Planning For Major Surgery (3.0 to 3.4)

Old 02-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
Q RUNNER
Pacman 4Runner is on a distinguished road

Army: 11th Armored Calvary Regiment/S&R Shop
Name: Paul
Pacman 4Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Planning For Major Surgery (3.0 to 3.4)

I need some suggestions so I can get my ducks in a row before I start this project!

Ok so everyone says that the 3.4 from a late 90's tundra is a viable and fairly easy swap for a 3.0 in my '90 runner.

I need some info on if it will bolt up to my manual trans, if I need to move motor mounts, swap computers and wiring harnesses and time and cost estimates for this endeavor???

It's tax time and there are a lot of local junk yards that I should be able to find a viable engine from and I am fixin to have to dump some $$$ into my 3.0 unless I decide to do the swap so any suggestions and help that you can provide will be very much appreciated!!!
Old 02-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
H Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Heather
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
There is a ton of info here: http://www.yotatech.com/f160/
Old 02-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
Q RUNNER

Thanks a ton Heather...great info =) quite possibly any and all info I could ever need =)

If anyone else is thinking about this swap check out the link that H Bomb gave me and check out Off Road Solutions site...they are out of business but keep their site up for tech info and way they will be selling some of their products through another party =)
Old 02-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
H Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Heather
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
No prob! The Yotatech forum has a ton of info on the 90s rigs. I have been researching the 3.4 swaps a bit. Figure I'll go that route if my 3.0 ever needs more repairs than I want to do. Looks like a lot of work, but seems common enough that there is a lot of info and parts out there.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
Q RUNNER

Yeah apparently Off Road Solutions makes three conversion kits for the swap and they shut down but they are keeping the web site operating for tech and they will post on their site when they are going to have other vendors selling their stuff.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Find something else to drive while doing the swap. I've heard that the wiring is a huge undertaking. There used to be harnesses available, but as noted, the company that made the conversions kits is out of business. Hard to be patient and do things right the first time if you are riding the bus around town.

Good luck and post pics! I keep seeing $800 4runners with blown 3.0s and I wish I had the space and time for this kind of project. Second gen 4runner with actual horsepower under the hood would be AWESOME!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
Q RUNNER

Yeah i'm on the hunt for the supercharged 3.4 out of a T-100 for the project and will be collecting all the parts and accessories that I will need before I even think about removing my 3.0 =)
Old 03-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
peacefrog53 is on a distinguished road
peacefrog53's Tacoma Gallery
I have a brand new 3.4l out of a '97 4runner. Bored to about 3.6l. Brand new everything, and dealer gapped.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
Who needs roads?
Taco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
Taco me elmo's Tacoma Gallery
It would make more sense and be cheaper to just sell your current 4runner and buy a 96+ with a 3.4 in it and all the updated goodies.

I see them all the time for less than $4k