SCRunner12's 4Runner Limited

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 4Runners

Notices

Battery hookup SNAFU

Old 02-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
FJarhead is on a distinguished road
FJarhead's Tacoma Gallery
Battery hookup SNAFU

Autozone sold me the wrong battery and without realizing it I tried to install it. The poles were backwards and it sparked. Realizing my mistake, I exchanged it for the proper one but after connecting it, all the dash warning lights remain on.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Have a coke and a smile and shut the f#%k up!
hogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
hogeyphenogey's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say start by disconnecting the terminals from the battery and then touching them together. This will discharge the energy from the components of the vehicle. Then reinstall the battery properly and see if the lights remain. This will reset the values in your truck as well, so shift points, gas mileage, etc... Will be erased.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
I'll give that a try. Thanks for you advice! I'll let you know if it works.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
I tried touching the wires together and reinstalling the battery but to no avail. Thanks for your help but I guess its time to take it to the dealership.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
First, I would check all the fuses and fuse wire, if equipped. Fuse locations will be indicated in the owner's manual. I believe you will have better luck having a good auto electric shop troubleshooting the problem than a dealership.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
HMMMMM--let us know what you find.
Leaving the terminals--disconnected for at least 1/2 hour might help==How long did it take to go get the battery?.
Sometimes just disconnecting them for a couple minutes does not satify the amount of time required to do the RESET.
If the lights are coming on--if it is a FUSE--It will be on the NEGATIVE side.
Is there a seperate NEGATIVE FUSE.
That would be my first guess.
I am going to GOOGLE and see if I can find anything.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

What year and engine?
Old 02-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #8

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...-amp-fuse.html
under dash fuse TOO.-120 amp==bet thats it!
Old 02-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #9

guess he got it running!
Old 02-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
Loco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Loco38SUP's Tacoma Gallery
My wife's battery went dead and some guy tried to help her with a jump start. Well the guy hooked up the cables wrong on the 4-runner and blew several of the main fuses in the engine bay. The truck would start but no electrical would work and it wouldn't go when put in gear. Well after a $400 dollar visit to the dealer and a new battery its running again. Some of the main fuses in the engine bay can only be replaced by taking the fuse box apart.

RJM