SCRunner12's 4Runner Limited

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 4Runners

Notices

3.0 v6 has no power!!! Need ideas!!

Old 09-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
3.0 v6 has no power!!! Need ideas!!

So my dad and I have been working on my sisters 1993 T4R for about 6 months now (well, when we have time anyway). The auto transmission went bad (pretty sure she over heated it) and it's been in the garage ever since. We bought a used trans/transfer case and had the engine rebuilt. We thought that the engine having no power caused the trans to run in too high of a gear and caused it to overheat, thus killing the transmission. It has always had low acceleration and zero ability to pass on the freeway. Today we finally got everything back together. Well, it still has no acceleration. Even on flat ground. It has new plugs, wires, cap & rotor. The timing is set 10 before TDC. We had a new timing belt, water pump & thermostat put on as well during the engine rebuild.

We've been thinking that the cat might be plugged and are going to pull that off tomorrow and see if it makes any difference. Anyone have any other ideas on what else could cause the engine to have no power?
Old 09-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Anyone?
Old 09-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
shit happens then you die
jobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Josh
jobrien's Tacoma Gallery
3.slow brother not much power to begin with if you were to regear youd be happier
Old 09-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
3.slow just doesnt have power
Old 09-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobrien View Post
3.slow brother not much power to begin with if you were to regear youd be happier
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmathis View Post
3.slow just doesnt have power
I was hoping that wouldn't be the only answer. We thought with a rebuild it might get better. Sadly my dads turbo 22re 87 pickup (recently rebuilt also) has way more get up and go than the 3.0.

Oh well....
Old 12-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Four Wheel Drive With Room For Five!
Order66 has much to be proud ofOrder66 has much to be proud ofOrder66 has much to be proud ofOrder66 has much to be proud ofOrder66 has much to be proud ofOrder66 has much to be proud ofOrder66 has much to be proud ofOrder66 has much to be proud ofOrder66 has much to be proud of

Name: Nick
Order66's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 3.0 in my 88 and has some power. Need to get the oil pump replaced. But I've talked to a few people who have rebuilt the 3.0 (I assume you have the 3VZ-E engine) and said it wasn't worth the money. Something about the blueprinting of the engine not right. They told me (cause I'm planning on rebuilding mine) that it's better to just swap it out with a 3.4. I have found a turbo for like $200 on eBay new. Hope this helps, but from what I've gathered from other people you are going to invest some money into the 3.0 just to get some power.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
Tommychu is on a distinguished road
Tommychu's Tacoma Gallery
Power to weight ratio on a 3VZ Runner is about 25lb/hp from the factory, assuming a perfect engine and nothing in the vehicle. So yes, it's just supposed to be that slow. Regear is a good idea but if she does a lot of highway driving I wouldn't bother.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
3.slow plus auto trans isnt helping the case. 5VZ-FE swap will cure the no power problem. How many miles since the rebuild?
Old 12-20-2012, 11:53 PM   #9
Tommychu is on a distinguished road
Tommychu's Tacoma Gallery
There is another solution...
Old 12-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommychu View Post
Power to weight ratio on a 3VZ Runner is about 25lb/hp from the factory, assuming a perfect engine and nothing in the vehicle. So yes, it's just supposed to be that slow. Regear is a good idea but if she does a lot of highway driving I wouldn't bother.
I think we are just going to leave it as is. Right now it's running great & the gas mileage keeps getting better as the new engine breaks in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck92 View Post
3.slow plus auto trans isnt helping the case. 5VZ-FE swap will cure the no power problem. How many miles since the rebuild?
3.slow is what I keep hearing. I'm just used to the 4.0 and that's definitely not a fair comparison. We are up to about 2,000 miles since the rebuild and it's been doing great. No leaks and the trans doesn't hunt for the right gear like it used to. So at this point we are very happy with the truck and plan on keeping it until the wheels fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommychu View Post
True, but this is a DD, not very logical or cost effective. IMO
Old 12-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
Do the 3.4 swap. Pretty much the most bullet proof drive train ever.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDJY View Post
Do the 3.4 swap. Pretty much the most bullet proof drive train ever.
It's a little to late for that now........