Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 4Runners

Notices

Motor Knocks

Old 01-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #1
IrmoRabbidMoose is on a distinguished road

Name: Jay
IrmoRabbidMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Motor Knocks

Hey guys, I'm about to buy a 2002 4runner Sport from a friend of mine and he's had it since it had 10k miles on it, it currently has 160k. He's taken extremely good care of it which is why I'm interested in buying it. The only problem he says, is that the motor has a "knock" when he uses 87 octane gasoline but not when you use 89 or higher. I've never heard that before and I've had a couple of Tacoma's that have had the 3.4L and never have I had an issue with a knock! I know he's not trying to hustle me or anything, and he's not the most mechanically knowledgeable person out there. Maybe a knock to him is a tick to me. I don't know. Either way, assuming it's a knock, has anyone ever had experience with this and/or heard of this. It's obviously not required from Toyota to run 89 so I'm confused. I don't see him that often so if I could on a whim I'd drive to his house and test drive it.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:07 PM   #2
We can't stop here, this is bat country.
dayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
dayNnite4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoRabbidMoose View Post
Hey guys, I'm about to buy a 2002 4runner Sport from a friend of mine and he's had it since it had 10k miles on it, it currently has 160k. He's taken extremely good care of it which is why I'm interested in buying it. The only problem he says, is that the motor has a "knock" when he uses 87 octane gasoline but not when you use 89 or higher. I've never heard that before and I've had a couple of Tacoma's that have had the 3.4L and never have I had an issue with a knock! I know he's not trying to hustle me or anything, and he's not the most mechanically knowledgeable person out there. Maybe a knock to him is a tick to me. I don't know. Either way, assuming it's a knock, has anyone ever had experience with this and/or heard of this. It's obviously not required from Toyota to run 89 so I'm confused. I don't see him that often so if I could on a whim I'd drive to his house and test drive it.
My 2011 with 27k on it has a light tick, which I was told on here is just the spark plugs and was commonly referred to as the "tacoma tick". A knock, however, sounds more concerning
Old 01-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #3

Yeah that's what I was thinking. He was telling me however how he changed the spark plugs and wires. I don't know what to expect. Like I said a knock to him might be a tick to you and I. I haven't heard the car run in quite a while.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:55 PM   #4

Anybody else?
Old 01-15-2014, 01:18 AM   #5
Taco47 is on a distinguished road

Taco47's Tacoma Gallery
it would help if you can get a video clip of it knocking.