4Running Daily's 96 4Runner Build

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 4Runner Builds

Notices

Wesrunner's 3rd gen build!

Old 05-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
Team 4Runner
wesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wes
wesrunner's Tacoma Gallery
Wesrunner's 3rd gen build!

June 7th 2014

Well I finally got tired of my old 2WD Tacoma, and decided it was time for an upgrade.
I wanted a 4Runner because the pickup bed wasn't gonna cut it with the 6 hour drives from college to home. Plus this thing makes camping a breeze. I had to drive 2 hours to Tyler Texas to get it but I think I made a pretty smart buy. It's a 1999 V6 4WD with just under 200k. I got it from a guy who works at the dealership in Longview TX. The truck was a trade in and he ended up buying it from the dealer. It's very clean for having almost 200k miles. It runs extremely well, and I'm expecting many more miles of enjoyment out of this thing.

Filling it up on the way home for the first time in Shreveport, LA.

I'll get some more pictures up when I have time to take them. Finals coming up and all.

That's all I got so far. I'll try to keep this one a little better updated and organized than my old build. Anyway... Thanks for stopping by!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
I'll always have a place in my heart for 3rd gen 4Runners

I'm also a bit jealous of your J shifter with no push button!

Congrats and looking forward to your build!
Old 05-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
jbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
Old 05-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
Team 4Runner
wesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOly View Post
I'll always have a place in my heart for 3rd gen 4Runners

I'm also a bit jealous of your J shifter with no push button!

Congrats and looking forward to your build!
Thanks man! I was exited about the shifter. More fun than the push button.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
Team 4Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmccul View Post
patience.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
Team 4Runner

Today I inspected and tightened all my drive belts. Figured I'd snap a pic of the for now clean engine bay. Yes that's my finger.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
Team 4Runner

Deck plate should happen some time.next week.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
Team 4Runner

Haha. Sooo. I've been having so much fun with my 4 wheel drive, I forgot I made this thread.

So far, the mod list includes:
Deck Plate
Removed Running boards
Daystar 2.5" spacer lift
Rigid Duallies
LED swapped gauge and dome lights
Added a shackle receiver hitch
Andres devil horns
B&M 70268 Trans cooler (Love it)
285/75r16 Wrangler MTRs on graphite painted 16's
Bedlined fender trim
Custom dent mods
Sway bar removal

I'll try to get some pics up of all the mods tomorrow.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:08 PM   #9
jbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #10
Team 4Runner

Old 04-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #11
Team 4Runner

no pics of them mounted yet...
Old 05-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #12
Team 4Runner

Finally got them on! Thanks 318yota for letting me use those spacers!
Old 05-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #13
beach bum
Nicko is a splendid one to beholdNicko is a splendid one to beholdNicko is a splendid one to beholdNicko is a splendid one to beholdNicko is a splendid one to beholdNicko is a splendid one to behold

Name: Nicolas
Nicko's Tacoma Gallery
my brother in law has a 1996 4runner that just hit 400k miles and still
running strong.

I recently had to trade in my Tacoma for a bigger family car.
but I definitely plan on picking up a 3rd gen 4runner next
Old 05-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #14
Team 4Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
my brother in law has a 1996 4runner that just hit 400k miles and still
running strong.

I recently had to trade in my Tacoma for a bigger family car.
but I definitely plan on picking up a 3rd gen 4runner next
Yeh im at 210k right now. Hopefully i can get to 400k. then ill do an engine swap and try for another 400. haha.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:35 PM   #15
beach bum
Nicko is a splendid one to beholdNicko is a splendid one to beholdNicko is a splendid one to beholdNicko is a splendid one to beholdNicko is a splendid one to beholdNicko is a splendid one to behold

Nicko's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesrunner View Post
Yeh im at 210k right now. Hopefully i can get to 400k. then ill do an engine swap and try for another 400. haha.
yea if it is well maintained like you said, it will get to 400k without a
problem just stay on top of those services
Old 05-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #16
beach bum

Nicko's Tacoma Gallery
question your 4runner 4wd system isn't locking hubs??

so when you engage the 4wd you only have to shift
no need to lock the hubs
Old 05-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #17
Team 4Runner

Yeh 3rd gen 4runners and some 1st gen tacomas have Toyotas ADD (automatic differential disconnect) system. Some have swapped to manual hubs so it is doable, but I just shift into h4 and its good to go.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #18

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
Looks awesome! No ore getting stuck on dirt hills with those tires!
Old 05-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #19
Team 4Runner

thanks!
Old 05-16-2014, 02:08 PM   #20
Team 4Runner