1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Switching Majors

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by Dmonkey, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Apr 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM
    12Tac

12Tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2020 Double Cab, Long-bed TRD Off Road.
    SnugTop, FN Wheels, Meso Custom, Tacos4Cheap
    Dont' worry about getting it done at whatever age. I finally finished my BS when I was forty. I finished my masters shortly after that and stated my PhD last year. The bottom line is get your education...period. Follow what you love and enjoy.

12Tac

2. Apr 6, 2012 at 7:48 PM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    Go where your passion lies. Don't listen to anyone, including me.

3. Apr 6, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    Excellent point! Supporting anecdote: I went to a professional convention near the end of my undergrad and met a guy who's job was to translate technical documents. I mentioned I was a geology major and also that I had taken several languages: Spanish, Japanese, French, and Russian (this last was actually my undergrad minor). It wasn't something I wanted to pursue, but he said I'd easily make $500K per year if I wanted to, doing what he does, because you have to understand the technical stuff in order to translate it. Basically he was recruiting people with exactly my background. Really, I never thought there was any connection at all, professionally, between my geology degree and all those languages I took through high school and college.

4. Apr 6, 2012 at 9:48 PM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    [​IMG]
    :D

5. Apr 7, 2012 at 12:41 AM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    Bahahahhahaha not really. Just a hobby. I like languages.

6. Apr 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    Yo hablo espanol, pues es mi primer idioma. Je parle un peu de francais, por que je suis etudiant de la Alliance Francaise...

Bit into languages also, but they never really helped me, other than back when I was a traveling Auditor; I was ALWAYS stuck in the Miami engagements. I HATE Miami... :mad:

7. Apr 7, 2012 at 3:11 PM
    Dmonkey

Dmonkey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    Eibach height adjust shocks in front, KYB monomax shocks in the back. Stock springs front and back. Level 8 MK6 10mm offset wheels on Cooper ATP tires (stock size)
    holy god this thing has gone off topic ;p

8. Apr 7, 2012 at 4:09 PM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    Not so much. Although we old-timers who never learned a second language are fortunate that English is the current lingua franca, a college student today should seriously consider becoming fluent in a second language. The way the global economy is shaping up, Chinese might be a good language to consider.

9. Apr 8, 2012 at 5:15 AM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    I think college students should take at least a short study abroad; six weeks out of a summer, if that's what you can afford. It's nice to learn about another culture by going there and of course it tends to force you to break down some stereotypes (and reinforce others!) but I think the big lesson is about your own country. You see and appreciate it differently from the outside, especially when you're forced into another way of life for a while.

Plus you come home with cool swag!

10. Apr 8, 2012 at 6:33 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    That would have definitely been cool. I have a few friends who did. I didn't have the chance to though, I worked full time through college. My "summers off" ended in high school.

11. Apr 8, 2012 at 6:40 AM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    I did a short summer study abroad. I also had to work, scrimped and saved for a year to afford it, and luckily I had an awesome boss who was willing to give me 6 weeks off (though really, once I'd put the deposit down I would have quit if she said no. Jobs were a dime a dozen at the time).

12. Apr 8, 2012 at 8:14 AM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    I had a cousin who spent some time in Central America and also a couple of years in Europe through the University, but he was studying language too. I did my "abroad" time courtesy of Uncle Sam.

13. Apr 8, 2012 at 8:17 AM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    That's plenty of "abroad" to appreciate your country a little bit more :)

And thanks.

14. Apr 16, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    damn..i went from an ART degree to Civil Engineering.

if i could pull that off, you can also. go for it. never too late to switch, but it is easier at the beginning.

poly sci? law school?

15. Aug 28, 2015 at 3:21 AM
    Dmonkey

Dmonkey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    Eibach height adjust shocks in front, KYB monomax shocks in the back. Stock springs front and back. Level 8 MK6 10mm offset wheels on Cooper ATP tires (stock size)
    3.5 years later: I did not change my major. By 2012, I had passed the point of changing my major with the amount of grant semesters available to me. I ended up enjoying the classes I had and looking back on it, it's funny I thought I was coming in with more knowledge than I would obtain in the field. I ended up starting to work for the department, doing audio recording, live sound and video editing.

All and all it was a good experience. I graduated in May of this year and maintained my political science aspirations by pursuing a single subject teaching credential in social science. Since I have a BA in music with tech emphasis, if a school so happens to have an audio technology class, I can teach that too.

It's funny to look back on your adult self and think man what a kid.

I don't know how many of you guys are still around but I figured a long term update would be interesting.

To Top