SCRunner12's 4Runner Limited

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 4Runners

Notices

Going to check out this 4runner here shortly. What should I look for?

Old 11-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
^^ I no longer have a PreRunner
99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
99PreRunner.'s Tacoma Gallery
Going to check out this 4runner here shortly. What should I look for?

EDIT: THIS IS ANOTHER VEHICLE, I DELETED THE ORIGINAL ONE AND THIS IS NOW THE ONE I'M LOOKING AT

The guy is asking $5k but I have been talking to him and I think if I have $4k in hand and do some good talking, I can get it from him... It has 184,xxx miles.

1998 Toyota 4 Runner SR5 4 wheel drive (Fort Walton Beach)

Date: 2011-11-03, 9:28AM EDT
Reply to: sale-aayfb-2682898703@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Selling a 1998 Toyota 4 Runner SR5. In great condition! 5 speed transmission equipped with 4 wheel drive which works great, 3400 4 cam motor, has a thrust turbo muffler gives it a nice deep tone but not to loud. Equipped with Power windows, locks, mirrors, steering, cruise control, cold A/C, hot heat, new parts include new tires, battery, plugs and wires, air filter, fuel filter. Spare tire is currently on the roof rack but can easily put back underneath if you decide you want to do so. Exterior is in good condition as well as the interior. Ive dont car detailing so i try to take very good care of my vehicles. Truly a safe and reliable vehicle, hate to see it go, just dont need an suv anymore. If you have any questions please feel free to call me at 850-259-6050 anytime. NO emails please.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed99PreRunner. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks, I'm checking it out now
Old 11-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #4

Wow, nice write up my friend. I'll let you know how it goes, might even take a few pics and post when I get back.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #5

It looked pretty good, inside was pretty dirty and a few stains. Didn't take any pictures because my phone died. Needs an alignment, hangs left a little. Motor sounds fine, and all fluids looked good, except power steering was low. It was repainted, he said it was faded and a friend of his painted it for him at his house. Doesn't look too bad. I asked what kind of gas mileage he got and he tried to tell me he got 26-29 MPG, I just started to laugh. Underside looked good. All the windows had matching VIN #s except the windshield didn't have one. The front of the frame looked fine and as far as I can tell, has never been wrecked.

Edit: I also got him to $2,900
Old 11-05-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
Qjake is one of the sharper tools in the shedQjake is one of the sharper tools in the shedQjake is one of the sharper tools in the shedQjake is one of the sharper tools in the shedQjake is one of the sharper tools in the shedQjake is one of the sharper tools in the shedQjake is one of the sharper tools in the shedQjake is one of the sharper tools in the shedQjake is one of the sharper tools in the shedQjake is one of the sharper tools in the shedQjake is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Billy
Qjake's Tacoma Gallery
2900 dont sound to bad, 138k miles is just getting broken in
how does it ride & run? Tranny shifts ok? any body rot, frame rust, tires good? get some pics! overall it dont sound to bad to me, id beat him up on the price as much as possible if you're serious offer him 2500 see how it goes

good luck

is that it in your OP??
Old 11-05-2011, 09:57 PM   #7
haddix will become famous soon enoughhaddix will become famous soon enough

haddix's Tacoma Gallery
2900 is a steal for that 4runner imo.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #8

Yea that's it in my OP, overall everything looks pretty good. The problems that I noticed was he said the trans was worked on last year because the reverse gear went out (it did shift fine tho, and had no lack of power). He had 245s on the front and 265s on the rear, said he got them pretty cheap. It does need an alignment, pulls a little left (maybe that's why he needed new tires?
Old 11-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #10

I have my 5100/Eibach set up I took off my wrecked truck and my rear 5125's. All I would need is rear coils for a complete lift (plus buy adapter for my 5125's). I have my eye on a set of 285/75/16 BFG ATs for $300, not sure yet tho.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #11
Dangerous
ronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ron
ronman737's Tacoma Gallery
I bought my old 96 2wd sr5 4runner in 07 for 3500 with 132k. Buy that shit. It will probably need a starter, battery, timing belt water pump, or a fuelpump. Those are the only things i have ever seen go wrong with those early 3rd gen 4runners that have been taken care of. timing belt is just smart to change. I did mine at 175k.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #13
Banned
jjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jesse
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
the small tires in the front threw me off for a bit
Old 11-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #14
Dangerous
ronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedronman737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredstud View Post
the small tires in the front threw me off for a bit
Old 11-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #15
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Nice shock mount Jim
Old 11-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #16
Banned
jjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jesse
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronman737 View Post
Look at the pics and what the OP said about the tires in the front are 245's and the rears are 265's. I was gonna say somethin looked off but the OP answered that
Old 11-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripcord View Post
for 2900, what more could you ask for.

Im not sure what the limit of your budget is, but I would hold out for one with decent maintenance records.
Yea my budget is pretty low. I have a little over $2k and my mom and dad are going to loan me about $1k, then pay them back as soon as I sell my truck. I'm going to try and take it to a mechanic and see what he thinks. I'm not 100% buying it, I'm looking everyday for a vehicle. I can hold off and save some more money but being in college and being without a truck since Oct. 4 sucks
Old 11-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripcord View Post
I have tacoma 5125 on my 4runner too. I bought them with the adapter but later chopped the adapter up and made a custom mount. I did it becuase I found the adapter made some clunking noise..

That's what I plan on doing if I do end up with a 4runner, I've checked out your build a bunch
Old 11-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #20
Dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredstud View Post
Look at the pics and what the OP said about the tires in the front are 245's and the rears are 265's. I was gonna say somethin looked off but the OP answered that
Sorry didnt read all the way through. Thats probably where the pull is coming from. Bet the seller is a foreigner or a good ol' boy. In that case I may stay away from the truck. Look under the hood and make sure that the front quarterpanels have a toyota sticker on them. If they do then your draw probably is from the stupid tire mismatch.