SCRunner12's 4Runner Limited

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 4Runners

Notices

2014 4Runner Suspension TOO SOFT

Old 03-25-2014, 02:10 AM   #1
cactuseater is on a distinguished road
cactuseater's Tacoma Gallery
2014 4Runner Suspension TOO SOFT

I own a 2014 4Runnner SR5 Premium 4X4 in Blue. Also a new Tacoma double cab TRD Off Road 4X4. As it is, the 4Runner is very "squirrel-y" on the road, especially when I took it on a road trip to Vegas this past week. Beautiful rig, but needs some more control. Had it to two different Toyota dealers about the ride, the front end dives when braking, and the slow recovery period from bounce. On any other vehicle, these shocks (stock) would be considered for replacement because of this behavior. Unfortunately I am told this is how it is designed.....so basically another powder puff SUV that the girls can drive around town that has a nice soft ride. Out on the open highway it is downright dangerous. Stopping takes quite a while, and when you do finally stop the front end is diving down - then the bouncing up and down up to six times before shock recovery. "Normal" as for as the Toyota mechanics I took for a ride had to offer. Not satisfied, so I am looking at a complete set of Bilstein's from Shock Warehouse to replace the bad factory stock shocks. I think this will make a world of difference. And suggestions, please, would be helpful. Thank You !!
Old 03-25-2014, 07:03 AM   #2
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
That seems to be a common complaint amongst owners. I never really had any issues that stood out for me on my 2010 Trail even after I added an ARB bar and is sagged. I went ahead and put my money towards an Old Man Emu setup and haven't been happier.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:20 PM   #3
Well, shocks are on the way. The Bilstein's have been on back order for the forward shocks. I just drove this thing to Las Vegas from Phoenix and back. I was TERRIFIED by the lack of control of this vehicle doing anything over 65-70mph. Had to drive at slower than the 75 limit. Body roll, all over the road. I cannot wait to get the garbage shocks off this thing this coming weekend. Right now, it only goes out around town, and stays off the highway.

Another thing of note, the brakes. I need to be halfway down on the peddle to get any braking effect, and this thing takes forever to stop unless you slam of the brakes hard. Scary. My 2014 Tacoma does not handle in this fashion, actually it handles more like a dam n sports car. The 4 Runner is like driving a cruise liner around. My dealer tells me that anything BUT the trail model is a "chick" truck, in other words - ridiculously soft ride. On a vehicle this size and weight that a very dangerous thing. I am waiting to see if the right shocks installed this weekend will make a difference. Could be that the nose dive effect is having an effect on the braking via the weight bearing effect. It's like driving a vehicle with only two wheel braking.

If that doesn't help, it's after market brakes for this one as well. What a shame - my other 4 Runners never drove as damn scary as this SR5 Premium.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:31 AM   #4
Titus is on a distinguished road
Titus's Tacoma Gallery
bummers… I'm looking into buying the same vehicle. During the test drive, I did notice the body roll but didn't check for the bounce. Wanted the trail edition but the 3rd row seating helps with kids (small as it is). Either way I'm pretty set on it. Please let me know how the Bilsteins work out for you. I'm sure they will be much better than those stock nameless black ones.

btw, how do you like the entune head unit?
Old 05-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #5
ozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really nice

ozmon420's Tacoma Gallery
you should test drive a trail with kdss, and see if there is a difference with the body roll.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:11 PM   #6
I was right. It's like driving a completely different vehicle. No more annoying and dangerous body roll, no more extremely long shock recovery. It is EXACTLY like replacing badly worn shocks on a vehicle. It's unbelievable. The stock shocks (Tokico stamp on the metal) that they use are way too soft for this class vehicle. Anyhow, I highly recommend a full set of Bilstein's - front and rear - for the SR5. It's an inexpensive and #1 modification not only for the difference in ride - but for your very safety.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:16 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmon420 View Post
you should test drive a trail with kdss, and see if there is a difference with the body roll.
Actually did that yesterday for the heck of it while waiting for my Tacoma to come out of service. Drove some everyday scenario driving with two of the SR5's - and made the service manager very nervous....then went in the Trail with the KDSS with a notable difference in control. Later on we took a drive in my wife's 4Runner with the new Bilsteins on it. A world of difference, and he was no longer plastering his hands on the dashboard and sweating.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:24 PM   #8
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Great to hear you found a solution.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:01 AM   #9
ozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really nice

ozmon420's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuseater View Post
Actually did that yesterday for the heck of it while waiting for my Tacoma to come out of service. Drove some everyday scenario driving with two of the SR5's - and made the service manager very nervous....then went in the Trail with the KDSS with a notable difference in control. Later on we took a drive in my wife's 4Runner with the new Bilsteins on it. A world of difference, and he was no longer plastering his hands on the dashboard and sweating.
op,in your opinion which drove and felt better the trail w/kdss or ur sr5 w/bilstein's?
Old 05-24-2014, 06:52 AM   #10
Timbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Timothy
Timbo89's Tacoma Gallery
I agree on the brakes deal they are way different then the tacoma set up. Nose does dive down but for my wife and 1 month old it rides good and smooth. Sr5 model. Once it needs them I will switch to the better shocks.