1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Purchase advice - 4x2 snow performance, etc.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Da Hapa, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Apr 26, 2012 at 9:54 AM
    Grundletaint

Grundletaint Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 crewmax tundra 4x4
    Debadged, derped, weathertech visors, antennax, tinted, need more money
    Will he be driving it enough that gas will make that big of a difference? If he has another more fuel efficient DD then it might not even matter that much.

2. Apr 26, 2012 at 9:57 AM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    4X4--if you have it ---you WILL USE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Apr 26, 2012 at 10:03 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    i would not go to NY at least western NY with out 4WD!! just would not do it. we don’t get that much snow here in TN but when we do they don’t know how to clean the roads. but i also got the 4wd so that i can go see family in winter up in WNY.

4. Apr 26, 2012 at 11:45 AM
    VanCity4x

VanCity4x Well-Known Member

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons

They actually do make a 4x4 2.7L, I know somebody that has one.

Untitled.jpg

5. Apr 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    Picking a good line...are you serious? Wow. Since when do you "pick a good line" on a snow covered road? Please, oh great knowledgeable snow driving expert, show me the ideal line to pick for this situation!

[​IMG]

Want to know what happened to every 2wd car and truck up there that day? Nothing, they couldn't move. It took 5 guys to push a 2wd suv enough to get it to be able to move on it's own. I turned on my truck in 4wd and guess what, I let off the brake and rolled right along without even spinning the tires. Imagine if your parents are somewhere with no body really else around and they get stuck just enough to where there back tire is spinning and they cant rock themselves free. Do you really think your parents will enjoy getting out and pushing when they could have just put it in 4wd?

6. Apr 26, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    The good line is the one to the left of the right hand ditch and to the right of the oncoming traffic

4WD FTW

7. Apr 26, 2012 at 1:07 PM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    I vote DCLB 4x4 V6 base.

• DC - for the ability to transport grandkids/family/friends.
    • LB - for the utility, his home improvement projects
    • 4x4 - for the winters in NY
    • Base - to keep the price as low as possible.
    I believe it still has power windows and door locks. He has been driving 30+ years. I'm sure he will get by without backup camera. Just my opinion. :D

8. Apr 26, 2012 at 1:45 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    Not in a DC model, only 4x2's. I checked their site -- I didn't even think they made a 4x2 DC with a 2.7L, but they have 2 models, Base and PreRunner.

They only come with an automatic transmission, though. I would want a standard with the 4-cylinder.

Honestly, though, the gas mileage isn't different enough to worry about between the V6 and I4.

9. Apr 26, 2012 at 1:58 PM
    Da Hapa

Da Hapa [OP] Member

Member:
    While they will still have the CRV, this will likely be his primary car. The actual cash difference of mileage might not seem too bad but please keep in mind, this is a retirement gift. My inlaws will be on fixed incomes and every penny matters.

10. Apr 26, 2012 at 4:21 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    Understood, but again, the 2.7 in DC is probably not an easy configuration to find. And partnered with a 4-speed automatic, it's just not very efficient in a vehicle that size. Doing the math, assuming 10K miles a year and $4 per gallon, the V6 only costs $20 to $35 per month more in fuel costs. On a fixed income that can be a hit, but a retiree probably won't hit 10K miles per year unless they are taking long trips in it.

So have you decided whether you want 4WD yet?

11. Apr 26, 2012 at 7:27 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    The most obvious response is, no line because I wouldn't be out in it. Why would his retiree parents?

12. Apr 26, 2012 at 8:09 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    Well then this topic does not really pertain to you now now does it? And because his retiree parents live in a state with snow and potentially un plowed back roads and parking lots.

13. Apr 27, 2012 at 8:46 AM
    Da Hapa

Da Hapa [OP] Member

Member:
    I have the luxury of time and so ordering an I4 DC isn't a big deal. I also share your sentiments about the relatively minor increase in fuel costs but would counter with this.. I personally don't expect gas to stay at $4/gallon... I think it's going to continue to increase. Moreover, there is increased maintenance and insurance costs associated with going 4x4. In an of themselves, each of these increases aren't huge but when you're talking about two relatively young folks in retirement (56 and 62), I am focused on keeping their costs down as much as possible.

I'm actually now kicking around the idea of finding a nice, 2 year old, CPO V6 DC 4X4 here in S. CA (so I can drive, see, etc. it) and perhaps shipping it to NY. It won't have the same pop as a brand new truck but as down to earth as my in laws are, they'd still be pretty excited about that. I think I might be able to get my all in cost about the same. I still have the increased costs over time to contend with mentally but if it means a bit more safety for them those few days a year when they need it... sometimes a little money well spent is worth it.

Again, I really, really appreciate all of your time, input and thoughts. I'm still noodling this over (going to look at a CPO truck this weekend) so please keep it coming.

14. Apr 27, 2012 at 8:50 AM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    :thumbsup: sounds like a good idea.

15. Dec 12, 2013 at 3:35 PM
    KingDavey

KingDavey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Think about it...
    Western Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    5100s, OEM back-up cam, JVC
    I had a 2008 base 2wd Tacoma access cab sr5. Easy to get into/out of. Plenty of power and great gas mileage. If the double cab existed back then I would have gotten it instead. Stock Dunlops were usable in the snow. When they wore out and I replaced them with Winterforce tires, it went anywhere! Even with the stock tires I never got stuck in snow. Mud yes.:D I used to drive 35 miles from Massachusetts into Connecticut every day to work. My less optioned 2013 4x4 regular cab was way more expensive than my old truck too.:mad:

16. Dec 12, 2013 at 3:37 PM
    KingDavey

Member:
    First Name:
    Think about it...
    Western Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    lol holy resurrection

17. Dec 12, 2013 at 3:40 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    They had double cabs in 2008

:notsure:

18. Dec 14, 2013 at 3:13 PM
    KingDavey

Member:
    First Name:
    Think about it...
    Western Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4