needed.

You can get a lot of neck turning from other drivers when you carry two race tandems along the interstate. Other drivers have actually slowed down as they pass, so as to get a good look.

Sad part though, we normally take the Toy Hauling Ford Van and keep everything out of sight and locked up. Plus it is a better highway machine for long trips. Except the 5.4 drinking gas.

PK

12. Apr 1, 2012 at 11:44 PM
    Thighmaster

Member:
    Ward, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red TRD Off-Road
    ^^
    Might take a look at this for our road tandem.

13. Apr 1, 2012 at 11:52 PM
    sonocotaco

sonocotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AC 4x4 Super White
    Rocky Mounts are great

14. Apr 2, 2012 at 3:50 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    FWIW, we have two off-road tandems and one road tandem.

If we had just a road bike or anything 9mm axle I would lean towards the clutch. 20mm axles like our off-road tandems, the Fly Trap locks it tight.

PK

15. Apr 2, 2012 at 11:31 PM
    Thighmaster

Member:
    Ward, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red TRD Off-Road
    We have a "Tandem Topper" for the CR-V's roof. It's been solid with the tandem, even with scary cross winds. I've heard Rocky Mounts are decent.

16. Apr 3, 2012 at 1:20 AM
    novataco

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Mind you, a thief could also unscrew a d-ring bolt, but

1. What kind of thief has a large diameter torx screw handy?
    2. even if they did, they would have to deal with a lock through the frame, which makes it a long shot that a thief would have the desire to conquer both, other than in NYC.

The bikes are in transit when they are in the truck, the location is random, and they are not in the bed for very long, so I am comfortable with the padlock on the delta mount, or the cable lock to the d-ring when the bike is in the truck unattended for an hour or more.

One other thing, I have a an Access LE soft tonneau cover, so sometimes I lay the bike or bikes down in the bed, cable them to the d-ring, and nobody even sees the bikes under the tonneau, so I feel comfotable being away from the truck and bikes for a long time. If I am at a roadside motel like a Residence Inn or whatever, I bring the bikes inside for the night.

17. Apr 3, 2012 at 5:03 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    @NovaTaco, I agree 100%. We typically will do the same unless we take the Ford van, and even then often the stuff is brought indoors.

The "Fly Trap" mount works very well and is a locking function on a 20mm axle.

The "Fly Trap" mount when used with a standard 9mm axle is not lockable. Included with the "Fly Trap" is a dummy axle with a standard quick release that does not lock.

So when carrying a road tandem, I lock the frame to the "Fly Trap" which has been bolted to the beds floor.

BTW, I mounted the "Fly Traps" utilizing the three mount holes on each. So each bike mount is secured to the bed with three bolts and locknuts. I figured if someone thought about taking the entire mount, they would require a second person on the underside to hold the nut from turning.

I di not use the bed rail mounting system on account of it flexing too much with the taller than normal "Fly Trap". With a standard height Delta, or whatever brand I bought, it is shorter and works fine. I did use the leftover bed rail mounts on the Delta bike mount.

PK

18. Apr 3, 2012 at 10:18 AM
    Fairbanks AK

Fairbanks AK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Have any of you ever used Rec-Rac?
    http://www.recrac.com

It looks to be a good way to eliminate the hassle of taking off the front wheel every time you transport the bike.

19. Apr 3, 2012 at 10:23 AM
    novataco

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    I bet those tandems are pretty heavy for the cleat track...smart of you to mount them on the bed floor. My bikes are road bikes and a cyclocross, all pretty light., 15-18 lbs., but I could see the tandems not only stressing the lips of the cleat track, but also being a bit unstable with any hardware in the cleat track.

20. Apr 3, 2012 at 10:32 AM
    novataco

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto

Wow, that looks very cool. I wonder if it can work with our beds or cleat tracks. I have a tonneau rail so I think it would have to be able to go in the track.

Great idea, but two things:

1. their cable lock looks useless if it simply locks to the clamp that is finger tightened.
    2. Those prices are pretty crazy for a small piece of machined aluminum. You could probably make one yourself, or have a machine shop make you something similar very inexpensively.

Products Discussed in

To Top