1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Built a low profile 12" sub box.

Discussion in '4Runners' started by Bawlzdeep, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Sep 10, 2013 at 3:05 PM
    Bawlzdeep

Bawlzdeep [OP] I'm dropping the hammer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Penn Valley CA
    Vehicle:
    S/C'd 97 4Runner 5spd
    lift, tires, winch, 5spd swap, dual lockers..
    I built a large box a couple years back that held two 12" subs, amps on the side, tools and air compressor/tank. I sacrificed a ton of cargo space and was carrying around an extra 100lbs (just the weight of the material). I'd also like to have the option to toss the air mattress in the back on camping trips.

When I took the big box out, the rear end raised 2 inches, cheapest lift ever! I wanted to build something as low profile as possible. Hard to do for a 12" sub. The only place suitable was the passenger rear corner, driver's side has the fill neck.

Basic dimensions of my new box are 15x15x6.5. The 45deg cut is 10" in. The sub is 5.5" deep.

Materials used were leftover 1/2" plywood from old box and 1x2 frame pieces that were actually in a bundle of kindling that I had.

The box will be counter sunk into the wall about 6".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sep 22, 2013 at 2:06 AM
    rmarkey

rmarkey Active Member

Member:
    Nice! You should smooth and fiberglass that thing, good job. I want a sub in mine but don't want to lose even that little storage space, since that is about the only storage there is!

3. Oct 23, 2013 at 7:43 PM
    Bawlzdeep

Bawlzdeep [OP] I'm dropping the hammer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Penn Valley CA
    Vehicle:
    S/C'd 97 4Runner 5spd
    lift, tires, winch, 5spd swap, dual lockers..
    Zero fiber glass experience here! It got some paint and that will do.

Sound quality in a box that is too small: at normal listening volume it's perfect, the bass pedal hit when listening to rock it game on. But of course when it's turned up listening to heavy bass like dub step or some gangsta beats it's starving for air space. Is my speaker box trying to tell me something? LOL

[​IMG]

BTW- Being that KoRn used to be my favorite band way back in my high school days, thought that I'd share with the other fans that Brian "Head" Welch is back and they have a new album here's a listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=851NxKsneFk

4. Oct 26, 2013 at 2:13 PM
    UssMoGn

UssMoGn That Vegas dude

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Las Vegas NV
    Vehicle:
    05&04 Tacoma SR5
    Home Built Front Bumper HID Headlights LED Cab lights 2013 Radio swap MOLLE DC Insert Traffic Cam F&R 6'' Procomp lift Custom Grillie
    Looks good! I just had a recent issue of my 2 12'' kicker sub box bouncing round and shattering my back window. Thank god my brother had a spare window in the back yard. all I need to do was get it retinted.

My fix was just to screw some D-rings from Home Depot to the Sub-Box and straped it down with the Factory D-rings.

Products Discussed in

To Top