1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

This is CRAZY!!!

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by branct06, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Mar 29, 2009 at 4:48 AM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    I took a stroll over to the SuperDuty website and looked around for oil change info. That same question about "Cab Removal" was asked a few times from potential buyers.

The oil can be changed in your driveway. One owner said that you can just crawl up under, remove the drain plug and do the change just like any other vehicle. I guess the filter is a cartridge type which gets accessed from under the hood.

The cab is designed to be removed for major repair like for head gaskets and total engine removal. One owner stated that the labor costs would be to extensive for routine maintenance. I wonder if it was true, would there be many "free" oil change coupons being handed out?

I'm just going by what I read but the overall readings seem to state that this is a misconception about Cab removal and oil changes.

[​IMG]
    That is a typical salesman, and you bought a truck from this jerk? You can crawl under the truck and pull the plug and refill it, no problem. The filter is as easy to change and not messy.

Dave [​IMG]

Info #2
    http://tow411.yuku.com/topic/13436/t/New-Super-Duty-Nightmare.html

Info #3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWsGsunQwM8 (for major repair, this one took 25.5 hours)

2. Mar 29, 2009 at 9:47 AM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB, STOCK..But not for long
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
    wow thats crazy when is the tundra getting a diesel again? lol i don't like my options if i want to buy a diesel truck these days. GM has drivetrain problems steering and suspension included. Dodge love the engine HATE the interiors Ford. FOUND ON ROAD DEAD

3. Mar 29, 2009 at 10:10 AM
    TEX357

TEX357 TX

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TACOMA
    285\70-17 BFGoodrich KM2's 17x8 Pro Comp 7089
    thats fuked uppp

4. Mar 6, 2010 at 10:18 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    That is crazy. Just today I heard on the radio that about some guy that was having trouble w/his super duty turns out the dealer wasn't emptying out his "Water seprator" canster.

5. Mar 6, 2010 at 10:50 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    There is nothing surprising about that.. Every diesel truck engine should have the fuel filter and water separator cleaned/replaced at every oil change, or at least every other. Its just part of the regular scheduled service.

6. Mar 8, 2010 at 5:49 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    Right. My point is that the dealer didn't empty the canster when he did the oil changes. It's like if we took our truck in and some one left a water bottle in the engine "bay" to catch the oil form the oil filter.

7. Mar 8, 2010 at 6:02 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    That is not correct. The diesel engines, in order to meet new emissions standards regarding particulates, have a soot collector. When the collector gets full the engine management system dumps fuel into the exhaust and it then dumps the soot canister and burns the soot. This was an engineered design. Kind of a cool solution, but I have an issue with it.

First, what if you are on the highway and next to another car when this happens, or worse next to a motorcycle.

Second, what happens when a rancher is driving in a pasture, or worse in the barn when this happens? The second was brought to the attention of Ford. Their response is that the superduty is a highway vehicle, not intended for off-road use. So, if a rancher sets his wheat field on fire, he wasn't supposed to be driving it off-road and its his own fault.

Not that I like blaming companies for their products being used in ways not intended and causing an accident. But, this is engineered this way, for a market that typically uses them in tall grass and they are trying to wash their hands knowing all the while it is going to be an issue. That to me is a bit scumbagish.

8. Mar 8, 2010 at 6:18 AM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    Well, cab over truck tilt forward to get to the engine, those are the trucks doin garbage for example.... but a PICKUP!!! Come one now.
    I like Ford, but time after time they provide a big ol fail for the customers. On the other hand many of the customers just want bigger, go bigger , bigger than that dodge for bragging rights......now 6.4 cant fit HAHAHA

9. Mar 8, 2010 at 6:28 AM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    Wow. The Internet is great. Partial truth, magnified by the grape vine into a whopper.

