SCRunner12's 4Runner Limited

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 4Runners

Notices

NEED ADVISE-3rd or 4th GEN BETTER?

Old 05-15-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Marty
Mad Man Marty's Tacoma Gallery
NEED ADVISE-3rd or 4th GEN BETTER?

Have tacoma & may be dumping grand cherokee to buy used 4runner.
My question is, which is better, 3rd or 4th gen & why?
Thx 4 the help.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
JWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Waldo
JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
If you're wanting a similar sized vehicle to the GC then a 3rd gen is a good match. It's a bit under powered at times, especially when towing or hauling heavy stuff. There are 5 speed manuals out there, otherwise it's a 4 speed auto with od. The 01's and 02's have a some traction options not available in previous years but a lot of people bypass them cus they suck for offroad. Same concept with the xreas in the 4th gens. You can manage to find factory rear elocked 3rd gen with a 5 speed and 4.30 gears but they're getting to be pretty hard to find. Even harder to find one with a supercharger one it. 4th gens were available with v8s which is nice.

What you going to be using this vehicle for should be the main question. If it's mainly a road queen with the chances you'll be using it to tow/haul stuff then 4th gen. If it's going to see trails more often and you don't want the bulky size of the 4th gen, then I say 3rd gen.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
The V8 on the 4th gen is fantastic. Passes everything but gas stations. But, the fuel economy is not much worse than my 1st gen, 3.4 Tacoma.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
LTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
LTDSC's Tacoma Gallery
if you're above the height of the average female, dont get a sunroof. I regret it dearly.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Advice
Old 05-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDSC View Post
if you're above the height of the average female, dont get a sunroof. I regret it dearly.
Glad I did not get one. Amazing how much headroom they take up.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
LTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
LTDSC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
Glad I did not get one. Amazing how much headroom they take up.
granted im 6'8" but all i need is one more inch and my neck would be so much better. Im cutting up my seat brackets this weekend, hoping that helps.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #8

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
6'8" ???

freak.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Best 4runner & options

The runner would mostly be used as a taxi & grocery getter. But i live 1/2 mile off pavement & need to use 4wd everyday in the winter to get up my mountain road. My wife would be the primary driver & likes comfort & accessories. We would use it as a daily driver, for camping trips & off road trail trips once a year. My wife drives a grand cherokee, 4.0 select trac now, but has driven a f350 crew cab 8ft bed for 3 years in the past. She is 5'8", & i am shorter than her so head room is not a issue. i was thinking maybe a 2001-2004 with 85k or less miles. I do like the 3rd gen. Option suggestions & problems/things to look out for would also help.
Redfox your video is great. Who is she?
Any other advise would be appreciated
Old 05-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
3rd or 4th gen advise

Anyone else?
Old 05-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
downpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant future
Name: Rob
downpour11's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely 3rd gen, unless you want a V8. Look for a 3rd gen with an e-locker.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
I probably am going to go with a v6.
My wife and i took a 2000 sport with the 3.4 (auto) for a ride this weekend.
She was not impressed with the power.
The last 4runner we had only had 3.0, but due to the 5 speed seemed more peppy. So it looks like we have it narrowed down to the 4.0.
Can i get some help with the best year & options, & what to look out for when buying? Thx for the help.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #13
downpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant futuredownpour11 has a brilliant future
Name: Rob
downpour11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Man Marty View Post
I probably am going to go with a v6.
My wife and i took a 2000 sport with the 3.4 (auto) for a ride this weekend.
She was not impressed with the power.
The last 4runner we had only had 3.0, but due to the 5 speed seemed more peppy. So it looks like we have it narrowed down to the 4.0.
Can i get some help with the best year & options, & what to look out for when buying? Thx for the help.
I'd start searchin' over here: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/

A wealth of info
Old 05-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #14
Thx. Ill check it out.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #15
MojaveMadman is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: Chris
MojaveMadman's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on how much you want to spend! 4th Gen is very very nice, my wife drives one and I love that thing. V6 has tons of power and has a timing chain instead of a belt so maintenance is much less. It's bigger and has more room for whatever you put in it. But they are much more pricy than a 3rd Gen. If you are tight on money, or want to mod it right away 3rd Gens are still great rigs, just a little slower and a little smaller. I am getting ready to build a 3rd Gen because I don't want to spend the money on the 4th Gen and then have no bidget for mods...
Old 07-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #16
Thx mojave.
From 1 mad man to another.
My wife and i drove a 3rd gen '02 with the 3.4.
It was automatic and did not have much pick-up at all.
It will be her DD, so that deal was squashed.
We had a 3.0, but had a 5 speed, & had much more get up & go.
Do u have a stick? Do they have much more pick-up than the auto?
Thx, marty
Old 07-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #17
Dr. Gonzo will become famous soon enoughDr. Gonzo will become famous soon enough
Dr. Gonzo's Tacoma Gallery
I have owned both. The 4th gen is better to live with as a DD.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
I have owned both. The 4th gen is better to live with as a DD.
Anything i should look out for?
Old 08-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #19
Dr. Gonzo will become famous soon enoughDr. Gonzo will become famous soon enough
Dr. Gonzo's Tacoma Gallery
If you want a V6 get 05+ they have 5 speed auto vs 4speed. 06+ gets a body refresh. As far as problems to look out for. I haven't encountered any. Upgrade the suspension to Bilstein 5100s and it should be on par with your TRD, minus the LSD.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #20
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Buddy has a 3rd gen limited . Those leather seats are the most uncomfortable seats I have ever sat in . Ever.