SCRunner12's 4Runner Limited

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 4Runners

Notices

2014 4runner diesel

Old 06-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #21
Pinoiako916 is on a distinguished road
Name: Al
Pinoiako916's Tacoma Gallery
but is replacing the diesel fuel filter every 15k only if your diesel truck has no urea?
Old 06-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #22
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Yeah, and cost a lot more to buy and maintain... Do the math and you aren't saving on fuel economy alone until you've already kept the thing for many years after it's paid off.
Not true.

The fuel economy alone pays for far more than the difference in fuel cost.
Throw in towing/hauling and the difference is even greater. My Duramax got the same mileage as my Tundra. Truck was twice the weight, 4x4, taller, bigger tires, and a 6.6l engine compared to a 4.7.

Apples to apples, the Duramax would pull an easy 6-8mpg better than a gas version of the same truck. 6-8mpg more is "good" on a 20mpg Tacoma.. but when you're dealing with 6-8mpg more than a 10-12mpg gasser, it's WAY significant.

A 2.7 Diesel Tacoma could easily pull 35-40mpg.

The purchase cost is higher due in part to the lower production numbers, but also due to the fact that the engine is built heavier.

A lot of talk about high maintenance costs is always thrown around, and it is simply not true. Diesel pickups carry twice the oil of gassers... but the change intervals are also longer, so it balances out. I would not expect a 2.7-4.0 Diesel from Hino (Toyota) to require more than the 6 quarts we already have.

So the only added maintenance item is a fuel filter every 15k. Big deal. Fleetfilter sells them for $20. Don't pay the dealer $60.
No spark plugs to change.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #23
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoiako916 View Post
but is replacing the diesel fuel filter every 15k only if your diesel truck has no urea?
Urea is not run through the intake... no effect on the fuel filter.
The asphaltines in the fuel have to be filtered out so they won't gum up and damage the injectors.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #24
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
For the urea you' will need a blowtorch and some straight piping and a tuner then it will be a diesel
Old 06-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #25

I'd cut my filters open at 15k and they were only darkened about 1/4 to halfway up.
Plenty of safety factor on 15k if you're buying quality fuel.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #26
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Diesel in warmer climates fare better than diesels in cold climates, I bought good diesel fuel when I had mine, the filter always plugged 3000 or more miles early. There is a lot of offset in the types of maintanence, diesel was still higher cost. This is based on full size diesel pickup like a duramax 6.6 2005, or an older ford vs a Tacoma or a v8. Fleet records at work verify the diesel 3/4 tons type and amount. Also Portland mandated biodiesel blend (B10) to be sold in town, I often fueled up out of town.

I went from a 22mpg diesel that weighed some 7000lb, to this Tacoma at 3700lb that gets 25mpg before larger tires and gears. the diesel has advantages to be sure, they just need to get the market full them so the cost to buy one goes down, B10 as of a year ago or 2 has an industry standard to meet too, it's not as likely to plug filters.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #27
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
WOW,

Again and again....Toyota HAS a Diesel..it is called Hino....

No true market unless you "Jump in" like VW did way back when ( 30 cents a gallon)....The Rabbit and VW p/u were getting 45-50 mpg's back then and the only "true expense" was earlier models got "sold" on Mobil one Diesel oil...

Being in NH we did NOT change out fuel filters anymore than gas filters..Shit fuel is shit fuel..SIMPLE....

They still are sharing our Truck fuel islands by the handful BUT it is everyone...young lady in a busines suit grabbed her "glove" and proceeded to fuel her Jetta...I asked her mpg's and she ...36-38 overall and that is due to her "right foot"...