Yes, many new diesels use a particulate filter to trap the black soot from a diesel. It is like a catalytic converter in shape and passage size but the passages do not go all the way through. Some are capped on the front and others on the back. There are ports between them that cause the exhaust to make a sharp turn from one tube to another. This works like a snow fence, causing a low pressure area that makes the soot pile up and get trapped. The system uses a delta pressure system to detect when the back pressure is increasing. When this happens it goes into regeneration mode. The injectors are electronic so they can fire them into the cylinder and again to put an extra shot during the exhaust stroke. This is to raise the temp in the particulate trap and burn the soot down to fine ash. The filter is a replacement item with an expected life of about 120k miles. Under normal conditions the flame does NOT come out the tail pipe. There are even venturis in the exhaust pipe to mix cooler outside air with the exhaust to keep the outlet temp at a safe level.

The truck in the video is in regeneration, but there was also a fuel system fault causing a higher than normal fuel flow ALONG WITH the regeneration cycle. The flame is the result. The fix was a programming update to link in EGT (exhaust temp) for a regeneration override. IF the temp gets too high, regeneration is suspended.

Before you talk about "Ford Junk" let me tell you that other makers have since added this type of software. ALL manufacturers run into unexpected behavior in the field. Usually "there is an app for that" takes care of it.

The oil change and cab removal is bogus. The cab removal for any major work is accurate. Has been for years.

This is all a result of our EPA regulations and the needed vehicle designs. We are taking great diesel engines and making them very complex. Many makers with GREAT diesels cannot sell them here due to the new regulations imposed on them. They are working to come up with new systems. Particulate traps, enhanced EGR systems and even aqueous ammonia injection to control emissions. The common rail injection systems are almost universal now as opposed to the more mechanical systems of the past.

Please take the time to search before feeding the flames. (pun intended)

The OP story about the service is likely poor communication syndrome between service and customer. Or just a story. Oil changes are expensive on new diesels but more so because of the cost of parts and the VOLUME of high price oil one of these beasts eats.

10. Mar 8, 2010 at 6:47 AM
    GSRON

GSRON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR Cement
    Quikfix seat risers and lic plate mount, MESO interior and stage 1 tails, glove box and console dividers, shelf for center console, FACTOR 55 hitch link, TC bed stiffeners, OE bed mat,
    Stop clouding the issue with facts........ That's not what the internet is for.... :D

11. Mar 14, 2010 at 8:55 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Nothing that I said was untrue. While the exact workings of the system are cool, and I admit to not fully understanding all of the physics behind it; what I have issue with is Ford's position that the flame glitch was not a problem and that they were not liable should it happen to a rancher while off-road.

12. Mar 14, 2010 at 9:30 AM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    From my original post on this topic........

The truck in the video is in regeneration, but there was also a fuel system fault causing a higher than normal fuel flow ALONG WITH the regeneration cycle. The flame is the result. The fix was a programming update to link in EGT (exhaust temp) for a regeneration override. IF the temp gets too high, regeneration is suspended.

So it is NOT Ford's position that the flames are normal. MYTH. There is a reflash of the onboard computer to prevent the flames from happening. I am not and was not flaming you. All I ask is that we all try to be accurate.

AGAIN .......... Flames from a Ford Diesel are not normal in my eyes or Ford's. The issue causing the flames is resolved.

Are we good? If I have not explained it well, please let me know. I know my posts can get wordy, but I usually try to make them clear.

Have a good one.

13. Mar 14, 2010 at 9:36 AM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    Sounds like a good idea to me. It may suck to do an oil change, but may really help if doing more major work on th engine. None of that pesky bodywork to get in the way!

I once saw an article on a guy who is into offroading, when it came to him needing to do any work on the underside of his car (eg welding) he used to turn the car onto his side. Anybody who's done welding on the underside of a car will agree that this is a good idea.

14. Mar 14, 2010 at 9:47 AM
    Taco.Tim

Taco.Tim Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2010 Buhlue Access Cab 2WD
    Looking!
    The cab removal video was pretty cool. Any major work on my Y2K vette is similar, where it is easier to raise the body up and leave the drivetrain on the ground.

Tim Glover

15. Mar 24, 2010 at 9:41 AM
    mojochili

mojochili Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    White Taco SR5 4.0L V6 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    Astro Hi-Top Camper Shell, Drop in K&N air filter
    Yeah that vid is neat! It reminds be of my RC trucks! Take the body off and DO WORK! I guess like anything it has pros and cons though.

Products Discussed in

To Top