1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

B.A.M.F LCA Skids are here!!!

Discussion in 'Bay Area Metal Fabrication' started by JLee, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Apr 15, 2012 at 6:43 AM
    JLee

JLee [OP] The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    I think I have enough of those :D

2. Apr 15, 2012 at 7:32 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Jerry,
    Here is a shot of my LCA - I have the BudBuilt Skid setup and as you can see the cam bolt is covered by the skid...

[​IMG]

There is clearance between them, I'd just like to know how far away from the cam bolt your LCA Skid sits...

:D

3. Apr 15, 2012 at 7:38 AM
    JLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:

Oh I didn't know the BB had coverage take a shot from right under the cam bolt. The skid sits right next to the cam bolt so if you have a 1 or so clearance it should fit right behind the BB skid.

4. Apr 15, 2012 at 8:00 AM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    since were on the topic, would the relentless skids interfere as well. I dont think they would, bit always better to ask in advance.

2012-02-02_12-47-47_7_50432ace7487eebdd6dc47e641960c3ec6fecd05.jpg

On another note, do you ship to canada?

thanks

5. Apr 15, 2012 at 8:06 AM
    SteveoATC

SteveoATC Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 off road DC/SB
    OME 885 coils with Dakar leafs in back, 17" XD Addicts, 33" Hankook Dynapros, BAMF bolt on sliders with kickout
    I'm fairly new to truck modding, but not to off roading and have a few questions (newbie!).

I have read the whole thread and curious about the install now. Will this fit with my stock skid plate? Do you recommend replacing the stock skid plate? I have never reamed a new hole in anything so maybe a quick rundown of how to do it correctly? Just basically a bit nervous on effing my brand new truck up somehow! Thanks

6. Apr 15, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    JLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    I posted a thread on Toyota120 once I check fitment on the 4th Gens that should bump up the numbers some :D I also Emailed the JFcruiser forum to be set up as a vendor. With the amount of rigs these thing will fit I'm going to post up on all the forums to get you guys past 50 orders :D

7. Apr 15, 2012 at 8:15 AM
    JLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    I can't tell from the picture if it will contact the skid it all depends on how close the IFS skid is to the cam bolt. I'll ship anywhere if your willing to pay :D

Your stock skid plate will need to be trimmed to have the cam protection. for the hole a step bit works the best. the hole is about 5/16th stock and it needs to be about 1/2" it's just the lower side that needs to be drilled the top side is large enough.

8. Apr 15, 2012 at 8:26 AM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
  9. Apr 15, 2012 at 8:34 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:

I'm a bit of a nervous nellie when it comes to cutting on stuff to make things fit on my truck too. The stock skid plate isn't much more than what jerry calls "a tin can", but cutting it back a little, you are trading the "tin can" protection for something MUCH beefier. If you find you are denting up the stock skid in the course of your 4x wheelin activities, then yes it would be good to replace the stock skid. As for the hole that you have to drill out. The bits that work best are called "step bits" like these: http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG...oated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-96275.html
    Any Home Depot or Lowes should carry these too.

10. Apr 15, 2012 at 8:38 AM
    JLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    This set will work just fine it's what i used to drill out acdronin's LCA HD and Lowes wants way too much for step bits and they are no better then the HF ones.

11. Apr 15, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    (link fixed) Aw f**k. I'm pretty handy - and yet, do you know how many holes I've "ratted out" trying to enlarge because I had No Idea that a tool called a "step bit" existed?

:schooled:

:D

12. Apr 15, 2012 at 9:00 AM
    acdronin

Member:
    I still have a 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch step bits I paid like 60 apiece for ten years ago, HF's is a lot less expensive.
    One thing that struck my Jerry is how soft the metal is that the stock LCA is made out of, this skid acts as a reinforcement of the stock LCA in that it is bolted to each of the three corners of the LCA.

Install note: Trimming the stock skid plate was really easy being that it's made from fairly thin metal, the part that needs to be trimmed is the curved areas that go near the cam bolts, all we did was to enlarge that curve by about an inch or so. Also, lift the skid into place and put the two inboard bolts (the longer ones), in first, hand tighten (until the lock nuts stop you), then slide in the shorter outboard bolt. Tighten all three down going back and forth between them (like lugs on a wheel), that way the skid lines up correctly and the bolts stay straight. A shallow and deep 9/16 socket works best on the long bolts and a ratcheting open end works best on the shorter one under the CV boot.

13. Apr 15, 2012 at 9:01 AM
    JLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah step bits are awesome!!!

14. Apr 15, 2012 at 9:34 AM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    also known as a unibit. Any electrical store has them and are also in the electrical sections at Lowes and Home depot! But they are $45 a piece! haha i use them all the time at work and they are very useful! Word of advise too . . . drill slow or you will burn that bit up pretty fast! Oh and . . . . .

Jerry put me down for a "1/4 set:D

15. Apr 15, 2012 at 9:36 AM
    SteveoATC

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 off road DC/SB
    OME 885 coils with Dakar leafs in back, 17" XD Addicts, 33" Hankook Dynapros, BAMF bolt on sliders with kickout
    Thanks acdronin for the run through. Do you use a Dremil tool to cut the skid plate? Also I went out to look at my LCA after reading all this and it looks a bit beefier than the other ones I have seen here. Maybe I am just imagining things =] I have a stock '12 off road, pics to come if you need em.

16. Apr 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM
    acdronin

Member:
    I used an angle grinder with a metal cutting wheel, it might be a bit much for a Dremil to handle. I could be wrong but I think the 12's should be the same.

17. Apr 15, 2012 at 9:41 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    I love the idea, and would love to get in on this; HOWEVER....I just can't. I need to lay low on the mods for a bit. Not that i've gone crazy with them or anything, but I have other responsibilities. The original price isn't bad either, so no worries if I can't get in on the GB. I'll PM you if anything changes.

sub'd

18. Apr 15, 2012 at 9:52 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I just went back to the OP & I think there will be no issues...

Looking at this:
    IMG_20120410_190844_793c5336438c2537956dbdce699fbb3727b046f5.jpg

The skid sits pretty tight to the cam - I've got at least 1 1/2" between the IFS skid & the cam.

We'll see... I've got no issues cutting to make it fit. :cool:

19. Apr 15, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    SteveoATC

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 off road DC/SB
    Here is my LCA, although I'm not sure why it flips it upside down....

LCA.jpg

20. Apr 15, 2012 at 10:09 AM
    acdronin

Member:
    Looks the same as mine

Products Discussed in

To Top