4Running Daily's 96 4Runner Build

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 4Runner Builds

Notices

The Rock Lobster

Old 12-17-2013, 12:17 AM   #21
NW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NW4RUNNER's Tacoma Gallery
This thing is awesome man. The sesame street guy cracked me up.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #22
4Runner Abuser
steezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
steezemcqueen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
I weigh about 5200lbs empty.. haha 5800+ with gear on a trip..What do you weigh??

I am planing to get 4.88s yes..just probably not till summer..hopefully lockers too.

i am gonna boost too just not a supercharger.

I bet the crawl box helps a ton too offroad...would love that too..

*sigh*..its only money right..haha
Damn i guess you weigh more than me haha. I haven't got it weighed yet but i am estimating right around 5000lbs under the normal everyday setup.

I've been trying to convince myself its only money for a long time. I think i may have finally done it haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4RUNNER View Post
This thing is awesome man. The sesame street guy cracked me up.
Thanks man! I'm gonna try and post some more updates in here today.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #23
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steezemcqueen View Post
Damn i guess you weigh more than me haha. I haven't got it weighed yet but i am estimating right around 5000lbs under the normal everyday setup.

I've been trying to convince myself its only money for a long time. I think i may have finally done it haha

Thanks man! I'm gonna try and post some more updates in here today.

yea i weighted about 5800lbs with just stuff for me..if i have a 2nd person..their gear and two dogs..well over 6000lbs then..ha

and i still haven't added a belly skid..or my 35s..im a fat ass...haha

But yea! id say you've done a good job at that haha
Old 12-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #24
4Runner Abuser
steezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteezemcqueen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Next up, i went to the 2013 Rock Therapy event in Moab. Truck wheeled awesome and went up pretty much whatever i pointed it at.

Driving through Glenwood Canyon

Arrived in Moab about 10pm in the rain

All the trucks getting ready to run Hells Revenge

Stalking 4-Ripcord

Hells Gate

On Top of the World with Sierra Expeditions and ARB

Yep its straight down like 1000 feet

All the trucks lined up

Oh god i'm blind

Old 12-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #25
4Runner Abuser

After Moab, Holy Cross has been on my list of trails to do for a long time. I got invited by Bob (NYCO), Eric (CoTacoTrd), and Jace (lotsoftoys).

For some reason i didn't think to charge my DSLR battery just used my phone to take video so these pictures are all courtesy of Bob

Near the beginning of the trail

Jace up the 1st obstacle

Eric heating up his tires

Myself

Winching was needed on the 2nd obstacle for most of the group. It was pretty tricky since you had to hug the rock wall on the right and try and turn in as much as possible. The long wheel base of the Tacos made it challenging.

Kinda shows how close you had to hug the wall

Eric with a nice wheel stand

Cameron getting twisted

Getting the Lobster to stretch its legs

The 80 made it look easy

Bob pulling himself up

Next up was French Creek. This is one of the main obstacles on the trail. There are a couple different lines you can take through it but really only one is possible on IFS. The line on the left is really the only option but there is a rock that sticks out and you will eat your quarter panel if you aren't careful.

Jace was the 1st to head up. The quarter panel muncher is the one Cameron is standing on.

Using the slider to pivot around the rock

Cameron was up next

My turn.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #26
4Runner Abuser

Continued...

Of since i am stupid, i had to try the hard line up the middle.

It was just too much without bigger tires and a front locker so i backed off and took the same line as Jace and Cameron.

After the creek we turned around since not everyone was going to make it past.

Coming back down. I attempt to take the left line but i was going to crunch a door for sure so i figured dropping down the middle was safer. Not sure if that ended up being true or not but my doors made it through fine.

On a side note, did you know that a ODL antenna mount will bend about 90 degrees if you catch it on a rock in just the right spot? :lmao:

Photos rarely capture how big some obstacles are.

