1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Between Goodyear Silent armor, and Nitto Terra Grapplers

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Ploof, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Mar 29, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    Ploof

Ploof [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Useless Bay WA
    Vehicle:
    Like a Big Wheel with one extra wheel
    Nothing yet just dirt, and less rubber on the tires
    I'm mainly wondering about everyday driving mainly milage, wet road, actual product quality, and are either of these good quality handling tires for on, and off road?

I'm thinking of going with 265/65 17.

Would I be getting much better milage with 245/75 17?

Thanks

Ploof

2. Mar 29, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    VooDoo

VooDoo More Cowbell!

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter Ivey
    Baton Rouge, LA/ Starkville, MS
    Vehicle:
    '06 DC LB PreRunner
    a lot of people like the terra grapplers, i cant personally vouch for them though.

I think they get pretty good life out of em as well

3. Mar 29, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    Murdered Out Tacoma

Murdered Out Tacoma NightRunner

Member:
    Socal (IE)
    Vehicle:
    Black 06 DCLB Sport
    Tricked out dents on the outside and custom love stains on the inside. To many citiations to count, but one hell of a sweet ride.
    Im running 265/70/r17 Terra Grapplers right now, about to upgrade to the Trail Grapplers 255/75/r17. I got 60k+ out of the Terras, never had any issues with them. They wore even, balanced good, and handled exactly like a AT should.

4. Mar 29, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    Tbones taco

Tbones taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Carrollton
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner ext cab
    Flowmaster 40 smittybuilt bull bar smittybuilt nerf bars hella lights crome custome grill
    I like the looks of both tires but have never used them. I just put Cooper ATP's on mine, sofar so good. 265/75/16 and they look great and carrie a 50k warranty. either way you cant go wrong. I know the goodyear is pricie. Good luck on your choice. Do remember the taller the tire the fewer the mpg's.

5. Mar 29, 2012 at 6:43 PM
    VooDoo

VooDoo More Cowbell!

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter Ivey
    Baton Rouge, LA/ Starkville, MS
    Vehicle:
    '06 DC LB PreRunner
    look into the bfg A/T as well. probably the most tested A/T tire out there and they get great life

6. Mar 29, 2012 at 7:39 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Between the two normally I'd say Goodyear SA, but they recently had a recall on them so I say no on the the Goodyear. You said you want actual product quality, the Michelin LTX A2s are going to be hands down the best as far as quality, wet traction, and handling.

[​IMG]

7. Mar 29, 2012 at 8:22 PM
    Ploof

Ploof [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Useless Bay WA
    Vehicle:
    I was eyeballing those Michellin tires along with the Yokohama which look similar. I'm looking for something a little different the the BFG AT's.

I figured stocks must be cleared out of the recalled Silent Armor models which are under the recall. Aren't the recalled units '09, do the tires stay shelved at chain stores that long?

I'd be all over those Nitto's if it wasn't for the damn lighting bolts on the side. My wife would cut me off for sure. The tread looks awesome, but lighting bolts, I don't know if I could take the abuse.

I like the blocky look of the Silent Armor, or Terra Grappler.

After reading reviews the same cases are made for both, and info often contradicts from thread to thread. I'll probably have to flip on it.

8. Mar 30, 2012 at 6:09 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I had GY SAs P245/75/16s on my 06 Taco DC 4x4 for about 4 yrs - 50k.
    I had them mounted & Road Force Balanced when my truck went in for the TSB @ 8K miles. Never had to balance them again.
    They wore evenly, very quiet on the highway, wet traction was very, very good.
    Use was mainly DD and some fire roads.

Due to my experience on the Tacoma, I bought a set for my tundra P265/70/R18.
    It is a much bigger tire & initially had trouble balancing them on oem steel rims (truck was new & used a tire shop not dealer).
    I finally got a calibrated Road Force balance at the dealership on the tire shops dime & the tires are fine.
    I do not like them in severe winter conditions because I tow.
    On the tacoma, I used studded tires in the winter & this coming winter will do so on the tundra.
    Again this is because I tow in the mtns, not because the tires are not good.
    Otherwise winter driving the tires were fine.
    Also the recall is for the LT tires made in 2009.

9. Mar 30, 2012 at 6:58 AM
    ScreamingTaco

ScreamingTaco Huge Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road AC
    Goodyear Duratracs, TRD cat-back exhaust, bed tool box, bed extender.
    This is my opinion as well. I've been driving them for the last 4 years and have put 50,000mi on them. I still have lots of life left on them and could probably swing another year out of them.

In warmer climates (-10ºF and better) they work great. They stopped well and I could accelerate through intersections before the truck beside me could spin his way through the crosswalk. I had to drive through a blizzard that shut down the highway and had no issues with slipping or sliding.

In colder climates (around -10ºF and colder) they start to harden up and didn't perform as well on ice... but truthfully, at this temperature studs are really the only thing that does work well and they still out-performed other tires I've used in the past.

Where they did lack is in deep off road snow. They don't have the large lugs of a mud terrain and won't paddle their way through the snow. That said, mud terrains don't have the high speed wet and ice performance of the Silent Armour so it's a trade off.

Long story short, if it's a daily driver that spends most of it's time on road and doesn't live in a stupid cold environment they're probably a great choice for you.

10. Mar 30, 2012 at 4:16 PM
    Ploof

Ploof [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Useless Bay WA
    Vehicle:
    Right on thanks guys that's pretty helpful.

Products Discussed in

To Top