Notices

4 Runner vs Tacoma

Old 03-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
bryan459 is on a distinguished road
bryan459's Tacoma Gallery
4 Runner vs Tacoma

Hi Guys,

Son wants a Tacoma.

I'm wondering if a 4 Runner might not be a better choice.

Basically I'm just thinking that as a surfer, her might be better off with a 4 Runner he can lock his boards in when he stops and walks away from truck for whatever reason. Sure he can get a shell on the truck, but he still stuck with length of truck bed vs full interior length of 4 Runner.

Either way he'll need 4x4.

Feedback appreciated. How does the 4 Runner compare with Tacoma?
Old 03-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
jeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BM3 1st Div.
Name: Jeff
jeff b's Tacoma Gallery
Truck or station wagon? Bet he wants a Tacoma.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
As someone who has been surfing for most of my life, I can tell you that a truck with a camper is way better to have than an suv. No issues with water in the cab or wetsuit stank. Just make sure he gets a fullsize bed (not the shortbed with the double cabs).

And with a folddown rear window in the truck and camper, I can fit longboards through the truck.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
DblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DblCabMN's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a 4runner is the better choice. Assuming his boards are longer than six feet? But what do i know, i live in Minnesota
Old 03-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
jeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jeff b's Tacoma Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
As someone who has been surfing for most of my life, I can tell you that a truck with a camper is way better to have than an suv. No issues with water in the cab or wetsuit stank. Just make sure he gets a fullsize bed (not the shortbed with the double cabs).

And with a folddown rear window in the truck and camper, I can fit longboards through the truck.
I knew there would be a logical reason not to go with a wagon. Thanks,
Old 03-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
Defend Hawaii
HIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: PJ
HIst8ofMIND's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 4th gen 4Runner and 2nd gen Tacoma. I'm no surfer but either one will be fine for a surfer. I've never heard of anyone worry about a surfboard being stolen but in any case. The taco with a camper would be a better choice.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post

Perfect! I didn't know about a fold-down rear window. Problem solved.

I grew up in an era when leaving boards in the bed or on the roof was a non-issue, but I would expect it to disappear these days.

Good to know I can put the 4 Runner idea to rest.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff b View Post
Truck or station wagon? Bet he wants a Tacoma.
lol, that's a no-brainer, but I was trying to remove cool from the equation.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIst8ofMIND View Post
I have a 4th gen 4Runner and 2nd gen Tacoma. I'm no surfer but either one will be fine for a surfer. I've never heard of anyone worry about a surfboard being stolen but in any case. The taco with a camper would be a better choice.
The cost of custom boards these days is over the top. Where I spent 300 for a board by known quality shapers, these days the boards are 1500+. When you're not a pro surfer with boards handed to you, ...

Thanks for the comparison reassurance.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
Defend Hawaii
HIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan459 View Post
The cost of custom boards these days is over the top. Where I spent 300 for a board by known quality shapers, these days the boards are 1500+. When you're not a pro surfer with boards handed to you, ...

Thanks for the comparison reassurance.
Aren't custom boards easier to find if they are stolen? Especially with one of a kind graphics.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIst8ofMIND View Post
Aren't custom boards easier to find if they are stolen? Especially with one of a kind graphics.
Easier to identify if recovered. Easier to find if belonging to a big name in surfing circuit. Average Joe's custom board is more about shape than graphics, so won't really stand out. And even one of a kind graphics have to recognized by someone who knows that they are looking at a stolen board.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #14
Defend Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahshiet View Post
Not if a tweaker spray paints it tho
Only once I had to deal with a stolen surfboard at work. It's uncommon for it to get stolen.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #16
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff b View Post
I knew there would be a logical reason not to go with a wagon. Thanks,
Not sure if you know this, but the 4runner is an SUV, and one of the more capable vehicles on the road, off the lot.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #17

jeff b's Tacoma Gallery
yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Not sure if you know this, but the 4runner is an SUV, and one of the more capable vehicles on the road, off the lot.
Nothing wrong with a 4runner if I wanted a wagon it would be my first choice. Very capable for sure.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #18
rmtofast is a name known to allrmtofast is a name known to allrmtofast is a name known to allrmtofast is a name known to allrmtofast is a name known to allrmtofast is a name known to all
Name: Ryan
rmtofast's Tacoma Gallery
I just traded my built 3rd gen 4runner, I'm into white water kayaking which is simular...for my playboat (5 foot ) boat to fit it still hung out the back window, wet clothes on my carpet kinda stunk, muddy boots, wet boat with water dripping onto carpet.. this wasn't working for me and it was even harder to throw them up on the roof rack.. on a everyday note ..taking trash to dump, hauling anything other than grocerys was just doing more damage to the 4runner than it was worth so I traded for my 99 tacoma and never looked back. You just can't beat it my vote coming from a 24 year old that owned a heavily modified 4runner for 2 years and a fresh Tacoma owner would be the Tacoma
Old 04-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I actually didn't think of the 4 Runner as an SUV (no I didn't think it was a station wagon). The older models are what I picture when I think about a 4 Runner. I saw a late model 4 Runner yesterday and see how it has clearly transformed into SUV status.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahshiet View Post
My 3yr son's SUP board
Obviously that is a board that is easy to recognize, not subtle at all. Nice!