Thats all for now. I have some videos i will post up and I'll probably steal some more pictures from other people and post them here too

Thanks again guys for the invite and to NYCO for his awesome photo taking abilitys
Old 12-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #28
4Runner Abuser

I picked up a 42 inch double row light bar and wanted to mount it on the roof. I sat it on the roof rack but felt it was too far back. I have plans to build a full length roof rack but i'm impatient and wanted the light bar up there now .

I grabbed some 2x1/8 plate and made up some brackets to mount the bar. After mocking them up, i think a 44 inch bar would be the perfect length for the roof of a 3rd gen but i'll have to make to with a 42 inch

Here is what i came up for the mounts

They aren't perfect as i did them by hand with a angle grinder, welder and mostly just eyeballed it. Do i care? Not even a little bit.

On the truck

They sit behind the weatherstrip and rain gutter and are secured with 2 self tappers per side.

Wiring runs to the passenger side and its grounded to one of the self tappers

Positive wire runs down the rain gutter to the fender where it runs under the hood to the relay. No holes were drilled in the roof to run the wires. Less holes, less chance of a leak.

All done!

Now what everyone wants to see!

Its hard to get an accurate picture of the beam output. This was the best i could do.

Low beam. 55w HID projector retrofit

High beam

High beam and light bar
Old 12-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #29
4Runner Abuser

And this brings us to the most recent update

First off, i got rear ended about 3 weeks ago by a kamikaze Subaru. I was stopped in traffic on the highway and she hit me doing about 30

Her car

And the Lobster

It did end up tweaking the swing out hinge. I was never really happy with how that ended up when i built the bumper so i decided to use this as an excuse to make it better

First i cut out all the old hinge and made the mounts for the heims much taller.

I also added another tube on the swingout and moved the heims further apart so there would be less leverage on them. All the mounts are now made from 1/4 instead of the 3/16's i used before.

During the rebuild, the weather hadn't made it much above the single digits so progess has pretty much stopped for a couple weeks. This past weekend i finished it for the most part

All done (ish)

Since i'm never actually finished with any project i do, i will eventually make the other side match and devise the hold open pin. But since i am a lazy person, i have convinced myself that it works better than it did and i'm happy with it for now

In other news, I picked up a pair of spot fog lights to replace the floods in the bumper that really don't project light far enough to do much.

And i upgraded the rear shocks to some ICON VS 2.0 resi's

They are the 05+ Tacoma shocks which are the perfect length for my setup. I did have ICON custom valve them for my 4Runner and the extra weight i have. They ride freaking AWESOME.

Thats pretty much it until i break something again or decide to take a torch to the IFS
Old 12-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #31
4Runner Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
best sticker yet.

i actually think I want one, much more classy than the jeep roll me over

Haha yeah it's one of my favorites. I think I have another one already made. Pm me your address and I'll throw it in the mail
Old 12-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #32
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steezemcqueen View Post
Haha yeah it's one of my favorites. I think I have another one already made. Pm me your address and I'll throw it in the mail
I would love you forever...its probably not even worth it to send the 49 cents or whatever for a letter to shit.

how about if i give you some beers and a pepe touch in moab
Old 12-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #33
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bloodshart
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Great rig and nice pics!
Old 12-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #34
4Runner Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
I would love you forever...its probably not even worth it to send the 49 cents or whatever for a letter to shit.

how about if i give you some beers and a pepe touch in moab
Just the beers por favor
Old 02-12-2014, 07:00 AM   #37
Bash Fabriction & Off-Road
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
01Tac0ma's Tacoma Gallery
That is all...
Cannot wait to throw the taco box in my rig & 35's! Sounds like I should be ok for now anyway, im tired of seeing this axle on the floor of the shop and a perfectly good plasma beside it
Old 02-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #38
4Runner Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Tac0ma View Post
That is all...
Cannot wait to throw the taco box in my rig & 35's! Sounds like I should be ok for now anyway, im tired of seeing this axle on the floor of the shop and a perfectly good plasma beside it

Thanks man! She does alright. Should be getting a power upgrade here soon
Old 02-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #40
4Runner Abuser

Different boosting method