SCRunner12's 4Runner Limited

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 4Runners

Notices

HID'S for a 4runner

Old 11-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
Nick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Nick Sells's Tacoma Gallery
HID'S for a 4runner

I'm thinking about picking these up the seem decent but I don't know much about HID'S. Anybody have any inputs/recommendations?
http://www.hidheadlightkit.com/TOYOTA-HID-Kit/4_Runner/
Old 11-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
DDM or Slimcubby.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
DDM tuning sucks. Their products work...if you are lucky, and their customer service is terrible. Not to mention plug and play HID kits bring the suck and blind fellow drivers. Go with a projector retrofit
Old 11-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #5
Nick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins6speed View Post
DDM tuning sucks. Their products work...if you are lucky, and their customer service is terrible. Not to mention plug and play HID kits bring the suck and blind fellow drivers. Go with a projector retrofit
What are those exactally?
Old 11-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Sells View Post
I'm thinking about picking these up the seem decent but I don't know much about HID'S. Anybody have any inputs/recommendations?
http://www.hidheadlightkit.com/TOYOTA-HID-Kit/4_Runner/
Ddm tuning is great. I've had my set for a year with zero issues.

What year 4runner are you putting these in? If its a 06-08 it already has projectors and you wouldn't need to do a retrofit kit.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #7

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonTacoma View Post

What year 4runner are you putting these in? If its a 06-08 it already has projectors and you wouldn't need to do a retrofit kit.
I have a 2011 Trail Edition.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #8
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
What are those exactally?
The real way to have HID's. The correct way to have HID's

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...-matt-trs.html
Old 11-21-2011, 06:50 PM   #9

Quote:

The 06-08 factory projectors also have terrible output with HID's in them
Old 11-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #10
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I have a 2011 Trail Edition.
Oh ok. Just go to ddmtuning.com and check out their website. I know there are lots of threads on here saying they suck and stuff but I've also read plenty of positive comments too.

If you want to do the hid conversion properly you should do a projector retrofit so that your hid's don't blind people. Just search for retrofit and I'm sure plenty of threads will come up.

I don't have a retrofit and my lights seem to be ok cause I never get flashed (that's not to say they aren't too bright). I'm just to lazy to do a retrofit.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #11

Quote:
The 06-08 factory projectors also have terrible output with HID's in them
I've wondered how they would look. Never seen any pics though. Been trying to convince my wife to let me HID her 4runner but she doesnt like me messing with her ride like I do to mine.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #12

Quote:
I've wondered how they would look. Never seen any pics though. Been trying to convince my wife to let me HID her 4runner but she doesnt like me messing with her ride like I do to mine.
I have seen some pictures, I will try to find them again but the retro quick system from TRS for the 4runner is awesome. We used one on my buddies 06 and it was very pain free. Unbolt the factory projector, bolt the new projector and adapter in its place and you are good to go
Old 11-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #13

Quote:
So from what I understand they help to project the light of your HID'S further?
Yes and they keep the light pattern on the road in front of your truck on the ground and not to the sky.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #14

Quote:
I have seen some pictures, I will try to find them again but the retro quick system from TRS for the 4runner is awesome. We used one on my buddies 06 and it was very pain free. Unbolt the factory projector, bolt the new projector and adapter in its place and you are good to go
Was it cheaper than the retrofit jobs I've seen on here for the Tacomas?
Old 11-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #15

Navy:
Quote:
Yes and they keep the light pattern on the road in front of your truck on the ground and not to the sky.
Thanks I really didn't get what they were at first I thought you were just supposed to use them on the stock bulbs or something. I'll look into them I'm already having trouble with the old lady because I just ordered an ARB snatch strap and recovery hitch then I came home today wanting HID'S HAHA.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #16

Projectors are specifically designed for HID's. The factory lights are halogen. Halogen bulbs create light by heating a filament whereas HID bulbs create an arc between two electrodes creating a completely different light output. Projector reflectors are designed for this to concentrate the light where it needs to be rather than causing glare
Old 11-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Was it cheaper than the retrofit jobs I've seen on here for the Tacomas?
The retro quick system is about the same price
Old 11-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #18

Quote:
The retro quick system is about the same price
Damn. That won't help my case with the wife. Thanks for the info though.