1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension swap???

Discussion in '4Runners' started by Pacman 4Runner, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Nov 20, 2011 at 7:59 PM
    Pacman 4Runner

Pacman 4Runner [OP] Q RUNNER

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ft Irwin
    Vehicle:
    90 V-6 4runner 4x4
    3in lift, 33's
    My buddy and I swapped his stock leaf springs out of his 09 Taco for new beafier All Pro leafs...

I have been throwing around the idea of cutting out the rear coil mounts and bracketry on my 90 4runner and making the shackles and fabing all the brackets and anything else I need to put his old leafs on the rear but I don't know if they can handle the weight of the 4runner and/or give me the flex I want...

Any input, comments or ideas or this plan or a better setup would be greatly appreciated =) Thanks

...The reason for this idea is my limited budget haha...

2. Nov 21, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    I am not saying it cannot be done. But I question the real dollar savings. The grade steel you would need for the parts fabrications is not cheap. I expect you would have almost as much money in steel as you would in new coil springs. I did a quick check and found a set(2) of coil springs for your 4runner for $90. By the time you figure in your expendable material costs, Welding rod, saw blades, I am not certain you would save anything in going that way.

3. Nov 21, 2011 at 11:49 AM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    I wouldn't bother with swapping in stock tacoma leafs

If you want leafs that flex go with the 63" chevy's or run a late 80's early 90's F150 spring backwards

4. Nov 24, 2011 at 10:06 AM
    Pacman 4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ft Irwin
    Vehicle:
    90 V-6 4runner 4x4
    3in lift, 33's
    Yeah normally I would say there would be a lot of overhead doing it this way but I work in a fabrication shop and have been given the go-ahead to use any scrap metal we have for "practice" i.e...small projects.....so my overhead is almost nonexistent =)

The reason for wanting the rear leafs is because I want to do a SAS in the front and this way I will have leafs all the way around.....equal flex....Thanks for the input, you seem to have a good grip on what you're talking about and would appreciate any more input or better ideas =)

5. Nov 24, 2011 at 10:08 AM
    Pacman 4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ft Irwin
    Vehicle:
    90 V-6 4runner 4x4
    3in lift, 33's
    Good call on the other leafs I was asking about the tacoma leafs because I have a set in my garage so I wouldn't have to go looking for any if yall thought they may be good to use...but your idea on the other leafs would definitely work out better....Thanks again

Products Discussed in

To Top