Notices

T4R Part Time vs Full time 4wd

Old 01-31-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
Biznitch15 is on a distinguished road

Navy: PO2
Name: José
Biznitch15's Tacoma Gallery
T4R Part Time vs Full time 4wd

So the wifey has been begging for a bigger vehicle than our 13 Tacoma. I told her we'll look into it. So I've been eyeballin the T4R for quite some time now. What i didnt know was that the Limited had Full time 4WD with a locking center differential.

What 4Runner would be the better off road vehicle, the Trail edition with the Part time 4WD Locking rear differential, or the Limited with Full time 4WD center locking differential?

By the way, we're keeping the Tacoma Also. NOT getting rid of my baby.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I assume you are looking at 5th gens, off road, the trail will be better having a locker.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Runner View Post
I assume you are looking at 5th gens, off road, the trail will be better having a locker.
Yes 5th gen. I know the trail has the rear locker. But the limited has the locking center differential. Just want to know which one would be the better off road vehicle.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #4
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
The part time system will be better depending on your type of off roaring, if you go down some fire roads then the limited would be your best bet but if you hit up the trails then the trail edition would be best for you.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
The part time system will be better depending on your type of off roaring, if you go down some fire roads then the limited would be your best bet but if you hit up the trails then the trail edition would be best for you.
Just came across an article of part time vs full time 4wd. Your advise seems like the way to go just like this article. Apparently part time 4wd is the way to go for some more hardcore off roading.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:16 AM   #6
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The limited will have a center diff lock, making it a part time, then the 4wd system is basically the same as the trail, but then you have the locker on the rear for the trail. The trail is definitely more capable off road, why do you think they call it the trail edition?
Old 02-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #7

Quote:
The limited will have a center diff lock, making it a part time, then the 4wd system is basically the same as the trail, but then you have the locker on the rear for the trail. The trail is definitely more capable off road, why do you think they call it the trail edition?
True about the trail.

But I still don't get why toyota advertises the limited as full time 4WD. It's on their website and the window stickers.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #8
Because 4R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biznitch15 View Post
True about the trail.

But I still don't get why toyota advertises the limited as full time 4WD. It's on their website and the window stickers.
Because they are LOL. They have a Torsen center diff which allows full time 4WD (AWD technically). The 4th gen V8s are this was, the V6 are select-able 2WD to 4WD, but still have the Torsen.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:58 AM   #9
4runner *****
kevinpt3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinpt3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinpt3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinpt3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinpt3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinpt3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinpt3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinpt3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinpt3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinpt3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinpt3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
kevinpt3's Tacoma Gallery
you could always get an 09 trail edition. it would have the awd and rear diff lock
Old 02-06-2014, 04:27 AM   #10
03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Navy Veteran
Name: Zach
03is300ztk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Because they are LOL. They have a Torsen center diff which allows full time 4WD (AWD technically). The 4th gen V8s are this was, the V6 are select-able 2WD to 4WD, but still have the Torsen.
Thread jack, well not really I'm shopping for one too.

Did toyota use the Torsen center on 4th gens as well?
Old 02-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #11
Because 4R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03is300ztk View Post
Thread jack, well not really I'm shopping for one too.

Did toyota use the Torsen center on 4th gens as well?
Yup, the Torsen is on EVERY 4th gen, V6 and V8.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:47 AM   #12
03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed03is300ztk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Awesome
Old 02-06-2014, 07:48 AM   #13
Because 4R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpt3 View Post
you could always get an 09 trail edition. it would have the awd and rear diff lock
Very true, but those are like unicorns. Getting any other 4th and putting in an ARB is probably cheaper anyway.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:49 AM   #14
Because 4R

Quote:
I guess I should clarify this is 4x4 were talking here LOL.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:51 AM   #15

Quote:
I guess I should clarify this is 4x4 were talking here LOL.
Wait you mean my 2 wheel drive didnt have a center diff? WHAT????
Old 02-06-2014, 07:56 AM   #16
Because 4R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03is300ztk View Post
Wait you mean my 2 wheel drive didnt have a center diff? WHAT????
I know, right. I just know that someone was going to read that and tell me I am full of shit, so wanted to get that out of the way.