4Running Daily's 96 4Runner Build

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 4Runner Builds

Notices

97 4Runner

Old 06-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Happy Camper
SamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SamSter0077's Tacoma Gallery
97 4Runner

Bought a 97 4Runner, started this build thread to keep track of what I do/have done. Below is a list of what I intend to do..

And Trans Cooler - DONE
Take off Running boards - DONE
Sliders -
Rear Locker - DONE
CB -
Tires -
Lift -
Front Bumper -
Rear Bumper -

Day One, drove it to the local beach. Wanted to see if 4wd worked, and if it would overheat. No problems at all..

Having the running board was kind of cool for my 5 year old who has been climbing the Door panel in my Tacoma to get in since I lifted it. Didn't really like the look of them, so.. I took them off. Looks much better in my opinion.

Next - I read a lot of posts from higher mileage 4Runners where the Trans Cooler (integrated into the factory radiator) was springing a leak and allowing Water from the radiator to get in the transmission and ruin it. So, I added a transmission cooler.. very easy except, I slid under the truck and cut my knee open with the freaking License plate. Ouch! Ok, I have now bled for this thing.. so soon? Never realized how much old ATF and Blood look alike until I saw them side by side..

Now for the fun stuff.. No factory Diff Lock... You definitely need one for those hairy mall parking lots..

How many guys can you fit under a 4runner?

See anything interesting in this picture of YotaRob?

that's Right! He got Iced!!!

OK.. time to take it to the Shop.. more pics later.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
You're my boy blue
Blue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Dylan
Blue's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
cool as ice! what you going to do for your cb? you can use that Cobra 75 since it's removable. you just need another junction box and you can swap it from your truck to the runner....
Old 06-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Bros Icing Bros?
Old 06-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
Happy Camper
SamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerla View Post
cool as ice! what you going to do for your cb? you can use that Cobra 75 since it's removable. you just need another junction box and you can swap it from your truck to the runner....
Nah, probably gonna squeze that old Radio Shack model in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew02a View Post
Bros Icing Bros?
Fo Show!
Old 06-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #8
Kiss My IFS
yotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotarob2005 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
yotarob2005's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Bros Icing Bros?
Pretty fucked up isn't it? I am the only person actually working on the truck & these guys "ice me". I think they just wanted to post a nice pic of my ass.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:35 AM   #9
If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.
blackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
blackwatertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Nice sammy! hey now your a pro you want to install a locker on my changadetha...? thats spanish for pos
Old 06-13-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwatertaco View Post
Nice sammy! hey now your a pro you want to install a locker on my changadetha...? thats spanish for pos
Sure, it wasn't too bad.. Just invite Todd!

Seriously, apparently there are a lot of variations on the 3rd members. Mine was Super easy! Which Locker are you buying? I am shocked yours doesn't already have one!??
Old 06-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #11
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathollo View Post
Ill email you those pics tom or the following day. Nice build so far!
So...when do you plan on hitting a deer with the 4runner?
Cool, will watch for them! The Drive back to Houston was pretty easy.. it made some noises by nothing that woke the kids..

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
Nice build start Sam. I really like those 97's

As for the Icing.. that was funny!!
Thanks Sean, I love this damn truck. My Transfer case is still leaking BTW, and after reading a bunch of posts on YodaTech, the "ball-Cup" seal on the transfer case shifter just goes to shit after a while, makes the tranny leak when ever you are driving longer distances from the top. Might need to buy a heavy duty one from Marlin Crawler once I figure out which color..
Old 06-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #12
If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.
blackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
blackwatertaco's Tacoma Gallery
I guess the lunchbox locker lockrite?
Old 06-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #14
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotarob2005 View Post
mildly entertaining at best
Pretty funny, but only because we made fun of how gay it was last week.

I can only assume from the absence of an action shot that you didn't actually drink it?
Old 06-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #15
Happy Camper

Quote:
Pretty funny, but only because we made fun of how gay it was last week.

I can only assume from the absence of an action shot that you didn't actually drink it?
Are you kidding.. Rob Loves them!
Old 06-13-2010, 10:52 PM   #16
MurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Air Traffic Control
Name: I HATE SPICYTACOS
MurphyZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSter0077 View Post
Are you kidding.. Rob Loves them!
they are tasty, but you have to drink about 18 to get a buzz and at least 30 to get wasted. those things are like 5 bucks for 4 of them, so, my wife drinks them and i sip SoCo whiskey and sams cola.

EDIT: Nice rig, what kind of locker? spartan, lockrite,...
Old 06-14-2010, 04:38 AM   #17
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyZ View Post
they are tasty, but you have to drink about 18 to get a buzz and at least 30 to get wasted. those things are like 5 bucks for 4 of them, so, my wife drinks them and i sip SoCo whiskey and sams cola.

EDIT: Nice rig, what kind of locker? spartan, lockrite,...
Hey Murphy! Watch out for the Black Sand..

LR1620, LockRight.. It was the only one available for the my Diff. When are you coming back again?
Old 06-14-2010, 04:47 AM   #18
MurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Air Traffic Control
Name: I HATE SPICYTACOS
MurphyZ's Tacoma Gallery
september 1stish. nice i can get the LR or one other one too, i forgot the name. how is it on the road? I would like to keep the daily driver status for awhile on my runner, til it is OR ready.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:51 AM   #19
rjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Riley
rjclemen's Tacoma Gallery
Told y'all that shit was hilarious but nooooooooooo its gay because they say bro. Gonna have to get some icing pictures up here to explain the awesomeness.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:08 AM   #20
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyZ View Post
september 1stish. nice i can get the LR or one other one too, i forgot the name. how is it on the road? I would like to keep the daily driver status for awhile on my runner, til it is OR ready.
Been out of town, haven't been driving it lately after install. The one day I did drive it, it was fine for a DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjclemen View Post
Told y'all that shit was hilarious but nooooooooooo its gay because they say bro. Gonna have to get some icing pictures up here to explain the awesomeness.
Oh, it's pretty funny.. but Ice? c'mon, who really drinks that?