4Running Daily's 96 4Runner Build

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 4Runner Builds

Notices

tx_shooter's '87 4Runner Build

Old 05-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
tx_shooter's '87 4Runner Build

This is my 87 4Runner that I bought from a friend. It was parked in the back of his truck collection - so I'm sure he isn't missing it.

Current Setup:
Stock motor
33" Super Swamper TSLs
no lift
Spartan locker in rear axle
well pipe rear bumper that is rearranging trees at will

Setup when I bought it:
Stock motor
31" tires
no lift
no lockers
well pipe rear bumper that can rearrange a forest

Here it is when I was looking at it.

Once I got it home I replaced the windshield wiper I broke during the test wheeling session and had the radiator rodded to ensure the right amount of cooling. I really have no complaints because the motor cranks right up and purrs all day.

June 1, 2011
Sliders and tow bar connection points welded on.

Sliders are 2" DOM from Trail-Gear.com and so far they seem pretty damn stout. We will see next time we go to the trail.

Making the rims match the rest of the truck with some fresh black and yellow rattlecan paint.

Some wheeling pics from it's first trip out. Bridgeport Memorial Day 2011

When we arrived... trailered the Runner up there so incase it just shit the bed on me. For the record, my Tacoma did a really good job pulling it up there.

Out on the trail next to Taco76087's rig.

Going up the short verticals when we first got there in the morning.

http://youtu.be/6QPY7p0KvYQ

Update from Aug 3, 2011

Old Tires 31x10.5x15 Coopers

New Tires 33x12.5x15 Super Swamper TSLs

Next - 2" Suspension Lift
Old 05-31-2011, 04:27 AM   #3
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by achirdo View Post
Amazing how much easier 4x4 makes it

It is easier - but now I'm looking for that locker in the rear. Always one more thing I guess.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
yotamikez's Tacoma Gallery
This thing is badass I will be following your build.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
yotamikez's Tacoma Gallery
Just saw the new m/t in the tx bs thread look good. I been looknig for a old 4runner/pick up to wheel so I dont mess up my daily.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotamikez View Post
This thing is badass I will be following your build.
Thanks, keep watching... my wife just got a job so I'm about to start throwing money at it.

Quote:
Time for an update zech
New tires - once I get all four on I'll post before/after pics. If it all goes right that should be tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotamikez View Post
Just saw the new m/t in the tx bs thread look good. I been looknig for a old 4runner/pick up to wheel so I dont mess up my daily.
That is what I did. I took my PreRunner off road one time and realized that I will never get that lucky again. I talked to a couple friends about looking for a trail rig the next day and a couple days later i got a call about this 4Runner for $500. Then it all started.

Up next.... finishing the new Super Swamper TSLs, a 2" suspension lift, 1.5" wheel spacers, electric fan install, top end rebuild and RV cam install.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
badbob76087 is on a distinguished road
Marines: USMC Retired.  F-4 Phantoms, F-18 Blue Angels
Name: Bob
badbob76087's Tacoma Gallery
Nice Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_shooter View Post
This is my 87 4Runner that I bought from a friend. It was parked in the back of his truck collection - so I'm sure he isn't missing it.

Current Setup:
Stock motor
33" Super Swamper TSLs
no lift
no lockers
well pipe rear bumper that is rearranging trees at will

Setup when I bought it:
Stock motor
31" tires
no lift
no lockers
well pipe rear bumper that can rearrange a forest

Here it is when I was looking at it.

Once I got it home I replaced the windshield wiper I broke during the test wheeling session and had the radiator rodded to ensure the right amount of cooling. I really have no complaints because the motor cranks right up and purrs all day.

June 1, 2011
Sliders and tow bar connection points welded on.

Sliders are 2" DOM from Trail-Gear.com and so far they seem pretty damn stout. We will see next time we go to the trail.

Making the rims match the rest of the truck with some fresh black and yellow rattlecan paint.

Some wheeling pics from it's first trip out. Bridgeport Memorial Day 2011

When we arrived... trailered the Runner up there so incase it just shit the bed on me. For the record, my Tacoma did a really good job pulling it up there.

Out on the trail next to Taco76087's rig.

Going up the short verticals when we first got there in the morning.

http://youtu.be/6QPY7p0KvYQ

Update from Aug 3, 2011

Old Tires 31x10.5x15 Coopers

New Tires 33x12.5x15 Super Swamper TSLs

Next - 2" Suspension Lift
Have some shackles for you!
Old 09-03-2011, 05:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob76087 View Post
Have some shackles for you!
Yeah, I need to get up there and get them too! Get my number from Robert and give me a call some time on when a good time would be.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:25 AM   #10

Shackles are installed so it sits level now. I did some more hammering and flattening in the front wheel wells and the sway bar is now a thing of the past. Since the rig is 90% off road there is no reason for it to be there limiting my front wheel travel.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #11

Spartan locker installed in the rear axle.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #12
XxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
XxTHe FioLOxX's Tacoma Gallery
Nice rig
Old 12-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #13
badbob76087 is on a distinguished road
Marines: USMC Retired.  F-4 Phantoms, F-18 Blue Angels
Name: Bob
badbob76087's Tacoma Gallery
Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_shooter View Post
Spartan locker installed in the rear axle.
We just fired up the new engine. Be ready for Bridgeport soon.

One of us has to change colors, we are all BLACK.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxTHe FioLOxX View Post
Nice rig
Thanks; I'm just building it as the money is available... so not much at the moment, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob76087 View Post
We just fired up the new engine. Be ready for Bridgeport soon.

One of us has to change colors, we are all BLACK.
Just give me a couple weekends notice and I can be game for Bridgeport. As for the all blacks; I'm hoping to shoot it with some tan or dark green this summer.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #16

Misquote of the week... and yet so on the mark.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Can I sig that?
Trying to get me banned?
Old 12-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #20

Good point. Go for it.