SCRunner12's 4Runner Limited

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 4Runners

Notices

T4R is down! T4R Check In Here

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #1321
4runner Troll
SCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
SCRunner12's Tacoma Gallery
Bah i just saw the 1st gen 4runner I linked above on a flat bed heading North. Texted the guy and he sold it for $600. What a freaking steal. Damn I would have loved to get that one for so cheap. Tires could have paid for it and suspension and bumper would have gotten me a 3.4. O well.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #1322
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
Hey boys I have a 2002 $runner 6cyl. what would be a good price to pay for timing belt replacement? I just got a quote for $850.00 and had a hard time keeping a straight face but then thought if maybe he wasn't too far off.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:10 PM   #1323
Master Blaster
smkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
smkd13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmpjmpr View Post
Hey boys I have a 2002 $runner 6cyl. what would be a good price to pay for timing belt replacement? I just got a quote for $850.00 and had a hard time keeping a straight face but then thought if maybe he wasn't too far off.
Letting a shop do it yep that sounds like the general ball park honestly. If you have the know how then you can get it done for about 250-300ish area
Old 06-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #1324
Happy Camper
SamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SamSter0077's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Running Daily View Post
Honestly, 1st gens are the way to go. 3rd gens are great for expo rigs and the average trail run, but when you want to beat on something, a nice 3rd gen isn't the way to go...
I resemble that remark!! First Gens are cool as hell on the trail, a little sobering driving around town IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steezemcqueen View Post
I beat on my 3rd gen all day

..its not that nice though
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmpjmpr View Post
I guess if you are going to pay someone, that is normal... it can be a real pain in the a$$... but it's not that hard if you follow directions.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #1325
4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Connor
4Running Daily's Tacoma Gallery
Which one? haha, I love both.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/3869364951.html
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/3832791587.html
Old 06-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #1326
4runner Troll
SCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I love the 1st gens so that usually gets my votes, but that truck is sweet. Plus it already has 35's while the 1st has 30's. Getting rid of the 3rd gen?
Old 06-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #1327
4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRunner12 View Post
I love the 1st gens so that usually gets my votes, but that truck is sweet. Plus it already has 35's while the 1st has 30's. Getting rid of the 3rd gen?
I have no idea. I have 3 options, 2 involve selling the 3rd gen.

1) Keep the 4Runner and continue to build it up
Pros:
-Least amount of work
-Family History
-Blood sweat and tears in it as it sits

Cons:
-Most expensive route to a built truck
-Too nice to beat on
-Not that capable as it sits

2)Sell the 4runner and buy something with a Solid front axle
Pros:
-Most fun
-Most capable
-Less money then building the 3rd gen
-Coolness factor is up there
-Use money left over from 3rd gen sale to spend on maintenance and mods

Cons:
-Not the greatest on road
-Hard to find
-Will need maintenance done after purchase

3) Sell the 4Runner and have my Dad buy me an FR-S
Pros:
-My Budget Dream car
-Coolness factor again
-Reliable
-Fun

Cons:
-Expensive because I'll want to track it
-Needs wheels and tires immediately
-Needs more modifications because it's stock
-Turbo kit is at least $5,000
-i won't pay for it myself
Old 06-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #1328
4runner Troll

To be 16 again haha. That's a tough choice but I'd scrap idea #2. SAS rigs are sweet but suck as dd's and I wouldn't keep one just as my DD especially if you're going to college next year. 4runner is the cheapest but I understand it needing work and getting older. Tough call but a new FRS at 16? You're dad either really loves you and trusts you or he's crazy.

Btw, I'll be in your neck of the woods this weekend. PB to be exact.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #1329

Quote:
Btw, I'll be in your neck of the woods this weekend. PB to be exact.
Too bad it's not next weekend, there's a trail run on this sick trail on the 6th.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #1330
downpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant future

Name: Rob
downpour11's Tacoma Gallery
I say build your 3rd gen.... I don't understand the whole "it's too nice to wheel thing" (unless you're like Robert, who uses it as a family vehicle). Or, if you come across a NICE 1st gen... it could be worth it, if you're going to wheel it enough it will justify the on-road manners.

My 3rd gen has been in the family for 17 years too, it was my grandfathers and I used to drive it when I was 11-12. Has sentimental value.

FRS in the future man, give it a couple years. Unless you're rich and can justify blowing a grip of money on it... I dunno, I wouldn't want to have that at 16. It just wouldn't feel right.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by downpour11 View Post
I say build your 3rd gen.... I don't understand the whole "it's too nice to wheel thing" (unless you're like Robert, who uses it as a family vehicle). Or, if you come across a NICE 1st gen... it could be worth it, if you're going to wheel it enough it will justify the on-road manners.

My 3rd gen has been in the family for 17 years too, it was my grandfathers and I used to drive it when I was 11-12. Has sentimental value.

