1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking of trading the Tacoma for a 4Runner

Discussion in '4Runners' started by keylay, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Sep 19, 2013 at 7:29 AM
    keylay

keylay [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    03 4Runner 4WD
    Up to this point in my life, i've never owned a 4x4. I've had a 2004 Tacoma Prerunner, a Subaru Impreza (AWD in a car is not the same as a 4x4 you can take on trails), and now a 2005 DCSB Prerunner. However, i'd love to get into off-roading, but Houston does not provide a lot of opportunity for that in the immediate area.

I do work in the pool business, so i transport a lot of things, hence why i have a truck, but the budget doesn't provide the opportunity to get a 4x4 Tacoma. They hold their value really good.

On the other hand, the 4Runners, around the same MY as my Tacoma in 4x4 configuration are within my price range. I like the power the 4.0 provides in my truck and bet it's the same in the 4Runner. However, storage could be an issue. Like my Subaru, i had to lay the seats down to get gear inside. How much room do 4Runners have with the seats down? And is it a chore to put up and down a lot?

I'd really like to start exploring and off-roading with my family as my boy gets older. I'd need something that hauls pool equipment, family friendly, city driveable and off-road capable. On my Prerunner, i've though off upgrading the tires to A/T, installing sliders and seeing what i can do, but what 99% of TW says, "it's still not a 4x4".

I've looked on-line at 2003-2007, 4x4 4Runner, most with 100-150K miles. Some are 4.7 V8 and others the 4.0. Tell me, which one is more sought after and are there an major issues or concerns with the V8?

2. Sep 19, 2013 at 7:47 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    Back seats fold down just like your taco. My mom has an 05 with the 4.7l and she loves it. This is her third 4runner and she says the v8 is the best engine without a doubt that she's had. However the 4wd system is not the same between the two engines. The v8 has an awd system with center locking diff and low range and the v6 has the conventional part 4wd like what comes in the tacoma.

3. Oct 11, 2013 at 11:15 AM
    zbaldo

zbaldo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ozzy
    Torrance, Ca
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner SR5 4X4
    Stock as Stock can be with duratracs and a roof rack
    I don't think you'll like the change to an SUV since you use the open bed all the time, why not try to find a cheaper 3rd gen 4runner and not selling the prerunner. I know this isn't an option for most as there are all these other costs to consider but it might be a good compromise.

Products Discussed in

To Top