1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

EZ Down Tailgate Group Buy Anyone?

Discussion in 'Group Buys' started by jdkeller, Feb 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 27, 2009 at 8:42 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller [OP] How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    The quote above^ is for free shipping as well. He just replied. That said....21 orders gets an EZ Down for $37.

2. Feb 28, 2009 at 6:05 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    People, if you have not yet attempted to remove the "no reverse" screws on the side of your tailgate you should try to remove them now to see how difficult it is before you commit to purchase. Last warning: the screws that hold the tailgate to the bracket that is then attached to the truck are conical shaped with ribs that you cannot see...they look like normal star bit screws but they are not!! It is very difficult due to their location to get adequate leverage and torque to break the screws seating! Think through the installation before buying....

3. Feb 28, 2009 at 7:06 AM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    Yeah due to price and the new information about the problems with this mod on the Tacoma I am out on this one, however I am still in on the pop n lock.

4. Mar 2, 2009 at 2:03 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    I spoke with a guy from Dee Zee EZ down. Its a different company and he said 42 dollars plus about 1 dollar for shipping. Just throwing it out there.

5. Mar 5, 2009 at 10:02 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Good news....I spoke with a seller from DeeZee EZ Down and I will be purchasing one from him. If all goes well I will do a write up and see if any others are interested. If it does not go well, he is going to return it. I have high hopes and will keep you all informed.

6. Mar 12, 2009 at 10:37 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Ok so I bought a DeeZee EZ Down and just installed it today. I purchased it from the guy that was going to be working with us on the group buy. Easy install. As for Pster's comment....I only had to remove one of those screws you are talking about and replace it with the one supplied in the kit. It was easy as cake. I don't know what's so hard about it. I just used a t40 bit and put that into a 1/4" socket, and then used a socket wrench to take it off. Took 5 seconds. So the install took all of about 5 minutes. The only thing that happens is the cable pushes up against the shock when its closed. I guess this will cause the cable to have a bend in it over time like the other member was saying. Not serious at all in my opinion. I think if you ever wanted the bend gone you could pry just take of the damper and let it take back to shape. Also when you open the tailgate you have to pull a tad bit once you lift up on the latch. Basically only a little more than normal opening procedure. But hardly noticeable. Everything works great and I am satisfied with mine. Very pleased with my purchase.

7. Mar 12, 2009 at 10:39 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    All this will go out the door if you do what I said. The star bit worked fine. Im not trying to tell you guys to go buy one now. Just giving you my experience.

8. Mar 13, 2009 at 5:39 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts

I used the proper tBit attached it to a ratchet.....exactly as was described and my screw would not budge, it stripped. You can remove it if you make sure you have the right bit, and apply maximum force into the screw so it doesn't strip......I was able to remove one screw...I tried it on another and it wouldn't budge. I knew what I was doing and I did it correctly. I think some screws come out more easily than others. When you see these screws, you will see that they are not intended to be removed.

9. Mar 13, 2009 at 1:53 PM
    spaghettiedy

spaghettiedy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB Sport in Black 4x4
    Gray Weathertechs, LG Wet Okoles, Tacome OEM Bedmat
    I'm sorry, but :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

10. Mar 24, 2009 at 6:49 AM
    Rickochet

Rickochet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma Access 2.7 4 x 2
    Added VS Wipers, Cruise Control, DRL, Undercover SE Bed Cover
    I have a question. I would really like to add the tailgate assist for my wife. Here is a picture of what I am guessing is one of the screws that must be removed with the other on the other end of the support cable on the tailgate. I have an '09 Taco and put a T-40 bit in a ratchet and both screws broke loose very easily.

My question is about the clip behind the bolt. Is there something inside the fender behind the bolt? If I take the bolt out is there something that is going to fall off inside the fender or do you just loosen it some to slip on the cylinder? Also, does anyone know if the Dee Zee kit will fit an '09?

Rick

Tailgatescrew.jpg

11. Mar 24, 2009 at 2:21 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    i don't about this particular bolt, but it could be similar to ones that hold the support bracket to the tailgate. These bolts are not like anything I had seen before. The head is actually a large "V" shape with "one way ridges" machined into the sides of the head. They are clearly designed to NOT be removed and if you aren't extremely careful, the heads are VERY EASILY stripped. They are installed very tightly and require significant torque to back them out.

12. Mar 24, 2009 at 5:58 PM
    Rickochet

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Not sure why you had such a problem with those bolts. I have an '09 and got them all loose first try this morning with a Torx 40 bit in a ratchet. I had to raise the tailgate to about 30° open to get a good angle on them. I didn't take the bolts all of the way out yet but buy by your description they sound like thread cutting bolts. Once the threads are cut by those bolts ones of the same thread should fit right in.

13. Mar 24, 2009 at 9:53 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    No there is nothing behind that clip. No worries. And I don't know why others were having such problems loosening those bolts. As for your 2009, I can PM you the email of the man off Ebay that I purchased mine from and you can ask him? Or you can ask someone else. Let me know.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  14. Mar 24, 2009 at 9:54 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    By the way...sorry for such a late response. I was really busy

15. Mar 25, 2009 at 4:32 AM
    Rickochet

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the reply. I started a thread on this in the 2nd Gen forum and got some replys so I ordered the Dee Zee kit. I ordered it from the Dee Zee Outlet Store on ebay which listed the Dee Zee part # 43601 for 2007 -2009.

16. Mar 25, 2009 at 2:10 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Cool. Its an easy intall. 10 minutes max. And thats with a piss break

17. Mar 25, 2009 at 3:07 PM
    Rickochet

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    So that equates to 30 minutes for me being an old retired geezer. Installation plus two piss breaks, losing my eye glasses and one beer break. :D

18. Mar 25, 2009 at 3:14 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    One beer break? I need you need to make that 2 or 3 :rolleyes:

19. Mar 25, 2009 at 3:17 PM
    Rickochet

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    That is when I celebrate a successful installation without any major bodily injuries and have to invite my neighbors over to "look at this." :D

Actually on a nice sunny day we can actually drag out the project inspection and post installation technical discussion for several hours at the picnic table in my back yard. :) And in that situation we don't keep score on piss breaks since none of us can remember how many anywho. :rolleyes:

20. Mar 27, 2009 at 2:16 PM
    Rickochet

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Question, I ordered the Dee Zee kit Part # 43601 and that is what the plastic pack says. I open up the pack and inside is another pack that says Stabilus EZ Down. I thought Stabilus and Vee Dee were separate companies?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top