SCRunner12's 4Runner Limited

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 4Runners

Notices

2003 4runner limited

Old 01-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
Galt/Rearden 2012
whatatoy is a jewel in the roughwhatatoy is a jewel in the roughwhatatoy is a jewel in the roughwhatatoy is a jewel in the rough
whatatoy's Tacoma Gallery
2003 4runner limited

Hey guys

On my drive home tonight, I opened the sunroof of my 4runner (2003 limited with the v8) and my wife asked me to close it... so I did - when I closed it, it started whistling crazy (sound seemed like it was coming more from the passenger side)... I opened it up again and it stopped, and tilted up a bit, it also mostly stopped.

What's going on with that? It happened at 70 mph, and was intolerable. Even at 25 - 30, it was still noticeable.

Any help would be great - really can't afford a mechanic at the moment...

Thanks
Old 01-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
Galt/Rearden 2012
whatatoy is a jewel in the roughwhatatoy is a jewel in the roughwhatatoy is a jewel in the roughwhatatoy is a jewel in the rough
anyone help out here??
Old 01-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
Nick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Nick Sells's Tacoma Gallery
If I were you I would ask over on http://www.toyota-4runner.org/ there are generation specific sections, someone would probly have an answer for you there.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
Galt/Rearden 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Sells View Post
If I were you I would ask over on http://www.toyota-4runner.org/ there are generation specific sections, someone would probly have an answer for you there.
I'm asking everywhere - trying to speed up the time it takes to get an answer because it's like having someone with a whistle constantly blowing it in my ear
Old 01-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
Bigmikelakers is on a distinguished road
Bigmikelakers's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah 4th gen sunroofs have some problems. Its a grease/lubrication problem where it dries up (probably explains the noise). I hear its an expensive job to fix. You should head over to the 4runner forum. They're way more knowledgable than me on this issue.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Had that happen with my Nissan Maxima. It ended up being the retractable air deflector not seating right when closed and the air was getting in. I found it was loose and tightened a few screws. No more whistling.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #7
Galt/Rearden 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmikelakers View Post
Yeah 4th gen sunroofs have some problems. Its a grease/lubrication problem where it dries up (probably explains the noise). I hear its an expensive job to fix. You should head over to the 4runner forum. They're way more knowledgable than me on this issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Had that happen with my Nissan Maxima. It ended up being the retractable air deflector not seating right when closed and the air was getting in. I found it was loose and tightened a few screws. No more whistling.
I'll be checking both of these things out - I'm fairly mechanical, so if its only some grease and some screws, I think I can do it...
Old 01-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Keep us posted!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
Galt/Rearden 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Keep us posted!

It fixed itself - I hadn't driven it for a week (my wife drives it 1 mile a day to and from work) and when I got in it again, I had completely forgotten about it - but, on the freeway going 70, I realized, no whistle...

easy come, easy go