1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

More Info on the Dually?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by KenLyns, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Apr 18, 2012 at 6:36 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns [OP] 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
  2. Apr 18, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    seksilumpia

seksilumpia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    Performance mods: TRD CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Doug Thorley headers, TRD exhaust. Cosmetic mods: HID 10k head+3k fog lights, BHLM, T-rex 2 eyelids, billet grill (5 piece), 20% front window tint, 4% back window tint, tinted 3rd brake light, altezza tail lights, LED license plate lights, door skid protectors, slotted drilled rotors,plasti dip rims,painted rotor and drums. Interior mods: TRD seat covers, LED map and dome lights, 2 kicker 10' w/ 500 watt amp, pioneer door speakers,and Pioneer AVIC X930BT.
    i do..they are a bitch to do tire work on..duallys are useless unless you tow all the time

3. Apr 18, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    Even better that its a 4cyl.

Maybe would use it to move around large materials that don't weigh alot like insulation.

I would not run alot of weight due to it being a 4cyl and the c channel frame, stock brakes and likely stock front suspension.

4. Apr 18, 2012 at 10:55 PM
    MotorsportsAustin

MotorsportsAustin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd
    Or haul heavy a lot.

5. Apr 19, 2012 at 12:58 AM
    valon5150

valon5150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    redding
    Vehicle:
    01 taco turd
    all pro lift, 33s, home made sliders, bumpers, skids
    Ha no warranty as is cause whoever buys it is gonna work the living shit outta it. this is the first 2nd gen dually i've seen. sorry guys but it would probably be the only 2nd gen I would ever buy. something about duals and flatbeds...gets me going.

it would probably make a great little ranch truck...be better if it was 4x4. I learned to drive on a 60 something datsun with duals and a flatbed. could load 2 yards of manure in it and get it from point A to B. you'd be surprised what these little trucks can do when you don't give a shit what's gonna happen to it

6. Apr 19, 2012 at 1:33 AM
    BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO

BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO DUDE MAN BRO

Member:
    First Name:
    Hot Carl!!!
    Roy UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD-Off Road TACO Extra value package
    Icon Ext Travel w/ Resi Front and rear, Dakar leaf springs, total chaos UCA's, color matched rear bumper, color matched satoshi grille with black chrome TRD emblem, konig countersteer offroads (black) w/ 285/75 Duratracs, sockmonkey Trailiens 3rd tail light cover, Tacomaworld.com sticker (made by me), debadged all around, Relentless Front Bumper, Sliders, Rear bumper, and bed bars with Yakima rack w/ full size spare, shovel, hi-lift
    Really? This thing is worthless... That poor little 4 cyl. is probably struggling enough as is let alone on a muddy farm road with a heavy payload...

7. Apr 19, 2012 at 1:53 AM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    I love the front bench seat that seats 3. And the painted bumperS are cool.

8. Apr 19, 2012 at 2:38 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    The 4 has plenty of power when you're not trying to haul ass. Also have to remember this has a new rear axle and so it is probably regeared. Not my thing but I bet it would work out pretty good.

9. Apr 19, 2012 at 3:18 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    that is awesome

the 4 banger can haul whatever you throw in there. not very fast, though.

it's obviously a work vehicle. performance shouldn't matter, as long as it moves fast enough to go on the freeway.

oh and idk but that doesn't look like the SWB frame. it looks like a reg cab cab w/ a longer (LWB, i dont think the ELWB though) frame. might be just the angle though.

10. Apr 19, 2012 at 6:48 AM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    You buy a mid size because you dont need full size. Here, you are buying a mid size with the intention of overworking it. I'm guessing this owner will complain when it doesn't last 100k, or doesn't tow a 10,000# trailer well.

+1 for something new tho...

