1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Roof Rack Thule Kayak Rig: Trust This? Thoughts?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mr Souc, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Apr 7, 2012 at 3:20 PM
    Mr Souc

Mr Souc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Topsham Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    - TacoME Satoshi - Hella Supertones - TRD front skid plate - TRD CAI - TRD cat-back exhaust - TRD short throw shifter - TRD 6 speed ball knob - Baja Soft 8 16" wheels - 285/75/16 BFG T/A KO2s - Pioneer AVH-P2400BT - OEM roof rack - Thule Aero roof rack - TSB Add-A-Leaf - 1" Level spacer up front - 5100s front & rear - Eibach 620lb coils - Toytec 2" add-a-leaf - Plasti-Dip bumper, badges, & roof
    Alright. I recently got a complete Thule set up but I really like the OEM rack and and having a hard time debating on taking it off...

So I thought I would see if I can set up a rig for my kayaks using the Thule J racks and the OEM rack. This is what I came up with. It seems sturdy but I am not sure I trust the damn plastic!

Thoughts? Any one else do something similar?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Apr 7, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    Id like to know the answer to that also, that is how I was thinking about mounting mine.

3. Apr 7, 2012 at 3:30 PM
    canoelover

canoelover Member

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    '12 SR5 Sport Debadged
    No mods yet... :-)
    My shop is a Thule dealer and that works fine -- BUT you must use bow and stern tie-downs. Do that and you're gold.

Darren
    Owner, Cartop.com :)

4. Apr 7, 2012 at 3:32 PM
    canoelover

canoelover Member

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    '12 SR5 Sport Debadged
    You might also loop your strap under the bar where your saddle is attached. It would be a bit stronger. But I've seen far worse tie-downs.

5. Apr 7, 2012 at 4:26 PM
    canoeski

canoeski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Southcentral Wisc
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma AccessCab
    Debadged. ARE Topper. Tailgate mods, including locking handle. BAMF LCA skids.
    Hey Darren,

Welcome to TW from a fellow paddler in Madison!

~bill p

PS you might recognize my old ride and a few Rutabaga boats on top.;)

6. Apr 8, 2012 at 6:28 AM
    Mr Souc

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Topsham Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    - TacoME Satoshi - Hella Supertones - TRD front skid plate - TRD CAI - TRD cat-back exhaust - TRD short throw shifter - TRD 6 speed ball knob - Baja Soft 8 16" wheels - 285/75/16 BFG T/A KO2s - Pioneer AVH-P2400BT - OEM roof rack - Thule Aero roof rack - TSB Add-A-Leaf - 1" Level spacer up front - 5100s front & rear - Eibach 620lb coils - Toytec 2" add-a-leaf - Plasti-Dip bumper, badges, & roof
    Thanks Darren, its good to get some advice from an expert. BTW, I checked out your site and I booked marked you. There is a good chance I might get a hold of you in the future for a mt. bike solution! - Cheers!

What are your guys's thoughts on the plastic built in D ring? Think that sucker will hold? I would hate for it to snap...

7. Apr 8, 2012 at 6:57 AM
    Squirrellydw

Squirrellydw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport
  8. Apr 8, 2012 at 7:01 AM
    angle

angle Member

Member:
    the same as me .[​IMG]

9. Apr 9, 2012 at 5:47 AM
    Mr Souc

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Topsham Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Hmm. The LTS brackets from the link Squirrellydw posted have got me thinkin... I wonder if anyone has ever fabed up a bracket to sit under the OEM rack and on top of the roof for a more secure anchor point for straps. You know, back the screws out, slide the bracket under the rack, lock tight the screws and screw them back down. I think I would trust that more then those built in plastic loops!

10. Jun 11, 2012 at 3:22 PM
    canoelover

canoelover Member

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    '12 SR5 Sport Debadged
    Our preference is to go under the bar and through the loop at the top and ignore the little plastic loop. That way it "hugs" your boat a little better rather than just pulling down on it.

