Hit an ELK with my 3rd gen garage queen

Old 06-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
WheelTired is on a distinguished road

WheelTired's Tacoma Gallery
Hit an ELK with my 3rd gen garage queen

now is the time......
Insurance is flipping the bill for a complete rebuild..$6K total

decided to go with an off-road build instead of cashing out

1999 4Runner 5sp / diff loc / 95K miles.
Combination SR5 / Limited / leather loaded

Ordered:
-Outdoor Logic Bumper / Sliders

Thoughts:
- have had complete OME kit on 3rd gen -- Liked
- have had complete sonaoran steeel kit on 3rd gen --didn't like

- Never had coil over / ome rear..might consider this option, but not sure on brand.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
looks like it ate the deer
Old 06-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
McBuckets
RockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Noah
RockyMtnTRD's Tacoma Gallery
good luck man!
Old 06-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #4

Sanoran lift...little to much flex for me, scary on road of you need to stop reasonably fast or swerve around something....mad flex though.

OME Lift; heavy's....nice combination on / off..might go this combination again..reasonable price kit.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
4runner Troll
SCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
SCRunner12's Tacoma Gallery
You'd be fine with the SS if you kept the sway bar on. Otherwise it can get a bit soft. If you end up going with a rear bumper and a lot of weight in the back I'd go with OME 861's. They are tall like a LC coil, but hold the weight a lot better. I'd go with the 882's if you are going with OME and getting a winch in the future. Looks like a great platform for the build.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
can i haz remains of elk?
Old 07-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #7

Slow process...body is back to perfection.
Outdoor Logic bumper and sliders are being mounted up tomorrow.
Toytec Coilovers / OME springs w/bill's shocks later in the week.

Pics soon...I hope !

Elk Burgers on the grill....
Old 07-31-2012, 08:20 PM   #8

Bumper mounted....

Lift / sliders end of week.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #9

Close to complete:
Toytec coil-overs, medium OME springs w/bilstien shocks, outdoor logic bumper / sliders.

To Do:
Kuat Vagabond rooftop basket, more aggressive tires, rims.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
PlayinItSLO is on a distinguished road
PlayinItSLO's Tacoma Gallery
lookin sweet man, how do the toytecs ride?
Old 08-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayinItSLO View Post
lookin sweet man, how do the toytecs ride?

The toytecs are awesome, the are dialed down for a minimal lift though...thing rips the corners like a sports car on the road...extremely happy with the kit they recommended.

Good luck with the 3rd gen build fellas, love these rigs.
5sp w/diff loc FTW !!

I will post pics with new tires ASAP.
thx.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #12

New Rubber:
265/75's, GoodYear Duratrac.

On the way:
CBI off-road rear plate bumper, Winch, 4" driving lights for the Front bumper.

Just an FYI:
Ordered a set of the heavy rear springs, mediums are on the truck now. I have been putting a Hitch moto hauler on it for my Trials motorcycle. With the CBI bumper on the way, hauling a moto....I think the mediums will not hold up at all. Darn, anyone interested in medium OME springs cheap.

Also swapping out the Vagabond roof basket for the NEW Kuat Vagabond X. little beefier looking, more functionality

Done for the winter months.

Geez, my 82 Yota Pickup has larger tires on it.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #13
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good man. I really like that Vagabond X. What did it set you back $ wise?
Old 10-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #14

Thank you- I rarely drive my 2010 FJ CRUISER TRAIL anymore, also have a 2010 4runner trail that is setting. Love my 3rd gen 4runner. I'll post a pic of all together.

I'm a Kuat dealer.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #15

Finished the trucks modifications. My daughter is now driving it on weekends and back to college....her first words were, why do all these guy's give me the thumbs up while driving this car.

Might add black wheels in the future.

CBI 3rd gen rear bumper. Fit and finish is awesome.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #16
instagram: ATC510
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Alex
sytfu510's Tacoma Gallery
looking good.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #17
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
The more I look into CBI's plate bumpers the more I think I'll go plate rather than tube . . . That is a clean Runner and 82. So sad they can't all get driven daily, I can help ya out if you need that 82 ran around the block
Old 12-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #18

Thanks man......
Well, my daughter has confiscated the truck for the winter (parked her sports car)...If you see her rolling around Boulder Co. give her a bit of crap for steeling my T4R, not too much crap though, she might kick your ass......

So......I can't be without a 3rd gen Long.

Starting the process all over again.
2000 4Runner SR5 5sp Locked garage queen black.

Toytec, OME Bills, CBI hybrid Rear, Shrockworks front (waiting this time), outdoorLogic sliders, grafted Hood Scoop (have this on my supratruck)