SCRunner12's 4Runner Limited

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 4Runners

Notices

Thinking of trading the Tacoma for a 4Runner

Old 09-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
keylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kyle
keylay's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking of trading the Tacoma for a 4Runner

Up to this point in my life, i've never owned a 4x4. I've had a 2004 Tacoma Prerunner, a Subaru Impreza (AWD in a car is not the same as a 4x4 you can take on trails), and now a 2005 DCSB Prerunner. However, i'd love to get into off-roading, but Houston does not provide a lot of opportunity for that in the immediate area.

I do work in the pool business, so i transport a lot of things, hence why i have a truck, but the budget doesn't provide the opportunity to get a 4x4 Tacoma. They hold their value really good.

On the other hand, the 4Runners, around the same MY as my Tacoma in 4x4 configuration are within my price range. I like the power the 4.0 provides in my truck and bet it's the same in the 4Runner. However, storage could be an issue. Like my Subaru, i had to lay the seats down to get gear inside. How much room do 4Runners have with the seats down? And is it a chore to put up and down a lot?

I'd really like to start exploring and off-roading with my family as my boy gets older. I'd need something that hauls pool equipment, family friendly, city driveable and off-road capable. On my Prerunner, i've though off upgrading the tires to A/T, installing sliders and seeing what i can do, but what 99% of TW says, "it's still not a 4x4".

I've looked on-line at 2003-2007, 4x4 4Runner, most with 100-150K miles. Some are 4.7 V8 and others the 4.0. Tell me, which one is more sought after and are there an major issues or concerns with the V8?
Old 09-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
Back seats fold down just like your taco. My mom has an 05 with the 4.7l and she loves it. This is her third 4runner and she says the v8 is the best engine without a doubt that she's had. However the 4wd system is not the same between the two engines. The v8 has an awd system with center locking diff and low range and the v6 has the conventional part 4wd like what comes in the tacoma.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
zbaldo has a spectacular aura aboutzbaldo has a spectacular aura about

Name: Ozzy
zbaldo's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think you'll like the change to an SUV since you use the open bed all the time, why not try to find a cheaper 3rd gen 4runner and not selling the prerunner. I know this isn't an option for most as there are all these other costs to consider but it might be a good compromise.