Sorry I've been out of the loop ---busy season! :)

DB

11. Apr 16, 2013 at 8:36 AM
    bjsurveyor

bjsurveyor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '17 D-Cab TRD OR 4x4 Inferno Red
    TRD shift knob, Predator Steps, Toyota rack, AMP bed step, TRD Performance Exhaust (sounds amazing)
    How did the OEM roof rack work out for you last summer? Were the plastic tie downs adequate?

I just purchased 2 kayaks, and was planning on hauling them the same way on my Taco. I have an RTT, that will take up bed space. It will be mounted below the roofline of the truck, so the kayaks will stick out over the RTT. I'm trying to make the most of my space.

Thanks!

12. Apr 20, 2013 at 4:23 AM
    Mr Souc

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Topsham Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    You know, I tried it like that for three or four trips and ended up removing the OEM roof rack for a Thule set up.

Perhaps it was just mine, but the OEM was far too loose and wiggly. Especially when there was no kayak in the holders they would just wobble and rattle around. Maybe that's just the design due to the fact that the crossbars can stowaway but either way I was uncomfortable with it.

That's my 2 cents!

13. Apr 20, 2013 at 5:39 AM
    jcayce

jcayce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSBTRDOR4X4
    I don't trust plastic in roof racks anymore. I was driving from up north down to Texas with a fully loaded 2002 Nissan Frontier double cab with the factory roof rack. The bed was full so my bike was in a Yakima rack up top attached to the factory cross bars. Hit a strong side wind and the plastic mounts that attached to the roof rack bent in the wind and all of a sudden the bike, still attached, was laying sideways on the roof. I was lucky that it was mounted on the driver's side and laid towards the passenger's side instead of hanging over the side.

14. Apr 20, 2013 at 6:17 AM
    Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Bayfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    13 Double Cab 4x4 stock
    I do more flat water, but I found these work really well with our stock rack:
    http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/yakima-universal-mighty-mounts.asp?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product-feed&utm_campaign=google-products&utm_term=203590&gclid=COfMg-Wm2bYCFSU6QgodLEkAqw
    I broke my nose using that Thule rack so I put these up instead:
    http://oakorchardcanoe.com/gullwing.php
    It takes about ten-fifteen minutes to set them up on the stock rack and even less to take them back off. So they're only riding there when I'm taking my yaks somewhere. My Remix rides really well with this setup and yes, always use the bow/stern tie downs.
    I added this in for my longer boats.:
    http://www.rackattack.com/rack-search.asp?searchString=dry+dock
    I'd get one of their receiver pin locks too just to make sure it's still there when you're ready to go home.
    I like to use my truck to do many things and it's a real plus to me being able to remove it quickly when I'm not using it.
    I'll post some pics when winter and the wind get the memo that it's really supposed to be spring out there.

15. Apr 20, 2013 at 8:27 AM
    2013baja

2013baja Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Markus
    SoCal
    Haven't used this exact setup, but I'm a big fan of Thule and have only had positive experiences with their products. High quality stuff in my opinion. I have a lot of boater friends where we're shuttling each other up and down rivers. From my experience two straps across is plenty.

16. Apr 22, 2013 at 5:59 AM
    bjsurveyor

bjsurveyor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '17 D-Cab TRD OR 4x4 Inferno Red
    TRD shift knob, Predator Steps, Toyota rack, AMP bed step, TRD Performance Exhaust (sounds amazing)
    Hmm.... I might have to rethink this a little. Thanks for the input!

17. Apr 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM
    Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Bayfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    13 Double Cab 4x4 stock
    I put my rig together yesterday, The wind kicked up too badly by the time I got it all set up so I just set my long boat up there to see how it sat. Didn't even bother to strap it in.
    IMG_0237_1ec8646bbf17d6052613c5c5ecbf171b594dfa27.jpg

Everything I've ever read, heard or seen says to thread the straps over the boat, under the bar, back over the boat and under the bar on the other side. No criss-cross or twists on the straps! I wouldn't use the D-rings.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top