1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fog Light Question

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by NEKMTB, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Apr 2, 2012 at 7:15 PM
    NEKMTB

NEKMTB [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NEK Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2012 5spd.
    None yet
    I am new to Tacomas, I just got a 2012 base model and wanted to see what you guys would suggest as far as fog lights go. Should I go with ones that fit in the stock locations or get some hellas and mount a light bar? Or what brands are good?
    Thanks for the help!

2. Apr 2, 2012 at 7:18 PM
    hamsterhater

hamsterhater Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island
    Vehicle:
    11' dc mag grey taco
    level kit- exhaust -cai n-fab light bar-4 piaa 6"new hood w/scoop
    n-fab bar with 4 6"piaa 520's[​IMG]

BassAckwards likes this.
  3. Apr 2, 2012 at 7:18 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    If you want max output, get a light bar. Otherwise a set of nice bulbs can go a long way in the stock housings.

4. Apr 2, 2012 at 7:47 PM
    Brandon9402

Brandon9402 uncoordinated dirtbox

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    02 prerunner sr5
    Kenwood headunit, 4 kicker 5x7 coaxials,2 memphis 1.5" tweeters, 2 12" memphis subwoofers, memphis 500w amp, chrome grille guard, kc fog lamps, chrome side steps, chrome tool box, and window visors
    I'm running kc hilites 57 series and no complaints here. dont know much about different companies or much of anything else besides that I know mine work and I've never had any problems.

5. Apr 3, 2012 at 4:30 AM
    NEKMTB

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NEK Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2012 5spd.
    None yet
  6. Apr 3, 2012 at 4:53 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I've got the same set-up, 4 - PIAA 520 driving lights. I found that mounting fog lights on the light bar makes them ineffective (too high).

7. Apr 5, 2012 at 5:19 PM
    iroc409

iroc409 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    I don't know how the 2012's perform, but the '05-'11 fog lights actually perform pretty much as most fog lights should run. You might get better performance out of really expensive fog lights, but probably not enough to justify.

What are you trying to accomplish with fog lights? Most people aren't really looking for "fog" lights (fog lights are very low-speed lights to help you through the worst weather). That will pretty much guide what you want.

8. Apr 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM
    NEKMTB

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NEK Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2012 5spd.
    None yet
    Thats what I'm looking for, some help in fog and snow I have to drive a lot of back roads no matter the weather for work.

9. Apr 6, 2012 at 2:08 PM
    CantSitStill

CantSitStill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FTR
    CNY
    Do the fog anytime mod. Then get some driving lights. Any time it's not snowy or foggy, you'll be in fat city.

10. Apr 6, 2012 at 2:12 PM
    iroc409

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    Right, but what speeds are you expecting to maintain during this weather? Fog lights are meant to light up something like the first 40ft in front of the vehicle to help in REALLY bad conditions. 60MPH is 88 feet per second (IIRC), which is less than half a second's worth in fog light terms. Most people take a couple seconds to respond and begin evasive maneuvering. I've used the fog lights on my truck once semi-legitimately at high speeds (50-55) as it just allowed me to see the snow bank on the side of the road and stay in my lane (due to basically flat light).

If you're truly looking for fog lights, the cheapest route would be to put brighter bulbs in the factory housings. The 2005-11 models would take 9005's or 9006's (whichever has the black protected tip).

Since yours is a 2012, I have no experience and can't help much there. However, I would look into what Hella and Cibie have to offer for fog lights. If you want good lights, be prepared to spend the money. Usually over $100 per light, depending. Size and mounting location will be affect it as well.

Hella and Bosch have made some pretty good fog lights apparently.

Actually, I do have a recommendation that might work in the 2012 housings, depending on the light pattern. The Hella Micro DE projector fog lights are pretty small, and apparently are very good. I believe you can get them in HID ($$$), or regular halogen (need to check into that). Good cutoff, true foglight, wide light, and the halogens are probably cheaper than factory kit. They seem highly recommended from a couple pros.

From pictures I've seen, and what I've seen of 2012's in person with fogs, they very well may fit. They are deeper than traditional reflector lights, but you should have lots of room. You'll have to fab a bracket, and made it solid so it doesn't vibrate.

The DE's are probably about as good as you can do for true fogs and look kind of factory, without a big bar out front. Fog lights need to be mounted fairly low for good results.

Edit: Make sure you get actual German DE's, not Optilux (Chinese Hella). You might be able to get them from Summit Racing (?), but make sure they are not Optilux. Otherwise, probably $150-200 for a pair of them.

11. Apr 6, 2012 at 5:29 PM
    NEKMTB

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NEK Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2012 5spd.
    None yet
    ^^^ Great thanks for all the info!

12. Apr 6, 2012 at 6:40 PM
    iroc409

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one

Factory fogs are fairly anemic. The 9005/9006 shouldn't really change the pattern (IIRC), just brighter. BUT, you have to get the version with the black tip--not the clear tip. The clear tip will cause extra unwanted glare for you and others.

The bigger problem ultimately is the housing and wires. Some people have melted their fog light housings. I think the fog light fuse is 15A, which is within spec but a probably a bit closer than it really "should be". The factory is not generous with their wiring.

I don't really mess with my factory fogs (or DEPO knock-offs), but they should have a flat cutoff that is not glaring, similar to any other fog light--which are all typically 55W units. I pretty much have little to no use for factory fog lights, so I don't really put much effort or thought into them.

Either way, it wouldn't work with the 2012.

13. Apr 6, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    i agree with this. I dont have factory fogs, but i do have hella 500's with hid's. I put those on in a snow storm, and i was blinded. Im looking into getting yellow fogs for the factory locations, think that would be best. im sure someone will chime in.

14. Apr 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    iroc409

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    Changing from halogen to HID *completely* changes the light pattern. Additionally, you're talking about going from about 1000-1300 lumens to about 3200 lumens--3x the light.

I have brighter headlight bulbs for example, but since the filament is the same shape, same position, and same light source type, it's compatible as long as the headlights are aimed properly.

I couldn't use my Lightforces in snow either. Even the regular headlights make it difficult in a serious snow storm--they are too high and you get a lot of light back at you.

15. Apr 6, 2012 at 7:22 PM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    well just wanted the OP to know that going brighter is not always better. I know we are talking different ball games here in terms of a halogen and hid bulb, but I just wanted to put it out there. The op might have mistaken your info for a brighter bulb and gone for a 3x brighter bulb that could be found in a h.i.d, especially if your just putting them in your stock locations without a retrofit.

just thought i'd share...

16. Apr 6, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    to be honest im not to sure what they are called. I know they are not the lamin x ones.

I just saw them on ebay, and they were a yellow lense. I figured that the yellow would be good in storms. I would hope they are not a film over them. The thought of a film over the lense makes me feel that they could peel very easily--> although i havnt looked into it that much.

still trying to figure it out.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  17. Apr 7, 2012 at 2:26 PM
    iroc409

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
  18. Apr 7, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    NEKMTB

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NEK Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2012 5spd.
    None yet
    If it is a good film it will hold up well I had the film on my subaru legacy it lasted 5+ years

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  19. Apr 9, 2012 at 12:53 PM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    good to know. Maybe ill just buy clear and change the bulb. I'll get the same effect but wont have to worry about peeling and the fogs looking like poop

Products Discussed in

To Top