SCRunner12's 4Runner Limited

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 4Runners

Notices

3.4L Starter R&R = Stupid

Old 01-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
3.4L Starter R&R = Stupid

Did my 1st starter on a 3.4L 4Runner/Taco motor. Quite the little project. Maybe someone can fill me on on the short/cheater way so the next time around...

Ended up taking the P/S CV out.

Wondered if I could have dropped the trans pan (had already taken the tube apart) and gotten it out that way.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
downpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant future
Name: Rob
downpour11's Tacoma Gallery
It sucks. I didn't remove the trans pan, but removed the dipstick and unbolted a couple brake line brackets. Ended up wedging it out through the fenderwell lol. You shouldn't need to remove the CV.

Here's a little writeup that will help if you have to do it again:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...t-3-4-4wd.html

Or just replacing the contacts:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...sy-repair.html
Old 01-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
JWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Waldo
JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
The starter job whether removing or replacing contacts is a pain in the ass job. You practically need 12 year old asian hands and the strength of a 30 year old body builder to complete the job seamlessly. I replaced my starter contacts a while back and pretty much maneuvered it to where I could get it apart still under the hood.. Was a very frustrating job.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:39 AM   #4
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by downpour11 View Post
It sucks. I didn't remove the trans pan, but removed the dipstick and unbolted a couple brake line brackets. Ended up wedging it out through the fenderwell lol. You shouldn't need to remove the CV.
Here's the thing...It was a 4Runner with 250K. Imagine how nice, rusty and fragile the brake lines were/are. Flaring brake lines was not on my list of fun for the evening/day.

The starter bolts were........well the bottom bolt I got with a long extention and wobble 14 socket and an 3/8 impact. That top bolt can suck a fat one.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
downpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant future
Name: Rob
downpour11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
Here's the thing...It was a 4Runner with 250K. Imagine how nice, rusty and fragile the brake lines were/are. Flaring brake lines was not on my list of fun for the evening/day.

The starter bolts were........well the bottom bolt I got with a long extention and wobble 14 socket and an 3/8 impact. That top bolt can suck a fat one.
I replaced mine at 380k miles, but I don't have any rust being a west-coaster lol so that would make sense. Yeah the top bolt is a d-bag.