SCRunner12's 4Runner Limited

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 4Runners

Notices

need front diff. anything to look for

Old 03-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
fouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Riley
fouillard13's Tacoma Gallery
need front diff. anything to look for

I wrecked my 01 auto sr5 4runner front diff (a040) 4.56 gears and I need to find a used diff. Is there anything that wont work from 96-02. I know I need the same gears. I know in 01 they are electrons actuators. Is this a big deal if its vacuum? Can i switch them out?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
JWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Waldo
JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
They're all the same I believe.. Unless you put the gears in yourself the 3rd gens either came with 4.10s or 4.30s. The diff 'tube' is where you're A.D.D. comes into play.

check this out >>

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/

btw, I actually have a gutted out front diff if you need one.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
fouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

on my vin sticker it sasys (a040) and doesnt that mean i got 4.56?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #4

http://www.brian894x4.com/Gearratiosanddiffs.html (a040)
Old 03-12-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
JWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
Does yours have a 4cyl and/or manual transmission by chance?
Old 03-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #6

01 auto 3.4 sr5
Old 03-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #7

JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
Then I doubt you have 4.56's and since you don't have an elocker I doubt you have 4.30's. Factory 4.56's were extremely rare and in 99.9% cases found in the 4cyl with manual trans setup.

So unless you or someone prior to you put different gears in your diffs, I'm willing to bet you have 4.10's.

Take a picture of your door jam sticker and pm it to me. I'll see what I can find out for ya. Otherwise, the best way to test your ratio, other than taking out your rear 3rd member to count teeth, is the driveshaft spin test.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #8

JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
Most of the charts online are inaccurate and guesses at best..

It took me a while to find this but refer to it and see what you come up with.

http://www.sonoransteel.com/includes...aGearRatio.pdf
Old 03-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
i dont think it has anything to do with the gear
Old 03-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #10

my code is a04a and i just found a front diff off 00 4runner sr5 with same gear witch is actually a 4.30
Old 03-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #11
downpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant future

Name: Rob
downpour11's Tacoma Gallery
Go by the link JWaldz posted, much more accurate than the other link. The link you posted says mine are 3.58 ratio and I know for a fact that is not correct.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #12

Yes ur right. My gears are 4.30
Old 03-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #13

JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fouillard13 View Post
Yes ur right. My gears are 4.30
I'd still want to be 100% sure before you go putting the wrong gears in. There are ways you can calculate your gear ratio or do the spin test like I said before. I wouldn't just go off of a diagram.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #14

but both door jams are stating the same gear ratios and i know they have both not been tampered
Old 03-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #15

JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
I just find it hard to believe your 2001 with an auto trans, no elocker, and only the sr5 package came with 4.30's. I've seen it before but it's not that common. I'm just trying to look out for you is all. Those charts aren't 100% accurate and you NEED to be 100% sure you're putting the right gears in. If you have mix-matched gears you're going to be experience more problems in the future.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #16

yes correct. it may be different in toyota but toyota said there are only 2 gear sets available for this 4runner
Old 03-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #17

Diff is good to go! elite bumper on its way. time to get drunk