4Running Daily's 96 4Runner Build

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 4Runner Builds

Notices

Blake's 1984 4Runner Build

Old 02-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
ThatGuy18's Tacoma Gallery
Blake's 1984 4Runner Build

Okay after realizing I was in over my head with my 1986 4Runner I decided to purchase one that already ran and had a SFA. So low and behold, I am now the proud new owner of a 1984 4Runner 4x4. It's got a few things already done to it that make it a good platform to build off of but I've still got a lot in store for this thing.

Link to Photobucket album. Pictures will be uploaded to PB a few days before they make it to this thread.
http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/...984%204Runner/

Specs:
-1984 4Runner 4x4
-294,492 miles on body
-30,000 on rebuilt 22R
-5-speed G52 transmission
-34x10.5x15 Super Swamper TSLs
-Detroit lockers front and rear
-4.7s in transfer case
-5" SkyJacker springs front and rear
-ProComp shocks
-Extended spline driveshafts front and rear
-GotPropane conversion

Realistic Future Mods:
-4xInnovation DOM sliders with kickout - Ordered
-Marlin Crawler high steer - Ordered
-Front axle truss and diff armor - Ordered
-Trail-Gear 3" rear springs - Ordered
-Trail-Gear 3" front springs - Ordered
-Extended Bilstein 5125 shocks - Ordered
-Addicted Offroad front bumper - Ordered
-4xInnovation tube doors
-4xInnovation passenger length rollcage
-Longfield Superaxle front shafts
-36" tires
-PSC hydraulic assist steering

I'm sure there's some stuff I'm leaving out on both lists but I'll update as I think of stuff. The future mods list is somewhat in order but things may change. Sliders will be ordered Friday and possibly the high steer kit also. I'm parting out my '86 and keeping the IFS steering box for the high steer and also the EFI stuff for the conversion.

I'll update this tomorrow evening when I'm not so tired (been up 30 hours so far!) Here's a couple of pictures to hold you over until then:

In the driveway, the day I bought it.

Interior is in decent shape other than the ghetto steering wheel
Old 02-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
when did i get a 84 4runner?
Old 02-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Can't wait to pull this thing out of it's first stuck! lol j/k
Old 02-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Got the passenger side hub removed, cleaned, repacked, and reinstalled tonight after work. I now have 4wd

Will be ordering sliders tomorrow night and possibly the high steer kit. I flexed it out in a "creek" in our front yard and it severely disappointed me. Not sure if the shocks are binding or if the springs are that fu'd up. I'll probably add some shock hoops up front with some extended Bilsteins and Trail-Gear 3" non-HD springs and do some extended Bilsteins out back in the / \ formation with some Chevy 63s or F150 springs. It's pretty tall so I want to bring it down a few inches and still fit 37s
Old 02-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_shooter View Post
Can't wait to pull this thing out of it's first stuck! lol j/k
Lol, you think this thing is going to get stuck.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

didnt you have a build of the 86?
Old 02-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by higherlux View Post
didnt you have a build of the 86?
I had a thread about it, but it wasn't a build. I tore the truck apart then decided I was too lazy to put it back together so I bought this one. The 86 is a parts truck now.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy18 View Post
I had a thread about it, but it wasn't a build. I tore the truck apart then decided I was too lazy to put it back together so I bought this one. The 86 is a parts truck now.
i was wondering because i need a few parts
Old 02-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #9

Quote:
i was wondering because i need a few parts
PM me and I'll see what I can do. It really doesn't have any interior parts other than front seats. I'm keeping the EFI to swap to the 84. Another member has dibs on the engine block and some parts.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #10

Some parts I won't be selling because I want to keep them as spares.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #11

And I'm 90% sure this thing DOES have 4.7s

I basically stole this thing
Old 02-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #12

are you swapping in the 86 rear axle?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #13

Quote:
are you swapping in the 86 rear axle?
Not at the moment. It's the same axle as the one that's in it only wider. If I end up going with a full width front (Dana 44) then I'd swap it. But if I run anything other than Toyota axles I'll be going to tons. But I'll have to seriously tear up the axles to drop the Yotas!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Not at the moment. It's the same axle as the one that's in it only wider. If I end up going with a full width front (Dana 44) then I'd swap it. But if I run anything other than Toyota axles I'll be going to tons. But I'll have to seriously tear up the axles to drop the Yotas!
i wouldn't swap in d44's if i were breaking toy axles id swap in d60's and then if i screw them up hello rockwells's

but thats just me
Old 02-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #15

Quote:
i wouldn't swap in d44's if i were breaking toy axles id swap in d60's and then if i screw them up hello rockwells's

but thats just me
Yeah that's why I said if I dump the Yota axles I'd go to tons. But then I'd want a 3.4 swap! Only reason I'd consider a D44 is just for the full width of it. Plus I know a guy at work that will make me a hell of a deal on one. But I have other stuff to worry about at the moment. Axles are far down on the "fix it before it breaks" list.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #16

1UZ > 3.4 any day
Old 02-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #17

Quote:
1UZ > 3.4 any day
More power is not always better on the trail. But it would make it a heck of a lot easier to drive on the street!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #18

Quote:
More power is not always better on the trail. But it would make it a heck of a lot easier to drive on the street!

true thats why i wanna 3rz my 86
Old 02-17-2012, 04:36 AM   #19
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Lol, you think this thing is going to get stuck.
Real "stuck" no; but I'm not moving a boulder out of the way this time. Wheel that bitch or I'm picking parts off of it on the trail.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:56 AM   #20
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
man I love those 4runners