1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Motorcycle in Truck bed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by EvilBetty, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Jul 29, 2008 at 9:29 AM
    EvilBetty

EvilBetty [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    I already went through this thread;
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/12057-motorcycle-truck-bed.html

But I have some more questions.

I have a 2007 I4 2x4 Access Cab with the standard bed.

I may be driving out 250 miles to pick up a Buell Blast. I have a trailer but it's not yet in condition to tow with my recent rear end collision, so I am going to have to use my truck.

I saw that someone used a piece of wood to distribute the weight of the bike on the tailgate, but what about loading? Will the tailgate support ramps and a bike running up on them?

Any tips here? This will be my first bike, and my first time loading and hauling one.

2. Jul 29, 2008 at 9:47 AM
    klown

klown Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    Buell blast weights what, 400 lbs or so? Don't worry about anything, if you bend the tailgate, there is a TSB out there for bent tailgate. I used to transport my 500 lb sportster 1200 in the back of my old frontier with no problem.

Just make sure you get some good ratchet straps with some soft ties so you don't f**k up the paint.

The 2007 tailgate is weak, but the dealer won't perform the TSB unless it's damaged...and under warranty.

I've had over 300 lbs of shit on my tailgate before with no problem.

3. Jul 29, 2008 at 10:05 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    I use a 4x6 ft piece of plywood to ramp up. Easy with my hill, load/unload myself, though I'd recommend having a helper. Real ramps are obviously better. No issue w/ tailgate there.

I use another smaller piece under the rear tire to help distrubute weight on the tailgate. Mine early build 11/04, outta warranty, and know this is a weakness, rather avoid a bent gate.

I use a wheel clock bolted down for the front, adds a little stability. tiedowns on bars, tiedowns on back, one across rear wheel. Travels safe, travels well. Enjoy your new ride.

4. Jul 29, 2008 at 12:48 PM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    Cool... so if I bend my tailgate I can get it fixed after they replace my bumbers from the collision :(

Seriously though, thanks for the info.... feeling a little better about this.

5. Jul 29, 2008 at 1:00 PM
    resfireman30

resfireman30 eewwwrrpp

Member:
    Ft. Worth, Tx
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 3in Lift
    I haul a 06 gsxr all the time with no Issues, no boards and just 2 two tiedowns up front. Make sure to compress the front forks as much as possible to keep from blowing the seals as you go down the road. Also look into a Canyon Dancer all over ebay and several online stores.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Jul 31, 2008 at 6:57 AM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    Made it home in one piece!

I did have some problems though.

The standard sliding tie downs seemed like they were at the point that they were ready to rip out of the rails. They held but they were bent in the rail socket at about a 20 deg angle. Kinda unnerving. The D rings in the back were fine. I wonder if those rings just provide too much of a leverage point. I'm guessing the mini tie downs would have been better.

Then the 4 pack of ratchet straps I bought at Wal-Mart on the way down introduced more fun. They are designed with handle loops and slack loops into them. This was a problem when I needed to tighten them all of the way down to span the short distance from the tie downs to the handle bars, and from the d-rings to the seat. Forget using soft straps. I had two of the ratchet straps tightened all the way to the hook.

Those are going back to Wally-World.

Taco_Buell.jpg

7. Jul 31, 2008 at 7:01 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    The sliding tie downs are NOT to be used in moving a motorcycle. Buy some d rings for the front of the bed from here.

8. Jul 31, 2008 at 7:33 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    Ouch, as I stated in the other motorcycle hauling post "Added front D rings to the bed as I would not trust the plastic movable cleats." Well, you got it home safe...

You can buy Toyotas or make your own with D-rings from Hardware store. I made mine for about $5, used a 4x5 in steel plates had sitting around the garage as the backers.

9. Jul 31, 2008 at 7:37 AM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    Noted... I probably won't haul it in my truck again anyway. I have a tilting 5x8 trailer but I was in the middle of replacing the floor in it. The treated lumber is still drying out. It needs to be sealed before I can install the floor and have the end cap welded back in, it was just bad timing.

I will probably install some recessed D-rings on the trailer floor.
    http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/wescoperformance_2007_717142

I ended up having to use an old barn door as a ramp. I took off the tailgate and set one edge of the door on the bumper, and the other against the raised lip of my garage floor. Worked out pretty good.

