1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Power Steering pump question?

Discussion in '4Runners' started by mytoy04, May 11, 2013.

1. May 11, 2013 at 8:48 AM
    mytoy04

mytoy04 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Liberty, MO
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner 4cyl 5sp 4x4
    Hey All, I have a 99 4runner 4x4 with the 2.7 5speed and need to know if a power steering pump from a 2.7 tacoma prerunner will interchange? My 4R has the horrible groan noise works fine but groans and is driving me nuts. I already have the pump from the tacoma and they are identical. But have differrent numbers at the parts store. Will it work? The pulley everything is the same, just curious if maybe something internally is different before I swap them out? Basically, I wasn't sure just a seal kit would fix the groan, and didn't want to fork out the money for a new or rebuilt one. Thanks and hope to hear something soon from y'all.

2. May 11, 2013 at 4:58 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    I just checked RockAuto's website, and they list the same part for 99 4runner and Tacoma with the 2.7L motor. The 3.4L seems to have a different part number.

3. May 12, 2013 at 7:34 AM
    mytoy04

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Liberty, MO
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner 4cyl 5sp 4x4
    tan4x4, thanks for the feedback. Yea the pump is from an 02 prerunner. It looks like the mounting is all the same and lines both match. I guess I was curious if a 4wd required a different pump ration. Does that make sense? Like I said I wasn't sure just doing the seal kit would fix the groan. I'll report back when I get them changed out.

4. May 13, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    If it helps, here are a couple of photos of my PS pump ( 99 Tacoma 4wd 2.7L)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  5. May 13, 2013 at 2:40 PM
    mytoy04

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Liberty, MO
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner 4cyl 5sp 4x4
    Hey thanks Rick. Does your's groan or have you ever replaced it? And I looked on rock auto's website and the pump I got is off of an 02 prerunner and they have different part numbers but I found on another site that they are the same. And I sure wish I could figure how to put up pics from my Iphone cause I'd sure like to put up some pics of the two pumps.

Tim

6. May 13, 2013 at 6:04 PM
    mytoy04

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Liberty, MO
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner 4cyl 5sp 4x4
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
  7. May 14, 2013 at 1:17 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    Never replaced it. It does groan once in a great while when turning sharp right.

My idle-up switch connection looks a little different.

8. May 14, 2013 at 3:24 PM
    mytoy04

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Liberty, MO
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner 4cyl 5sp 4x4
    Yea ours has two vacuum lines on the banjo high pressure line, the one I'm wanting to put on had an electric switch. But hopefully my banjo bolt fits and threaded the same. That and the pulleys are different. This one has bigger holes so you can actually take the reservoir off without having to remove the pully to get to that one bolt on that side.
    Anybody have any good tips for cleaning the screen in the bottom of the reservoir?

9. May 18, 2013 at 8:15 PM
    mytoy04

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Liberty, MO
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner 4cyl 5sp 4x4
  10. May 20, 2013 at 6:07 AM
    mytoy04

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Liberty, MO
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner 4cyl 5sp 4x4
    So have an update. Got the banjo bolt off finally then took awhile to get the bottom bracket bolt out. I don't see how some of y'all swop these out in an hour, lol. So I got the old pump off and noticed the 24mm part that the banjo bolt screws into was different so I swapped that part out and mounted up the new pump from the 02 prerunner. Filled with fluid and no leaks, however I apparently have air in the system cuz it's making a chirping noise and is foaming pretty good. Ran out of time last night to try and bleed it out so I'll do that this evening and post update.
    Any tips on bleeding the system would be greatly appreciated.

11. May 21, 2013 at 5:30 AM
    mytoy04

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Liberty, MO
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner 4cyl 5sp 4x4
    UPDATE: Come to find out I had a leak in the system resulting in air in the system. The leak ended up being the reservoir o-ring. When I got this other pump I pulled the reservoir off to clean the screen on the inside and somehow the o-ring didn't stay on when I reassembled. Big oops on my part. So got that taken care of and the system acted like it didn't even really need bled. I then washed the engine bay and check fluid level this am and it appears the job is complete.
    So the swap of my ps pump to a pump from a 2002 tacoma prerunner is a success!

12. May 21, 2013 at 1:06 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanx for posting up your end results.

I hope I'm not the only one that has been following this. My pump probably has limited hours left, being the same age as yours. Nice to know that 4runner PS pumps are compatible. Also nice to know to be extra careful with that darn o-ring.

13. May 21, 2013 at 1:53 PM
    mytoy04

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Liberty, MO
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner 4cyl 5sp 4x4
    Tan4x4, thanks for chiming in. Yea I think I mentioned I had to change out that banjo part but other than that and the o-ring thing, which I have no idea how that happened. One of the mounting bolts was an absolute pain to get off. I ended up taking the skid plate off and come up from the bottom. The longer wrenches would've help a lot.
    I notice that this has had several views but yea not many replies, which is fine. I guess for most guys on these forums a power steering swap is an easy job but it was my first. Each time I accomplish these jobs I just get more and more confident for the next.
    When you decide to do yours and if you happen to run into trouble I'll try to offer what worked for me

Products Discussed in

To Top