SCRunner12's 4Runner Limited

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 4Runners

Notices

4th Gen 4Runner Questions

Old 01-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #1
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
4th Gen 4Runner Questions

so i am picking up a 2003 limited 4Runner tomm......it has 81k on odo
questions......will my king coils from my 09 tacoma work on the 4 runner?
what other parts if any are interchangeable ?
i need skids, sliders, bumpers...cv's,
timing belt and water pump i think
how hard is the timing belt to change
does the water pump need to be replaced at 90k also?
what else should be done?
rear diff breather mod?
im looking to go 33's and lift it?
i also have a slight belt chirp i will have to look into.....
let the fun begin.....
any tips or advise is welcome......
Old 01-28-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
Buckles is on a distinguished road
Buckles's Tacoma Gallery
This site will be your best friend.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/

I believe the coilovers should work, but you probably want to double check.
I know some FJ suspension works on the 4Runners.

There are a lot of things that are interchangeable. Timing belt and water pump is a pretty time consuming job, if you have the tool and know how, it shouldnt be too bad. Im pretty sure that they recommend to do both at the same time. At least you might as well since most of the same parts need to come off.

Are you getting a 4.7 or 4.0?

Rear breather mod is easy, and should be done if you plan on playing around any water.

You should be able to clear 33" with a modest lift and the right wheels.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckles View Post
This site will be your best friend.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/

I believe the coilovers should work, but you probably want to double check.
I know some FJ suspension works on the 4Runners.

There are a lot of things that are interchangeable. Timing belt and water pump is a pretty time consuming job, if you have the tool and know how, it shouldnt be too bad. Im pretty sure that they recommend to do both at the same time. At least you might as well since most of the same parts need to come off.

Are you getting a 4.7 or 4.0?

Rear breather mod is easy, and should be done if you plan on playing around any water.

You should be able to clear 33" with a modest lift and the right wheels.
ITS A 4.7....
AND THATS WHAT I THOUGHT ABOUT THE TIMING BELT AND WATER PUMP
Old 01-28-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
Glad you made out man!

That V8 will be nice
Old 01-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #5
BIG DADDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY50cal View Post
Glad you made out man!

That V8 will be nice
Old 01-28-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
LTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shedLTDSC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
LTDSC's Tacoma Gallery
im running coilovers that were off a tacoma. They're completely interchangeable in that regard.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:53 PM   #7
BIG DADDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDSC View Post
im running coilovers that were off a tacoma. They're completely interchangeable in that regard.

Sweet
What about tre's
Cvs
Spindles
Wheel bearings
Lca's
All the same
Old 02-02-2014, 05:56 AM   #8
BIG DADDY

So for my rear lift im thinking ome 896's with ome 60004 shocks

Any thoughts
I carry around lots if weight and plan on tire carrier in rear
Old 02-02-2014, 06:01 AM   #9
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
The rear is IRS right?? Not a solid axle?
Old 02-02-2014, 08:59 AM   #11
Buckles is on a distinguished road
Buckles's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
its a solid axle rear with coil springs. Some have the option of air suspension too.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #12
BIG DADDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
vvvv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Pretty sure it's coils on a solid axle. The wife's 2004 is...
THIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckles View Post
its a solid axle rear with coil springs. Some have the option of air suspension too.
THIS

I HAVE TONS OF QUESTIONS
i need to redo my instrument lights as some are burnt out.....
Ok i have a 03 limited and i have a bunch if questions i could use help with
I am a former 2nd gen fully modded tacoma owner
But i am still learning the 4runner

Ok for the question
1......I will be installing some king coils 700lb spring ext travel up front
Can i ditch the sway bar like i did on my taco

2.....any storage ideas for tools and parts and such or are you guys just using tool bags

3.....can i remove the side grab handle and pilar plastic without airbags going off
Here is a pic of what i want to remove to hardwire my ultragauge and gps

4..... Any problems using an ultragauge on a 4th gen

5.....is there any way to open rear hatch from inside
Id love to be able to open it from inside

6...... Keys and key fobs
What are you guyz paying for a new key cut
$80 for key here.... And i would another key fob?
What do they run and where can i get them

7......anyone running 315-70-17's
On a 3"

