4Running Daily's 96 4Runner Build

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 4Runner Builds

Notices

Blake's 1984 4Runner Build

Old 02-17-2012, 05:47 AM   #21
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
ThatGuy18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_shooter View Post
Real "stuck" no; but I'm not moving a boulder out of the way this time. Wheel that bitch or I'm picking parts off of it on the trail.
Lol. That was more like trapped rather than stuck.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:49 AM   #22
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty 06 4x4 View Post
man I love those 4runners
I really wanted a pick up when I started looking for a rig but I'm growing more in love with the 4Runners. No you can't back half/cage bed them like you can the pickups but they're still awesome rigs!
Old 02-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #23
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy18 View Post
Lol. That was more like trapped rather than stuck.
Either way next time I'm picking parts. Lol
Old 02-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #24

4xInnovation sliders and Marlin Crawler high steer should ship on Monday
Old 02-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #25

Going to pull the IFS steering box out of the '86 on Tuesday to put in the '84 for the high steer. Going to go ahead and tap it for hydraulic assist while it's out so I don't have to pull it back out later when I do the hydraulic assist. I'll just cap the fittings until then.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #26
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not at the moment. It's the same axle as the one that's in it only wider. If I end up going with a full width front (Dana 44) then I'd swap it. But if I run anything other than Toyota axles I'll be going to tons. But I'll have to seriously tear up the axles to drop the Yotas!
Hi nice runner got to love the old schools. The 86' and up rear axles are better because of the longer width I believe 58" rather than 55'', which is better for wheeling because you won't be stuffing the rear tires in the wheel wells as much. they are pretty much the same axle. thought axle tubes are bigger on the 86' and up along with bigger brakes. I'd like to have an 86' and up rear axle on my 85'. 4runner looks good!

Brett
Old 02-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceline08 View Post
Hi nice runner got to love the old schools. The 86' and up rear axles are better because of the longer width I believe 58" rather than 55'', which is better for wheeling because you won't be stuffing the rear tires in the wheel wells as much. they are pretty much the same axle. thought axle tubes are bigger on the 86' and up along with bigger brakes. I'd like to have an 86' and up rear axle on my 85'. 4runner looks good!

Brett
It looks dumb unless you have a full width front. And screws up your tracking on steering.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #28
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
It looks dumb unless you have a full width front. And screws up your tracking on steering.
Ya, but thats when you would put wheel spacer's on the front axle to match the rear. Have you ever been to the Marlin site? just asking there's a bunch of cool older yota stuff over there. Just throughing it out there not trying to make any waves. All the things i learned about the older yotas i learned at Marlin, now I got my 08' for my DD i have to learn all over again. so I turned to TW for info and stuff for my new truck. Cheers

Brett
Old 02-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Ya, but thats when you would put wheel spacer's on the front axle to match the rear. Have you ever been to the Marlin site? just asking there's a bunch of cool older yota stuff over there. Just throughing it out there not trying to make any waves. All the things i learned about the older yotas i learned at Marlin, now I got my 08' for my DD i have to learn all over again. so I turned to TW for info and stuff for my new truck. Cheers

Brett
I'm keeping the axles I have now. A set of Longfields up front with some 4340 Chromoly shafts in the rear and I should be good to go
Old 02-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #30

Yep. the 4340's are sweet. Got anymore pics of the runner? looks good

Brett
Old 02-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #31

I'll add a link to the Photobucket album I made for it. All pictures I take will be uploaded there but it may take a few days before I get them put up in the thread.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #32

Quote:
Yep. the 4340's are sweet. Got anymore pics of the runner? looks good

Brett
Since this thing already has 4.7s and dual lockers, it's making me wonder if it has Longfields in it already. I guess I'll be pulling them Tuesday to find out.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #33

Hell ya Keep us posted!

Brett
Old 02-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #34

for tax season! Ordering all new suspension in the next week or two.

