To get a Trail or not

Discussion in '4Runners' started by Williejoebob, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Jun 13, 2012 at 9:04 PM
    Williejoebob

Williejoebob [OP] Member

Member:
    Port Hudson, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma Offroad
    Considering buying a 4Runner soon (when the 2013's come out). Won't really be doing a lot of offroading (maybe 10-20% if i'm lucky) but would like all the tools Trail seems to have for the times that I do. Thing is, most of the time, vehicle will be driven by my wife, on road, and i'm wondering about the basic comfort level vs. other 4Runner models. Or, Trail's comfort level in general. Have not been able to see one so don't know how Spartan they really are. Appreciate any input. Williejoebob

2. Jun 14, 2012 at 9:14 AM
    Williejoebob

Williejoebob [OP] Member

Member:
    Port Hudson, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma Offroad
    Follow-up----would appreciate hearing from anyone relatively near me geographically that has a Trail Edition that I could go see. I am located about 20 miles north of Baton Rouge, LA. Thanks.

Williejoebob

3. Jun 14, 2012 at 9:19 AM
    Oowen

Oowen Goes through trucks faster then underwear

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Elko, NV
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB
    Garage Queen
    the trail inside is comfortable power adjustable seats in the front. Reclining seats in the rear. All the doodads make it really sweet offroad except for a really firm ride. When I went to check one out the salesman told me with KDSS that I could drive down a wasboarded road with out getting vibrated off. In my opinion do it! :cool:

4. Jun 14, 2012 at 9:22 AM
    Sje1124

Sje1124 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 DBL Cab TRD OR 4x4
    Just a few
    Hey man welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone on here has one that can give you an idea about the comfort level.

5. Jun 14, 2012 at 9:34 AM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    Welcome

6. Jun 14, 2012 at 12:38 PM
    Casper421

Casper421 Big taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    In the woods
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra
    A little here and there
    I have the older generation but drove a 10' TE during a service and found the inside to be cramped and uncomfortable(im 6'2"). The 4.0 was a little underpowered with the extra weight of the 5th gens but it would suffice. It sounds like you would benefit more from an SR5 or Limited. Those two offer more options and will handle anything offroad that you mentioned above. Im not sure how well the selectable terrain and the CRAWL feature works on the TE's. Theyre great ideas but not sure how successful they are. The only thing that appeals to me with the TE is the rear locker but id rather put in an ARB anywase.

Im gonna reccommend that you ask the 5th gen guys over on T4R.org, . They are very knowledgable.

7. Jun 15, 2012 at 7:55 AM
    Williejoebob

Williejoebob [OP] Member

Member:
    Port Hudson, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma Offroad
    Thanks very much for the feedback. I really appreciate the input and will also check with the 5th gen guys.

Williejoebob

8. Aug 4, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    HKRunner

HKRunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4Runner
    CRAWL control and multi terrain select are trickle downs from the Land Cruisers. Ill be honest i rarely use my CRAWL control but the multi terrain select is the shit on the beach lol. Without airing down, i just slap it in 4H and set the dial to "Mud, Sand, Dirt" and have yet to be disappointed.

9. Aug 5, 2012 at 8:48 AM
    Williejoebob

Williejoebob [OP] Member

Member:
    Port Hudson, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma Offroad
    HKRunner: Thanks for the input. I finally got to drive a Trail when i was visiting relatives in the Atlanta area. (I haven't been able to find a trail anywhere in my state, or even close.) Atlanta dealer had 2, one with KDSS and one without. Want KDSS if i get a Trail but drove the other one first. Drove fine. Then took out the KDSS-equipped model and the steering wheel shook a great deal so couldn't get a good feel for how it would ride "normally." Also, wife felt like the seats were uncomfortable-----so, looks like probably SR5 or limited.

10. Aug 6, 2012 at 5:27 AM
    HKRunner

HKRunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4Runner
    The KDSS provides a very flat, nuetral handling suv on rode. I too was torn between a limited and a trail. My wife last vehicle was a '10 highlander limited 4wd and i loved all the creature comforts - heated seats, smart key, three zone climate control etc. but at the same time i hated cleaning the interior after GA winters.

I love the rugged spartan interior of the Trail. I have factory NAV and KDSS and find the JBL stereo to be satisfying. It wont win in quality competitions but i do plan on upgrading to the Kappa highs for only $50.

Im from the Augusta area, but live in Tampa. I had to drive to SC to find my trail. I can PM you my the contact info. It was actually a Lexus dealer and they had several Trail and Limiteds.

Products Discussed in

To Top