SCRunner12's 4Runner Limited

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 4Runners

Notices

Seeking advice

Old 05-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
Master Navigator/Zipper Operator
Germ is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Germ's Tacoma Gallery
Seeking advice

Hello, 4runner section of TW. I'm wondering if you guys might be able to offer a little friendly advice regarding a '94 4runner I am considering purchasing for my wife. Now obviously without seeing the truck in person I don't expect you to offer me mechanically sound advice, I'm just hoping to obtain a little extra knowledge about the mighty 4runner to avoid any buyer's remorse. Thanks in advance. http://showlow.craigslist.org/cto/3787349638.html
Old 05-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
downpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant future
Name: Rob
downpour11's Tacoma Gallery
I'd hold out for a 3rd gen. You can find a decent 3rd gen for around the same price, the engine is wayyyy better.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
Germ is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Germ's Tacoma Gallery
The only problem is there is a serious lack of 4runner's on the market in my area. Can you go into a bit of detail or provide a link regarding the 2nd gen vs 3rd gen engine?
Old 05-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
Molon Labe
WThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Will
WThomas1250's Tacoma Gallery
I may be wrong, but that looks to me like a V6.

The 2nd gen 4Runners had a 3.0 V6, which had headgasket issues. I know there was some kinda recall but I see a lot of them with blown head gaskets. If you're looking for one that old, you should try to find a 4-cyl.

The 3rd gen 4Runners have the 3.4L V6 (same one my truck has) which will basically run forever. I'm at 195K and I daily drive mine, it runs great.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
downpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant future
I'm biased though lol, but they are both great trucks. 2nd gens will run into head gasket issues, and they are slow and underpowered.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...n-3rd-gen.html

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...-opinions.html

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/classi...-thoughts.html

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...unner-problems

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ers-guide.html
Old 05-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #6

Germ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by downpour11 View Post
This was beyond helpful thank you. Looks like I'll be on the hunt for a 3rd gen.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germ View Post
This was beyond helpful thank you. Looks like I'll be on the hunt for a 3rd gen.
No problem man. I just said to myself "he could get a 3rd gen for that price" lol very worth it. Good luck in your search!