10. Jul 31, 2008 at 9:20 AM
    weiser5150

weiser5150 Stickers and new floormats arent Mods

Member:
    First Name:
    JK
    Jacksonville,Fla.
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC LB 4x4
    Bilsteins all around,Front set at 2.5",Toytec AAL,LR UCAs,18x9 ATX Thugs,275/70R18 Toyo MT's,Relentless Fab Sliders,Satoshi Grill with TRD emblem and Hella Black Magic's converted to HID behind it.
    I have loaded my Honda TRX450R Sport quad with a aluminum ramp and my 08 tailgate held fine.
    ATV3_510df7f20e42f72e9706705f5f511dc11439b74f.jpg
    ATV1_cfad6746bb158ac6d9e47bf639a2c9e23d1c693a.jpg

11. Apr 4, 2012 at 5:29 AM
    YukonLT

YukonLT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cambridge, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4x4 Timberland Mica
    none

This is BAD advice! You do not want to over compress your forks. For the love of god, don't tell people such things...

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Apr 4, 2012 at 5:31 AM
    YukonLT

Member:
    Cambridge, NY
    Vehicle:
    none

They work fine for moving motorcycles, people just don't know how much force to use on them. People seem to always want to wrench the hell out of bikes to keep them in place, when it's not needed at all...

13. Apr 4, 2012 at 5:34 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    1st off, wholly thread revival! This thread is from 2008 man!

^Great advice, followed by horrible adviceV

I would never trust a plastic sliding ring rated for 200 lbs to hold up a 400+ lb bike. Just a bad idea all around in my opinion.

14. Apr 4, 2012 at 5:43 AM
    Roll Tide

Roll Tide COO COO KACHOO

Member:
    First Name:
    Q
    Here and there. Sometimes.
    Vehicle:
    01 T4R
    Head unit. That's it.
    I always use a canyon dancer and actual ratchet straps....entirely too big of an investment to leave to chance. And wouldn't cranking down the front CAUSE the seals to rupture?!? I was told that you want enough pressure to keep the motorcycle from bouncing itself loose but no more pressure than that..

uploadfromtaptalk1333543392340.jpg

15. Apr 4, 2012 at 7:58 AM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    Better option is to use some form of wheel chock and strap the wheel forward into the chock. Then the remaining straps are just stabilizing the bike.

For one pickup hall we just re-purposed a couple wooden boxes that sandwiched the front wheel which was strapped pulling it into the front of the bed. Bike didn't move and the forks were only lightly compressed.

16. Apr 4, 2012 at 9:10 AM
    YukonLT

Member:
    Cambridge, NY
    Vehicle:
    none
    Please, I have been hauling dirt bikes, street bikes, four wheelers, snowmobiles...in all of my trucks for the last 13 years with thousands upon thousands of miles racked up hauling. There isn't anything anyone can teach me about what to do in the back of a pick up lol

Go ahead, compress the hell out of your forks. Works wonders :rolleyes:

And those rail sliders are stronger than you think. Also, if you set it up right there is barely any force put on them....but what do I know...

17. Apr 4, 2012 at 9:11 AM
    YukonLT

Member:
    Cambridge, NY
    Vehicle:
    none
    You aren't putting 400 pounds of load on the slider, so no worries. Granted this is if you have any idea how to strap down a motorcycle. (Not saying you personally don't)

18. Apr 4, 2012 at 9:47 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Take a 400-500 lb sport bike, so on the lighter side of things as far as full sized bikes are concerned, and take a hard corner at speed, say as if pulling an evasive maneuver. Centripetal force takes over and you're no longer just dealing with just the force it takes to keep the bike upright. At that moment, I'd much rather be attached to a solid mounting point, not a plastic D-ring rated for 200 lbs straight out. Just my $0.02.

I don't know if your fork compression comment was directed at me or not but I was agreeing with you that it is a horrible idea to over compress your bike's suspension. I keep just enough preload on the suspension to keep some tension on the straps. I also use a home made chock made out of 2x4s to hold the front tire straight in the bed.

Products Discussed in

To Top