Thanks in advance
Old 02-02-2014, 02:04 PM   #13
BIG DADDY

Also anyone here running oba setup
If so post up your sysyem
Old 02-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #14
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
vvvv

THIS

THIS

I HAVE TONS OF QUESTIONS

Ok for the question

2.....any storage ideas for tools and parts and such or are you guys just using tool bags

3.....can i remove the side grab handle and pilar plastic without airbags going off

On a 3"

Thanks in advance

1. You can. There is more body roll from the 4R than my Taco...but you could do it of you wanted.
2. There are drawer set ups and molle packs out there for the cargo area....depending on your goals for the rig.
3. I think if you disconnect the battery and be gentle - Should be good
4. None-Wife loved hers...Till I stole it.
5. Don't think so...
6. & 7. No clue.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #15
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
OK, here you go, toyota120.com is a great resource:

Quote:
vvvv

I HAVE TONS OF QUESTIONS

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2496

Ok for the question

yup, been running without one for a few years, new suspension will make it like butter without the SB

Check out my build for a few ideas, including this one, the build on 120 started earlier and has more details on the earlier mods

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21932

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4ru...ers-build.html

Not sure, I don't have those on mine

nope

Not easily, you would need to fool the electronics, there may be some ideas on how to do it on T4R

Not sure, still have my originals

On a 3"

It is possible, a body lift will be all but mandatory unless you don't mind a TON of rubbing. I have 295's that I have not put on yet, but should be good with minimal additional trimming from my 285's.

Here is one build w/out a BL on 315s:

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2043

One of many that run 315s w/ a BL

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8421

Thanks in advance
Quote:
Also anyone here running oba setup
If so post up your sysyem
See pic of storage box. I plan to revamp with a pressure switch, new compressor and a tank soon.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:44 PM   #16
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Sweet
What about tre's
Cvs
Spindles
Wheel bearings
Lca's
All the same
Yup, front suspension and steering is identical between FJ, 4R and Taco.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #17
BIG DADDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
1. You can. There is more body roll from the 4R than my Taco...but you could do it of you wanted.
2. There are drawer set ups and molle packs out there for the cargo area....depending on your goals for the rig.
3. I think if you disconnect the battery and be gentle - Should be good
4. None-Wife loved hers...Till I stole it.
5. Don't think so...
6. & 7. No clue.
thanks
and lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Runner View Post
OK, here you go, toyota120.com is a great resource:

See pic of storage box. I plan to revamp with a pressure switch, new compressor and a tank soon.
sweet thanks i need so many ideas....
everything is so much more expensive then my tacoma
Quote:
Yup, front suspension and steering is identical between FJ, 4R and Taco.
lca's are exactly the same too?
rock auto has diff part numbers for them and lbj's as well.....
???
Old 02-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #18
Because 4R

Pretty sure, check out Total Chaos, they list all 3 models for the same LCA. When I did my LBJs I followed a write up on TW and used the taco part numbers.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #19
BIG DADDY

Quote:
Pretty sure, check out Total Chaos, they list all 3 models for the same LCA. When I did my LBJs I followed a write up on TW and used the taco part numbers.
this is what im hoping for
Old 02-03-2014, 05:43 AM   #20
BIG DADDY

So i am thinking if picking up an PIONEER avh-x4500bhs for my 2003
It has a jbl radio in it now
Does anyone know what i need to install it wire and cable wise

CRUTCHFIELD WEBSITE CALLING FOR'

1....Axxess ASWC-1
Steering wheel control interface — connects your car's steering wheel audio controls to an aftermarket stereo
$80

2.....Metra 70-8117 Factory Integration Adapter
Connect a new car stereo and bypass the factory amplifier in select 2003-07 Toyota vehicles
$25

3.........Metra 95-8210 In-dash Receiver Kit
Fits select 2003-09 Toyota 4Runner models — double-DIN radios
$FREE

4.....Axxess AX-ADBOX1 Factory Integration Adapter
Connect a new car stereo and retain many factory functions in select 2000-up vehicles
$100

5.....PAC TATO Factory Integration Adapter
Install a new car stereo and retain your JBL amp, balance and fade controls, and Synthesisฎ surround systems (2003-up Toyota and Lexus vehicles)
$38
WHAT ELSE WOULD I NEED.....
ALSO I PHONE 5 CABLE?
BYPASS?