Front:
Trail-Gear Superflex 3" front springs (non-HD)
Trail-Gear spring hanger kit
Trail-Gear shock hoops
Trail-Gear three hole spring perches
Axle moved forward 1"

Rear:
F150 2wd springs
Trail-Gear forward spring hangers

U-Bolt flips and Bilstein 5150s all around
Old 02-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson View Post
Nice runner. I look forward to seeing those parts installed. I just got an 85, I'm thinking about getting the Trail Gear classic front kit with 3" or 4" springs. I'm not sure about the rear yet.
Yeah I'm basically doing the TG Classic Front Kit. I just don't need the brake stuff, the high steer, or the knuckle rebuild kit right now so I'm ordering it in pieces. It has brand new brakes all around with extended lines, the knuckles were rebuilt two weeks ago, and I have Marlin Crawler High Steer on order. I'm excited to get this thing out and wheel. I was going to try to make a day trip in March but looks like it will be under the knife for most of March. Now I'm just hoping I'll be able to make it to the Lonestar Toyota Jamboree in April!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #37
Glamour Shot
ajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ajohnson's Tacoma Gallery
As far as I know my knuckles have never been rebuilt so I figure I can go ahead and do that and learn how to work on it. I also want the crossover steering so I like how Trail Gear includes so many parts.

Right now I've got a cheap lift with blocks in the rear that the previous owner installed. I want to upgrade the rear at the same time as the front and clean off the whole frame and por-15 it and be done until I can get some gears and lockers.

I look forward to your progress, keep it updated
Old 02-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #38

Quote:
As far as I know my knuckles have never been rebuilt so I figure I can go ahead and do that and learn how to work on it. I also want the crossover steering so I like how Trail Gear includes so many parts.

Right now I've got a cheap lift with blocks in the rear that the previous owner installed. I want to upgrade the rear at the same time as the front and clean off the whole frame and por-15 it and be done until I can get some gears and lockers.

I look forward to your progress, keep it updated
I plan to run my knuckles as they are until I need to rebuild them again. Then I'll be upgrading to the Trail-Gear Six Shooter knuckles. If you're going to be rebuilding your knuckles, might as well do everything at once. Look into this kit from Marlin. It's a little more expensive than some but it includes the wheel bearings also. Plus it's Marlin so you know it's the best!

http://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/fr...le-service-kit

Not sure if you're looking for just lift or offroad performance but the 5" SkyJacker springs and ProComp shocks off of this one will be for sale in a couple of weeks. But if you're looking for offroad performance they wouldn't be a good match. They no flexy.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #39
Glamour Shot
ajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ajohnson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I plan to run my knuckles as they are until I need to rebuild them again. Then I'll be upgrading to the Trail-Gear Six Shooter knuckles. If you're going to be rebuilding your knuckles, might as well do everything at once. Look into this kit from Marlin. It's a little more expensive than some but it includes the wheel bearings also. Plus it's Marlin so you know it's the best!

http://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/fr...le-service-kit

Not sure if you're looking for just lift or offroad performance but the 5" SkyJacker springs and ProComp shocks off of this one will be for sale in a couple of weeks. But if you're looking for offroad performance they wouldn't be a good match. They no flexy.
Thanks for the advice, I do plan to pretty much rebuild the whole axle, new wheel bearings, Marlin inner axle seals, knuckle rebuild.

Like I said I already have a cheap lift so I'm not looking to replace it with another cheap lift . I am looking for off road performance.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #40

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, I do plan to pretty much rebuild the whole axle, new wheel bearings, Marlin inner axle seals, knuckle rebuild.

Like I said I already have a cheap lift so I'm not looking to replace it with another cheap lift . I am looking for off road performance.
Well I wouldn't really classify this one as a "cheap lift". No blocks or anything, it all comes from the springs. But yeah, I understand. You just never said exactly what you were going to use the Runner for. I should have known though. Who would have one of these things and NOT wheel it?!?