1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adding a second rear view camera - - - On a trailer.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by kd8bao, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Apr 12, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    kd8bao

kd8bao [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    2000 Excursion 7.3L - Ex '11 Taco DCSB
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334286248.164698.jpg

So I now am the proud owner of a 27' travel trailer. My problem is, the misses is not the best at all for directing me into places. So my thought was " hey, put a camera on the trailer. " So that is what I am gonna do. I will find a decent camera and run the video feed up to the truck and piggy-back into the factory connection. Down the road I want to be able to plug the trailer in, and have a relay switch the signal to the correct camera. But that's down the road. So I will keep updating as things progress.

2. Apr 12, 2012 at 8:14 PM
    clarkie152

clarkie152 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail
    LED light swap, TRD wheels, KO2s, C4Fab lo-pro
    Sounds like a good idea in theory but....

The camera will tell you what is behind the trailer, but not on the sides where mistakes usually are. For instance, if you are backing a trailer in to a campground spot, you're probably jack-knifing the trailer into the spot, no? The only thing I have trouble with is on my blind side, because I have no idea of perception on the other side of the trailer.

Also, looking at the camera would probably throw off my perception of the area, as I am usually looking in my mirrors, not inside the cab.

Good idea though, itll be interesting how you wire it up :cool:

Just my .02

3. Apr 12, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    aznutx

aznutx Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 White TRD
    i think it will be ok, it's always good to have an additional set of eyes right directly behind and use the mirrors

4. Apr 18, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    kd8bao

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    Got the camera. It's a bullet style and I think I am gonna mount it in the spare tire cover. It's a hard plastic cover. I am gonna change out the plugs to a 4-flat trailer plug so it is more weather resistant. I will get some pics when I start. Prob next week. Anyone know where I can find the pin out for the factory plug under the tailgate? I have tried searching but nothing comes up that is relevant.

5. Apr 18, 2012 at 1:36 PM
    Cypherian

Cypherian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid Atlantic Region
    Hey,

As I am doing research currently on a purchasing a trailer this same thought has occurred to me. My plan however, involves using my Kenwood head unit to hook the trailer camera up. So I can see both the position of the tongue when hooking up in the rear view and the larger screen on the Kenwood for backing in to camp pads. Perhaps you can sell the significant other on a stereo upgrade with this idea.

Cypher

6. Apr 18, 2012 at 4:23 PM
    lowinhz

lowinhz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Papa Kurt
    Dandridge Tn
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB 4x4 v6
    Billies@ 2.5, 2inch blocks, front hitch, xrc 8k winch on portable mount, 10 sub behind seat, Memphis amp, pioneer touch radio, cobra cb, 235/85/r16 duratracs with black rims, high lift jack, tint, remote start alarm, hella 500 lights, 59" curve led bar, snorkel, expo trailer with rat, car seat
    The pin out and power are located in two plugs under the dash by the fuse panel check out the audio section that's where I found the info when I was putting my radio in and tapped into the feed

7. Apr 18, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    lowinhz

lowinhz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Papa Kurt
    Dandridge Tn
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB 4x4 v6
    Billies@ 2.5, 2inch blocks, front hitch, xrc 8k winch on portable mount, 10 sub behind seat, Memphis amp, pioneer touch radio, cobra cb, 235/85/r16 duratracs with black rims, high lift jack, tint, remote start alarm, hella 500 lights, 59" curve led bar, snorkel, expo trailer with rat, car seat
    Put the feed on a 3 way switch under the dash that way you can select which camera you use on your rear view mirror.

8. Apr 18, 2012 at 8:21 PM
    kd8bao

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    Well I was gonna maybe put a 3-way switch in the bed so I can select between. I didn't want to run all the way up to the cab.

9. Oct 7, 2017 at 3:32 PM
    Chungaz

Chungaz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rolla,Mo
    Vehicle:
    Black TRD Sport 4x4
    None YET!!!
    I’m in the process of doing similar project. I’m installing a pioneer nex hu and a front facing camera. I’m going to use headunit for the front and tailgate camera. Then I’m going to use the factory rearview mirror for the trailer camera. At least that’s my idea.

10. Oct 7, 2017 at 4:14 PM
    Hoangde

Hoangde Well-Known Member

Member:
    Guys,
    Very simple solution:
    1. Get a wireless rear camera and secured to a magnetic base. Let the magnetic base attach to any place you needed.
    2. Get a HAI cable harness (or mod wiring to get HU receives video signal) to HU then connect wireless rear camera receiver.
    3. Done :thumbsup:
    4. As a matter of fact, get more camera, do step 1 for each camera then get a video splitter to connect all wireless camera receivers at HU. :cheers:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  11. Oct 7, 2017 at 9:00 PM
    Chungaz

Chungaz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rolla,Mo
    Vehicle:
    Black TRD Sport 4x4
    None YET!!!
    Too easy. Not sure about the op but I like to hard wire everything. My front facing camera is a aluminum alloy case with infrared so I will be able to drive with lights off . Why do I need to ? Not sure . because I can I guess.

12. Oct 11, 2017 at 1:11 AM
    Raincity

Raincity Half man, half amazing.

Member:
    Lowermainland, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    '13 Mica Spruce DC.
    '12 DC TRD-RIP
    Dang, how did the Taco handle the 27' trailer?!

Products Discussed in

To Top