11. Apr 19, 2012 at 7:01 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    A dually with P-rated tires :laugh:

That this is about as useful as a cock-flavored lollipop. JCWhitney sells bolt on 'dually' kits for trucks, or at least they used to. I can't see them actually doing anything for safely increasing payload though. Unless you're going to reinforce the frame, beef up the drivetrain and put a HD axle in there, having a dually on a Tacoma is just plain silly at best.

12. Apr 19, 2012 at 7:20 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    That's a total waste ... Looks cool....

Anyone who buys that thing because its a 'dually' and thinks it can tow/haul a lot...is ClUELESS

13. Apr 19, 2012 at 7:23 AM
    Gorillazrus

Gorillazrus To be continued...

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner SR5
    5100 Bilistens set @ 1" in front, Wheelers 5 leaf in rear, Leer Topper, TRD Skid Plate, Dual Band Ham Radio
    If they made one of these like the old trucks with a 1 ton rating I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

14. Apr 19, 2012 at 7:26 AM
    Hard

Hard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    H
    Vehicle:
    4X4X4
    Toyota has made dually one ton trucks for a long time now. There is nothing wrong with the 4cyl drivetrain hauling around that kind of weight. The rear axle may be beefed up but the engine and tranny are stout as can be. If you think a 2TR-fe will have problems think of all the 22R one tons out there. They are definetly not speed machines but they can get the job done.

Dually.jpg

15. Apr 19, 2012 at 7:29 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Put a ton of weight in a stock 2nd Gen 4-cylinder and see how it goes... the frame and suspension are NOT built for that kind of weight, the brakes aren't designed for that kind of weight either. The F-350, and Dodge and Chevy 3500 series trucks are built to haul 1 ton in the bed all day every day, the Tacoma is not. Once in a while you might get away with it and not hurt anything but they are certainly not built for it.

16. Apr 19, 2012 at 7:30 AM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    I've seen a truck just like the one above but it was a double cab sport dually :crazy:

17. Apr 19, 2012 at 7:32 AM
    tdubya72

tdubya72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tracy
    Longview, TX
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD 4x4 DC SuperWhite
    ARB Bumper, WARN Synthetic M8000, ARB intensity LED Floods, OME suspension all around. 18 Fuel Revolvers with Wrangler MTR Kevlar.
    Used to see the kind of "Utes" in Australia all the time of course they were diesel Hilux duallys...Those big flat beds are the shit down there.

18. Apr 19, 2012 at 7:40 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Of course these trucks are not designed to haul lots of weight. However the dually does provide more stability.

This would be great for a landscaping truck. It gives you an extra 2 ft of bed width. and the flat bed stake side is nice for loading plants and such.

I've seen guys do dually conversions on Ford rangers and put a dovetail ramped landscape body on them to use to transport equipment in urban and heavily populated areas where towing a trailer or manuevering a bigger truck would be more difficult.

Why use a huge gas guzzling truck with a dovetail landscape body to carry around a few 21"er walk behind mowers and hand helds in the city?

19. Apr 19, 2012 at 8:58 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    I doubt it, I have towed 2580lbs with my 4 banger and it did not complain much.

20. Apr 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    As it should....its rated for higher than that.

That truck has a 2.7L which tells me its not a mini. It has a 9' bed, which also tells me it used to be an access cab (access cab frame). I don't know if Toyota sold regular cabs with extended frames as utility trucks..... It they didn't, then someone put one hell of a lot of money & time into that truck and they still shouldn't exceed the factory towing/haul rating.

If the owner (builder) stayed within the factory tow/haul ratings - then the over sized heavy duty stake bed, the dually axle, and the additional 2 wheels - let along anything else they had to do to make it work....is a waste of money. Do you realize how much extra weight all those modifications add?? That extra weight 'takes away' from its factory tow/haul rating.

So, whoever had that truck, went WAY beyond the trucks tow/haul rating. Everyone else who looks at it, will assume it was built for heavy loads.

There needs to be more information about that truck..... WHY? I see it has AS IS - NO WARRANTY. Coming from a dealer of sorts, that alone...would scare me.

Products Discussed in

To Top