Suspension swap???

Old 11-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
Q RUNNER
Pacman 4Runner is on a distinguished road

Army: 11th Armored Calvary Regiment/S&R Shop
Name: Paul
Pacman 4Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Suspension swap???

My buddy and I swapped his stock leaf springs out of his 09 Taco for new beafier All Pro leafs...

I have been throwing around the idea of cutting out the rear coil mounts and bracketry on my 90 4runner and making the shackles and fabing all the brackets and anything else I need to put his old leafs on the rear but I don't know if they can handle the weight of the 4runner and/or give me the flex I want...

Any input, comments or ideas or this plan or a better setup would be greatly appreciated =) Thanks

...The reason for this idea is my limited budget haha...
Old 11-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
I am not saying it cannot be done. But I question the real dollar savings. The grade steel you would need for the parts fabrications is not cheap. I expect you would have almost as much money in steel as you would in new coil springs. I did a quick check and found a set(2) of coil springs for your 4runner for $90. By the time you figure in your expendable material costs, Welding rod, saw blades, I am not certain you would save anything in going that way.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't bother with swapping in stock tacoma leafs

If you want leafs that flex go with the 63" chevy's or run a late 80's early 90's F150 spring backwards
Old 11-24-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
Q RUNNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
I am not saying it cannot be done. But I question the real dollar savings. The grade steel you would need for the parts fabrications is not cheap. I expect you would have almost as much money in steel as you would in new coil springs. I did a quick check and found a set(2) of coil springs for your 4runner for $90. By the time you figure in your expendable material costs, Welding rod, saw blades, I am not certain you would save anything in going that way.
Yeah normally I would say there would be a lot of overhead doing it this way but I work in a fabrication shop and have been given the go-ahead to use any scrap metal we have for "practice" i.e...small projects.....so my overhead is almost nonexistent =)

The reason for wanting the rear leafs is because I want to do a SAS in the front and this way I will have leafs all the way around.....equal flex....Thanks for the input, you seem to have a good grip on what you're talking about and would appreciate any more input or better ideas =)
Old 11-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #5
Q RUNNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins6speed View Post
I wouldn't bother with swapping in stock tacoma leafs

If you want leafs that flex go with the 63" chevy's or run a late 80's early 90's F150 spring backwards
Good call on the other leafs I was asking about the tacoma leafs because I have a set in my garage so I wouldn't have to go looking for any if yall thought they may be good to use...but your idea on the other leafs would definitely work out better....Thanks again