Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 4Runners

Notices

New Guy, New 4Runner, mild build advice please

Old 10-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
Cameronswmp9 is on a distinguished road
Name: Cameron
Cameronswmp9's Tacoma Gallery
New Guy, New 4Runner, mild build advice please

Just got this on Sunday, 2002 4x4 SR5, with the 3.4. 118K on the clock. Bought it from Carmax so I know they went through it well, new valve cover gaskets, tires, and little odds and ends. Auto, in great shape. I do have one of the tires that keeps going flat, have a new valve stem but its still going low, going to a shop to get a better look at it (I think its a small nail/tack that I just cant see, but its no biggy to me really, I love this truck!)

I do want to do a few things to make it mine. Some tint, a small stereo system (I have subs and an amp sitting here, I need to put them to use!) small lift to clear a 285/70R17. This is a family ride, so I dont want to go too big, but I think going up to the 285 will give me the look I want and still work great with the family. So I am looking at a 2 inch increase in tire size, so maybe a 2-3 inch lift, really just enough to clear. Does that sound right? I am thinking of putting on some Ultra Bolts in the 17 inch flavor, with a Firestone Destination AT, at least thats the plan for now. It has new tires on it now, and I didnt have to pay for them, so I am going to run them down lol.

I do want to, before I get into the bigger modifications, do a tune up with new plugs, wires, probably some seafoam or something like that, just to make sure all is good and can get the best fuel economy I can, I know its not a Prius or anything, but a little help at the pumps never hurts.

About me, since this is kinda an intro post deal, I am 26, recently married with 2 awesome stepsons, age 10 and almost 8. We are into boating, hockey (hopefully we can get some hockey this year.....) baseball, and all kinds of things really. I have been into cars my whole life, even built a crawler a few years ago before I sold it for my boat. Had all kinds of trucks, recently sold my Cummins dually for this, and this is a little change of pace sizewise comparably. I have worked in a shop for 7 years, and now into a parts store so still working with cars, just not on them except as a hobby.

Thanks for the advice, and I am wanting to get cracking on building this thing!!
Old 10-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
Cameronswmp9 is on a distinguished road
Name: Cameron
Cameronswmp9's Tacoma Gallery
The Ultra Bolts, undecided on the setup colorwise. I know I have some time, but I like to get the whole shopping list set up and ready.

My options are as follows:

or

They make them in all black, but I do want a little contrast in there with the polish look. Whatcha think TW?

Also, what is the consensus on the size of lift for the tires? They come out to be a true 32, so maybe a lift for a 33x12.50ish? Does that sound about right??

Thanks TW!!
Old 10-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
t4r.org may be a better resource for 4runner things....
Old 10-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I'll play. A 3"'lift you will be able to fit 285s with some trimming, possibly body mount chop required, which are just under 33, not a 32. As far as which lift, depends on your budget. OME offers an affordable lift, but rides a bit rough (I have been running this for 3 year and Wilbur upgrading soon), Fox, King, Icon are top tier, and Billstein is somewhere in the middle depending on which model.

265s are a 31.8 and will get better mileage, thatis what i am currently running, the Hankook RF10s are a great tire for wear, toughness, on and off road performance, and great in the snow. So, keep the questions coming, t4r is a good site, but has quite a few people asking the same questions over and over, toyota120 is an awesome 4R site with a focus on offroad performance, lots of knowledgeable guys there.