4Running Daily's 96 4Runner Build

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 4Runner Builds

Notices

Jerretxx: Little Brothers 4runner build

Old 08-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
Some do, others talk
jerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerret
jerretxx's Tacoma Gallery
Jerretxx: Little Brothers 4runner build

My little brother is about to turn 15 and get his permit, so we decided that a toyota would be a great first vehicle. We bought the truck as is, and were planning on putting it back together.

Current View:

Specs:
1988 toyota 4runner, 4x4, 5 speed, 3.0L V6 SR5

Current Mods:
1985 toyota Front axle
1985 toyota land cruiser front rotors (vented)
Trail-Gear SAS front hanger
Trail-Gear shock hoops
Trail-Gear Rock Sliders
Custom rock lights
Custom Front and rear bumpers
Custom transfer case brake
Trail-gear 4" leaf springs Front & Rear
Inchworm knuckle rebuild and backing plate eliminators
26" Trail-gear SS brake lines
6" trail-gear shackles
Trail-gear u-bolt flips front and rear
14" bilstein SS shocks font and rear

Future Mods:
5.29 gears Front&rear
tru-trac rear locker
17" wheels
35" tires (still deciding)

What it looked like before the previous owner stripped the suspension:

What it looks like now:

Old 08-27-2012, 04:38 AM   #2
awsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
Very clean. Reminds me of the 89 I used to have.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:43 AM   #3
Some do, others talk
jerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsumdc View Post
Very clean. Reminds me of the 89 I used to have.
Thanks man. Did yours have 3.0?
Old 08-27-2012, 04:48 AM   #4
awsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerretxx View Post
Thanks man. Did yours have 3.0?

You mean the 3.slow? It sure did. Loved that little truck.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:29 AM   #5
Some do, others talk

Quote:
You mean the 3.slow? It sure did. Loved that little truck.
Haha yes! I've only had 22 motors, and 4.0 v6's. This 3.0 has a new top end though. Did yours give any problems that I should keep my eye on?
Old 08-27-2012, 05:48 AM   #6
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Haha yes! I've only had 22 motors, and 4.0 v6's. This 3.0 has a new top end though. Did yours give any problems that I should keep my eye on?
No not really. The top end had been done before I got it so it didn't give me any problems at all. It actually ran pretty good and got me to where I wanted to go all the time.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:04 AM   #7
Some do, others talk

Quote:
No not really. The top end had been done before I got it so it didn't give me any problems at all. It actually ran pretty good and got me to where I wanted to go all the time.
Good to hear. This one runs very good and the transmission and clutch are tight. You didn't happen to change your transfercase From chain driven to gear driven did you?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good to hear. This one runs very good and the transmission and clutch are tight. You didn't happen to change your transfercase From chain driven to gear driven did you?
No. I left it chain drive and it worked perfectly for me. Had I kept it I would have changed it to dual cases using the gear cases with 4.7 gears in the rear case.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
Some do, others talk

Quote:
No. I left it chain drive and it worked perfectly for me. Had I kept it I would have changed it to dual cases using the gear cases with 4.7 gears in the rear case.
i was thinking about doing the adapter for the gear case and running a single case with a 4.7
Old 08-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
Some do, others talk

I ordered 4" trail gear leaf springs for front and rear along with hi-steer kit today. I ordered it from my buddy Damien at MOBS fab, I got a good price, highly recommend him
Old 08-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Gonna be sweet! if I've met your little brother or not
Old 08-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #13
Some do, others talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-4_Yota View Post
Gonna be sweet! if I've met your little brother or not
He was riding with me when I toasted my clutch
Old 08-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Oh okay, getting a good group of old rigs up. Then there's Adam with his fancy a/c
Old 08-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #15
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
love those runners like that. sub'd.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #16
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
that runner = sex on wheels
Old 08-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #17
Some do, others talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-4_Yota View Post
Oh okay, getting a good group of old rigs up. Then there's Adam with his fancy a/c
we counted them saturday. between Me, adam, Matt, Andy, Matt ragan (sas 4runner), and your self and a few other of our buddies that wheel, we have 17 toyotas, 4 of which are IFS.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #18
Some do, others talk

just received my UPS tracking order. Springs are scheduled to be here on tuesday! going to get interesting
Old 08-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #20
Some do, others talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson View Post
Put some weight on those rear springs for a couple weeks, they will soften up nicely.
awesome. Also I think I have located a front axle. going with a 79-81 axle which has Asco hubs.