1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Main Seal Question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Will Prerunner, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Apr 8, 2012 at 10:23 PM
    Will Prerunner

Will Prerunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe Az
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD Prerunner Doublecab
    Trail-Gear rock sliders, OME Lift, kobalt tool box, herculined fender flares, CrossFab light bar, Deck plate Mod, Differential Breather Extension, 32"goodyear duratracs Pioneer 3 way speakers, alpine head unit, Boss Bass 600 sub, custom az pinstriping
    The last few times I have changed to oil I have noticed some wetness near where the transmission and engine connect. The other day I noticed about a softball sized puddle of oil under the car, and am about half a quart low on oil. I'm guessing its the rear main seal. Its a 2001 V6 Automatic with 160k. The few places I called want close to grand to replace it. The most complicated work I've ever done on a vehicle is replacing the starter. Is replacing the rear main seal something somebody with limited mechanical knowledge could realistically do, or do I need to bite the bullet and take it to a shop?

2. Apr 8, 2012 at 10:26 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    You have to drop the transmission. Not a beginner friendly job. I say pay to have it done.

3. Apr 8, 2012 at 10:42 PM
    BFA

BFA Nuttier than squirrel shit.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    With limited mechanical knowledge your going to spend a lot of time figuring crap out and trying to remember where all the plugs and bolts go along with learing how to disassemble everything and your mosst likely going to get lost and if you don't your truck is probably going to be out of commission for a significant time.. id say let a shop do it but if it were me I'm stubborn like that and would just dive in

4. Apr 8, 2012 at 10:50 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:

This is correct. Mine was also leaking but I had it repaired out of warranty. I think the total came out just over $1,000 as well at Toyota had I of paid out of pocket.

5. Apr 9, 2012 at 8:04 AM
    Gorillazrus

Gorillazrus To be continued...

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner SR5
    5100 Bilistens set @ 1" in front, Wheelers 5 leaf in rear, Leer Topper, TRD Skid Plate, Dual Band Ham Radio
    Have you called any transmission shops?
    My front pump seal in my tranny was leaking and when I called around I got quotes from $500.00 - 800.00 and when I asked about replacing the rear main they all said just bring us the seal and they would put it in while they were in their.

6. Apr 9, 2012 at 5:25 PM
    Will Prerunner

Will Prerunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe Az
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD Prerunner Doublecab
    Trail-Gear rock sliders, OME Lift, kobalt tool box, herculined fender flares, CrossFab light bar, Deck plate Mod, Differential Breather Extension, 32"goodyear duratracs Pioneer 3 way speakers, alpine head unit, Boss Bass 600 sub, custom az pinstriping
    Ya that is what I am afraid of. I thought about though and I was quoted 1k, I'll probably spend $200 on tools like a transmission jack, socket extensions etc. I make $10 an hour at work so that leaves me about 80 hours to figure it out before it's not worth it. I'm going to dive in this weekend.:D

7. Apr 9, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    Gorillazrus

Gorillazrus To be continued...

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner SR5
    5100 Bilistens set @ 1" in front, Wheelers 5 leaf in rear, Leer Topper, TRD Skid Plate, Dual Band Ham Radio
    Yup I don't blame you, I didn't like what I was quoted so this is what I ended up with and it worked well for the price.

8. Apr 9, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    BFA

BFA Nuttier than squirrel shit.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4 4x4 5spd
    Good luck since its your first time make sure you tag all the wires and stuff so you can reference them later when you put it back together and get a sharpie and a box of sandwich bags to put the bolts in based to location like the trans cross member in 1 bag the bell housing bolts in 1 bag and be sure to make note of which bolt is longer and stuff which will definitely come into play with the bell housing. so as long as you can keep track of where everything goes you should be fine its pretty simple really just don't get in over you head and start getting lost or you'll probably be paying for a tow truck and the shop :) also for the bell housing I found it simple to use a 2.5ft extention with a "wobbler" extention.. dunno what its really called.. cause there's the bolts at the top of the bell housing that you won't be able to reach easily

Products Discussed in

To Top