Why should Toyota commit to that "emmisions regiment" when WE are "Sold' that diesel is the "Dirty fuel".....LNG will be the next "Hurrah" in these United States....Your Government and BIG $$$$ make more off from it ...
Old 06-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #28
DJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DJB1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoiako916 View Post
But where its cold, can you just get a block heater so that the diesel will not gel? How easy will it be to oil change the 2014 grand cherokee diesel with the urea thing as well?
Diesel usually gels in the fuel lines and filters. A block heater wouldn't do anything for the fuel lines that go from the filters back to the tank, but a fuel additive or winter blend fuel would. Especially if you start using it BEFORE it gets brutally cold and prevent gelling from happening in the first place. The diesel exhaust fluid tank would be nowhere near the engine, that fluid is introduced into the catalyst in the exhaust system, not the engine oil
Old 06-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #29
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Marty
Mad Man Marty's Tacoma Gallery
I love diesels!
Old 06-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #30
Dr. Gonzo will become famous soon enoughDr. Gonzo will become famous soon enough
Dr. Gonzo's Tacoma Gallery
I want an oil burning Toyota!
Old 12-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #32
mwa10taco is on a distinguished road
mwa10taco's Tacoma Gallery
My Brother-in-law drives a max cab, long bed Dodge Diesel w/a 10' Lance Cab-over camper and gets 16mpg. My Taco dblcab 4x4 4.0 gets 20 empty and 11 towing a 4,000lb 18' travel trailer. I'm gutted about it, but the Taco is slightly easier to park than that Dodge.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:30 PM   #33
DJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DJB1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwa10taco View Post
My Brother-in-law drives a max cab, long bed Dodge Diesel w/a 10' Lance Cab-over camper and gets 16mpg. My Taco dblcab 4x4 4.0 gets 20 empty and 11 towing a 4,000lb 18' travel trailer. I'm gutted about it, but the Taco is slightly easier to park than that Dodge.

MPG isn't the only cost to consider. A double-cab 4x4 diesel pickup costs twice as much your truck AND they are total shop queens to boot. Your brother-in-law will cry until he vomits when he has to pay for a new turbo or injectors. Plus his tires and fuel cost more. I have a few co-workers with diesel trucks that like to tease me about my "pussy" Tacoma. I just tell them I'm under-compensating for my giant cock.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:37 AM   #34
Russtoy is on a distinguished road
Army: 1st Armor Division
Name: Russel
Russtoy's Tacoma Gallery
I've own my Chevy D-Max since 2006...and absolutely love my diesel!! Everyone is talking about how hard it is to take care of a diesel, but it's not. The fuel filter is the only really "extra" maintenance. It doesn't matter how cold it is. I live in Ohio...it's plenty cold here. You just need to make sure you get your fuel from a reputable station. If you go to a station that lets water get into their fuel...and/or doesn't sell much fuel so it sits in their tanks for months...that's when you have problems! That's when your fuel can gel or grow bacteria!

Easiest thing to do when your out on the road is buy your fuel where you see semi's and dump truck fueling up. And when your home just ask around until you find a good station.

Something else...several have stated diesel vehicles cost to much...it's true that you pay a premium for the Diesel engine...but you never lose that. When you go to sell your vehicle you will recoup that money. Diesel vehicles are always worth more than gas powered vehicles.

And everyone acts like they'll never see a diesel in a 4Runner...please!! The United States is the only country you can't find a diesel in a Toyota!! When I was in Iraq...that's all I saw were diesel 4Runners and trucks. For years, guys have been buying the front half of diesel Toyota trucks from overseas and have them created up and brought to the US. Then they transplant the diesel into their worn out Toy! IMHO...the EPA and California...are the ones keeping diesels out of the US.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #35
RubiconBob is on a distinguished road
RubiconBob's Tacoma Gallery
There is a hefty Import tariff on diesels since the '80s. Cat, detroit, and cummins pushed for it hard once they saw how good the asian and German competition was. Back then Harley Davidson also forced import bikes to stay under 700cc.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:14 PM   #36
bmwco is on a distinguished road
bmwco's Tacoma Gallery
Anther factor I don't see here, aside from MPG: Torque! The (only) available motor feels so weak, particularly when you're used to diesel. The 4Runner simply needs more power. Best and most efficient means: diesel.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #37
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
At least his thread isn't in the 2nd gen section, I'm out.