FRS in the future man, give it a couple years. Unless you're rich and can justify blowing a grip of money on it... I dunno, I wouldn't want to have that at 16. It just wouldn't feel right.
I've put $8,000 into that POS in the last 2 years and it still leaves me stranded in a parking lot once a month! What the actual Fuck. Today I replaced my sunroof motor and then I was rewarded with a broken starter. Two top engine rebuilds in 14,000 miles with a combined bill of $4,500. It's a lemon. I just want out. I want to start fresh.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #1332
downpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant future

Quote:
I've put $8,000 into that POS in the last 2 years and it still leaves me stranded in a parking lot once a month! What the actual Fuck. Today I replaced my sunroof motor and then I was rewarded with a broken starter. Two top engine rebuilds in 14,000 miles with a combined bill of $4,500. It's a lemon. I just want out. I want to start fresh.
LOL damn! I thought it was running hunky-dory after the other HG.. but then there was the PS pump. Didn't know about the sunroof motor and the starter though. I'd be pissed. Well sir, you'll have to make a decision soon. Better sell it while it's working.

So what's sticking out in your head the most? The FRS?
Old 06-26-2013, 11:41 PM   #1333

Quote:
Originally Posted by downpour11 View Post
LOL damn! I thought it was running hunky-dory after the other HG.. but then there was the PS pump. Didn't know about the sunroof motor and the starter though. I'd be pissed. Well sir, you'll have to make a decision soon. Better sell it while it's working.

So what's sticking out in your head the most? The FRS?
Oh I know!

No actually. I'm with you on that one, that isn't a car I want to have in college. Buying a 1st gen with a solid axle is extremely appealing right now. I would buy one semi built, dump a grand into maintenance, and then a grand on off-road stuff. I could run any trail in Southern California with no problems at all. I'm not worried about street-ability because I live 3.6 miles from work and 3.4 miles from school.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:03 AM   #1334

Quote:
Oh I know!

No actually. I'm with you on that one, that isn't a car I want to have in college. Buying a 1st gen with a solid axle is extremely appealing right now. I would buy one semi built, dump a grand into maintenance, and then a grand on off-road stuff. I could run any trail in Southern California with no problems at all. I'm not worried about street-ability because I live 3.6 miles from work and 3.4 miles from school.
I'll keep a lookout for ya up here too.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:39 AM   #1335
4runner Troll

Gotcha. Yeah I'd shy away from the new expensive car, but that's just me. A wheeler would be cool then get a commuter car when you get to college.

Btw, anyone change their rear axle seals before? I just noticed my passenger side is leaking and I'm really not looking forward to doing it. It will push my regear back a bit which sucks.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:54 AM   #1336

Quote:
Btw, anyone change their rear axle seals before? I just noticed my passenger side is leaking and I'm really not looking forward to doing it. It will push my regear back a bit which sucks.
I haven't, but I have pulled a rear axle shaft before. Really easy to do. I can't imagine it being very hard.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #1337
JWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Waldo
JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Easy job. Undo brake line, undo ebrake clip, pull abs sensor, undo 4 nuts on back, and pull assembly out being careful of axle shaft splines. Seal will be staring you in the face once you're down there. If you care about the seal, get a seal puller. If not, find anything to pull it out but don't destroy the inside of your axle tube. Gently place new one in and evenly tap it in flush. Re-assemble and bleed rear brakes. Honestly, bleeding the rear brakes sucks more than the job itself unless you have a power bleeder. Otherwise, it takes two people.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #1338

Quote:
Gotcha. Yeah I'd shy away from the new expensive car, but that's just me. A wheeler would be cool then get a commuter car when you get to college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWaldz View Post
Easy job. Undo brake line, undo ebrake clip, pull abs sensor, undo 4 nuts on back, and pull assembly out being careful of axle shaft splines. Seal will be staring you in the face once you're down there. If you care about the seal, get a seal puller. If not, find anything to pull it out but don't destroy the inside of your axle tube. Gently place new one in and evenly tap it in flush. Re-assemble and bleed rear brakes. Honestly, bleeding the rear brakes sucks more than the job itself unless you have a power bleeder. Otherwise, it takes two people.
I didn't bleed my brakes afterwards. I used tubing and then zip-tied it shut so I only lost a little bit of fluid.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #1339
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone in here have an RTT on their runner? I'm thinking of picking this one up. They are local and look nice.

http://www.softopper.com/kukenam-roo...px#prettyPhoto[pp_gal]/1/
Old 06-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #1340
t4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
t4r4life's Tacoma Gallery
connor seems like you don't like your 4runner anymore, then i would suggest selling it while its still worth something, buying and older solid axle rig is a lotta work too, older stuff break and they arnt as nice as ur 3rd gen, having your dad buy you an FRS might sound like what a spoiled rich kid's move but its the most rational choice for your situation, you can always pay your dad back when you have some money. but i suggest you drop anything track related, shit is a money pit, unless you are a rich kid with loaded parents it's not a smart move.

Products Discussed in this Thread